• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Navigation System ?

akboselk

if you want an onboard system, t-navi is superior to sala. t-navi is sold via mobitel and have added features like live traffic updates, points of interest and 3d nav maps.

Edited by Ripper

• 1 year later...
@JD, Mate whats the link that you got the Sri Lanka map. Did search but ended up with a Elakiri link . (After going through that particular Elakiri forum page ,felt bit dizzy ! Trust me on that)

faced same here.. Is JD using USA maps since he is in USA?

Edited by Nirosha

Do

I got Navitel installed on my galaxy S2. works pretty well. Had to try few times to get it functional. I got all info from elakiri.

If needed you can have sinhala voice support as well.

Downloaded the navitel app and map from the given link , but it couldn't be installed. It says no programme to open the .apk file. (S3 )Did you install it via the pc?

Do Downloaded the navitel app and map from the given link , but it couldn't be installed. It says no programme to open the .apk file. (S3 )Did you install it via the pc?

I've installed it without a problem on my s2, directly copied it on to the phone memory and installed.

Got this simple steps from a web site. might be of a help.

1. First of all download .apk files into your computer.
  2. On your phone, go to Settings.
  3. Scroll to Security and lock screen, then tap on it.
  4. Tap on Device administration.
  5. Tick the Unknown sources checkbox to allow your phone to install apps from sources another than the Play Store.
  6. Click OK on the window that contains the warning message ofinstalling third-party .apk apps.
  7. Connect your phone to your computer using a micro USB cable.
  8. Once the devices are connected, copy the downloaded .apk file from your computer to your phone. Save this file in the apk folder on the SD card.
  9. On your phone, Go to My files app.
  10. On this app, select the storage area and find the folder that contains the .apk files that you want to install on /storage/sdcard0/apk/
  11. Tap on .apk files to begin installation.
  12. Wait until the installation is complete.
  13. Done. Now your selected third-party .apk files have been successfully installed on your phone.

remember torestart the phone after installation, and after coping the atlas folder to the due place.

Edited by nadisha

I dunno if the directions on Google Maps suffice, but it has improved a lot recently. I don't think the voice reading out directions works in this area yet, but the turn by turn instructions are definitely available. And its hella flexible for planning, if you start at the desktop, coz you can drag your route out of the suggested road to take other roads if you want to, save it, and have it available on the phone when travelling.

Same with Nokia Maps. I've used older version of Nokia Navigation for a long time in SL using a plain old 5800XpressMusic. It has turn by turn voice instructions, route planning on the web, frequent stops etc. but as expected traffic and road repair was not supported over here. It was really good in finding the shortest route though, despite the road and traffic conditions.

I do remember one time, taking a completely different way towards Kandy, through dompe etc where a me and a friend kept making random turns just to see if Nav can guide us back to the right track and surprisingly it did. We were able to get to warakapola only using rural roads.

Sadly the new version Nokia Here Drive+ doesn't work in this region. So using GPS Voice Navigation on my Lumia 820 which consumes Nokia Maps for the Geo Data. Works well but not as confident as I was with the Nokia Navigation.

I've installed it without a problem on my s2, directly copied it on to the phone memory and installed.

Got this simple steps from a web site. might be of a help.

1. First of all download .apk files into your computer.
  2. On your phone, go to Settings.
  3. Scroll to Security and lock screen, then tap on it.
  4. Tap on Device administration.
  5. Tick the Unknown sources checkbox to allow your phone to install apps from sources another than the Play Store.
  6. Click OK on the window that contains the warning message ofinstalling third-party .apk apps.
  7. Connect your phone to your computer using a micro USB cable.
  8. Once the devices are connected, copy the downloaded .apk file from your computer to your phone. Save this file in the apk folder on the SD card.
  9. On your phone, Go to My files app.
  10. On this app, select the storage area and find the folder that contains the .apk files that you want to install on /storage/sdcard0/apk/
  11. Tap on .apk files to begin installation.
  12. Wait until the installation is complete.
  13. Done. Now your selected third-party .apk files have been successfully installed on your phone.

remember torestart the phone after installation, and after coping the atlas folder to the due place.

Thanks for information. Could you give us links to download the .apk file and the atlas. Files I've downloaded have some problems, the software stops at 90% of indexing the maps.

Thanks

thanks pericles !!!!

all credits goes to my friends at elakiri forum for providing these....

first download the following files.

1. navitel 5.0.4 .apk https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B18a-5i2px9tTTJ2TV9RM1BCY1U/edit?usp=sharing

2. navitel 5.5 .apk http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7aip4dfdg0d40o/Navitel_elakiri_tnnera.rar

3. maps for app http://www.mediafire.com/download/7iqf73fizz4qqil/Atlas_tnnera_elakiri.com.zip

first 2 are APK's and third one contain maps.

first install navitel 5.0.4 apk on the mobile. (you may follow the instructions above)

then restart the phone and open the application. every thing is in Russian, so change the language to English. then it will ask whether to activate traffic jam feature - forbid it (apparently the feature is not working in sri lanka - at least for me :) ).

this will create a folder called "navitelcontent", this is important in next step.

then unzip the Atlas_tnnera..... zip folder, and it will create a folder named "atlas".

copy this "atlas" folder into "Navitelcontent\maps" folder.

restart the phone, open the application, and allow the maps to get indexed.

after indexing you can use the old application if you need, but i prefer the looks of the newer program. :)

If you need the new program

uninstall navitel 5.0.4 app. (do not do anything to Navitelcontent folder)

then install navitel 5.5 app and restart phone, and you will be able to use the maps without indexing.

this worked to me, tested on my galaxy S2. fully offline maps. I did not try to update the maps. These maps are 2011-2012 maps. navitel 7.5 is now available as I know, and maps for Sri Lanka for that version I could not find....

Hope you will find this useful.

Edited by nadisha

• 5 months later...
thanks pericles !!!!

all credits goes to my friends at elakiri forum for providing these....

first download the following files.

1. navitel 5.0.4 .apk https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B18a-5i2px9tTTJ2TV9RM1BCY1U/edit?usp=sharing

2. navitel 5.5 .apk http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7aip4dfdg0d40o/Navitel_elakiri_tnnera.rar

3. maps for app http://www.mediafire.com/download/7iqf73fizz4qqil/Atlas_tnnera_elakiri.com.zip

first 2 are APK's and third one contain maps.

first install navitel 5.0.4 apk on the mobile. (you may follow the instructions above)

then restart the phone and open the application. every thing is in Russian, so change the language to English. then it will ask whether to activate traffic jam feature - forbid it (apparently the feature is not working in sri lanka - at least for me :) ).

this will create a folder called "navitelcontent", this is important in next step.

then unzip the Atlas_tnnera..... zip folder, and it will create a folder named "atlas".

copy this "atlas" folder into "Navitelcontent\maps" folder.

restart the phone, open the application, and allow the maps to get indexed.

after indexing you can use the old application if you need, but i prefer the looks of the newer program. :)

If you need the new program

uninstall navitel 5.0.4 app. (do not do anything to Navitelcontent folder)

then install navitel 5.5 app and restart phone, and you will be able to use the maps without indexing.

this worked to me, tested on my galaxy S2. fully offline maps. I did not try to update the maps. These maps are 2011-2012 maps. navitel 7.5 is now available as I know, and maps for Sri Lanka for that version I could not find....

Hope you will find this useful.

Thank you very much Nadisha!. Its working perfectly with Galaxy s3.

Anyone tried this on Galaxy S4? I was able to install Navitel 8 (older versions are not working), but the copied maps from the older version does not load here. But the Navitel is loading and detecting satellites pretty fast.

Edited by kushan

I'm using "Navigator" in my S4, its pretty good and most of maps available with voice navigation. I can recommend that without any hassle

"Navigator" or "Navitel" ?