• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Davy

My father had this model (1978) couple of years back and it's one hell of a ride. Very solid and I still remember the whisper of the loving Saturn engine. Brings lot of memories.

Wow machan,,,

I knew that it was you even before opening the thread machan... This is one hell of a job well done.. can only imagine what you went through make her glimmer again... Hats off bro...

Ah,,, engine parts kept in the trunk of your CS3 when you took da pics rite,,, new generation helping the restoration of the elders... :)

Cheers mate...

P.S. eagerly awaiting the rest of the pics.....

Thanks a lot bro!

About the trunk, no machang, on this particular day my dad had to make some important trips in the CS3, so I had to borrow a friend's Cefiro to take the parts to a machine workshop in Negombo to be polished and so on. So that's the trunk of a Cefiro you're seeing. :)

It makes my heart leap to see the good old 4G33 shining as the day it left the factory :) How much did this labour of love cost you? I know it isn't about money but I am just curious.

I have a little labour of love myself, my old Mirage. Now nobody gets me as to why I dump massive amounts of money into it every year even though I only drive it for about 2-3 weeks every year. And I've probably spent a lot more money than its worth and continue to do so, because it has sentimental value to me. It's the first car I bought with my own money :) The time will come when I need to find it another hopefully equally loving home but for now it will remain my loyal servant and will be treated to some goodies in a couple of weeks time :) Can't wait!

Thanks again! It took a whole lot of time, effort and of course money to bring that 4G33 back into that condition. Since you asked, the machine shop charges + the cost of spare parts + the labour charges came to around Rs. 80,000, and that's without some of the money I spent on the chrome water lines and the engine cover paint and some other things. But all that was worth it in the end... I will never forget the sound of that engine and the feeling I had when I touched 150km/h on the Negombo road right after the engine overhaul. :)

I understand how much of negativity you get when you invest so much of your time, money and effort on a car that most people don't even notice. But it's as you said because of the sentimental attachment I have towards the car. For me, this car was the first I ever drove, the car I used to get my driver's license, the car my dad used to take me for classes in, the car I've driven the fastest, the car I've been in an accident for the first time etc. etc. So over the years it has not just carried people, it carried memories as well. That's what most people don't understand.

Keep working on your Mirage mate. The end feeling after you've done something like this is too damn good to miss. :) Good luck!

• Like 8

Damn.!! how did you make up your mind to get rid of that car?? :(

Yeah, seriously.

Long story guys. I just had to... :(

Let's just say that sometimes life is not 100% fair..

Great work dude... wish there were more threads like this.

I'm contemplating on starting a project on a battered old E30 which I found in a semi-running state... but a bit reluctant to touch it because of the time commitment. I see that u have spent a significant amount of time on this project. Care to mention how much was the time commitment?

If I were you, I would have lost the WRC decal. Also fixed fender mirrors instead, to keep the originality. Any reason for wing mirrors? Just to make life a bit easier?

I'm contemplating on starting a project on a battered old E30 which I found in a semi-running state... but a bit reluctant to touch it because of the time commitment. I see that u have spent a significant amount of time on this project. Care to mention how much was the time commitment?

If I were you, I would have lost the WRC decal. Also fixed fender mirrors instead, to keep the originality. Any reason for wing mirrors? Just to make life a bit easier?

Crosswind, what is the state of the E30 and are the issues mechanical, electronic or bodywork related? You can find E30 parts for very little from Europe these days but as I recently found out some components like the carburettors seems to be pretty rare for a car which was mass produced!

man that car is in immaculate condition hats off to both you and your father all ways love to see car restoration topics mate.

• Like 1

Long story guys. I just had to... :(

Let's just say that sometimes life is not 100% fair..

well davy,

i think you should get her back....i have told this to you the other day.... :rolleyes:

i know the feeling you get when you look at your now...since i have the same model

Hats off to you mate and ur dad too

I learnt driving in the same model too (saloon version) superb car

did urs have a/c ?

Thanks a lot bro!

About the trunk, no machang, on this particular day my dad had to make some important trips in the CS3, so I had to borrow a friend's Cefiro to take the parts to a machine workshop in Negombo to be polished and so on. So that's the trunk of a Cefiro you're seeing. :)

Thanks Crosswind!

Sure like to see that E30 of yours. I understand the restrictions on time... I was still studding when the car underwent the major body repair in 2003 and I usually run straight to the workshop instead of going home. :) With time, as I started to work, the free time just went down drastically. Sometimes the car would just sit there for months without anything being done.

As for your question about time, the body restoration which took about 4 months (December 2003 - March 2004), I think that's a bit fast considering the extent of repair it had to undergo. It was a full time thing as well. The guys working on the car worked on it daily for three months.

The engine overhaul was a bit easier because this was in 2010 and the car had become the secondary car. Finding the parts just took about a week or so, but the detailing (porting, engine cover painting, turning out water lines in chrome and other detailing) took some time because I had to run about to get them done. I just checked my photo collection and according to that the engine was disassembled on the 20th of June 2010 and it was re-mounted on the 14th of August. So about 2 months there I guess.

One other thing that I couldn't find a set of pictures yet was for the electrical system overhaul. That took a massive 3 months because I had the car re-wired and had it done according to the original specs. Ran about in Panchikawatta to find recon wire harnesses and so on. Gave the car to a very experienced dude who worked on my car during the weekend only as it was a part time thing for him.

Apart from that I spent time on overhauling the steering system and brakes as well. That took about a month or so because I converted the front from drum and liner to disks. :)

About the WRC decals, yeah I get what you mean... I did them myself when I was about 17. So I guess it was an "age thing". :D I get what you mean.

The stock side mirrors are still with me... it was my dad's idea to put the new ones on. No particular reason though. I think I thought it looked nicer at the time. Plus it's a real headache when you need to adjust the mirrors when they're on the fender. :)

well davy,

i think you should get her back....i have told this to you the other day.... :rolleyes:

i know the feeling you get when you look at your now...since i have the same model

Thanks Rameez!. Yeah, if we're "meant to be", I'll make her mine again some day. :D

Hats off to you mate and ur dad too

I learnt driving in the same model too (saloon version) superb car

did urs have a/c ?

Thanks carboy2011! Technically both the sedan and the wagon are the same as far as I know, and both are equally great! :)

Yes my car had factory fitted AC as well.

It took me almost three months to complete the engine. I got the engine bay painted and worked on as well. Purchased all parts from no other place than Panchikawatta. Can't count the number of days that me and my mechanic used to walk through all those shops and dodgy places to find the stuff we needed. :D

Will post the next set of photos when I have the time.. this is it for now. Let me know what you guys think. :)

Fantastic effort there buddy! :grinning-smiley-003:

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys!

A picture taken right after the engine was mounted onto the car:

DSC00577.thumb.JPG.1b44921d126a2d4f9b0349557f8330c2.JPG

I wanted to add an air filter because a friend of mine gave one to me for very cheap. However, there was a problem in installing it because the stock air filter is a "flat pan type" and spacing was an issue. But my dad used to own a Mitsubishi Delica T120 a long time ago and I remembered that the assembly on top of the carburetor will solve the problem. So I went hunting to see if I can find one. And I did. :)

Did some work on it, painted it in metallic silver and....

1983808726_NewAirFilterInstalled.thumb.JPG.a2b64972775d38c765c5271ae80b0b03.JPG

Back at the garage after the first trial run:

178177631_3.UnderTheHood.thumb.JPG.dae9600dd8b117282000827ef3789260.JPG

Edit:

As you can see, the breather line from the engine cover to the stock air filter is still open. I later found a small breather filter for that as well.

Edited by Davy
Fixed Broken Image Links
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

great to c a72 guys i love this car even i have a modified a72 1400sl 5speed

Great job. Love to see such projects.

this guy deserves a medal! :)

Thanks for all your comments guys! Appreciate it a lot! :) I'm sure I had more pics of the rewiring and the disk brake conversion and stuff, will share as soon as I get hold of them.

great to c a72 guys i love this car even i have a modified a72 1400sl 5speed

Ah the good old SL sedan... I like the fact that it had a 5 speed gearbox and the RPM meter and stuff. I wanted to replace my 4 speed gearbox with one from an SL but my mechanic advised me against it, so I stuck to the original.

I've seen some SLs with turbo, does yours have one?

yes but also u can use a oil cach can then u want drip any oil to ur distributer

Yes, you're quite right, the breather kind of gets damp with oil but not so much as to drip onto the distributor. Was this something you did on yours?

• MADZ pinned this topic