• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Double Clutch Gear Box

T-Bag

While you guys updating site interface I took my micra to service yesterday. In there I met a guy and he kept talking about "Double Clutch Gear Box" over and over. So I did some google and couldn't find any clear explanations about that thing.. Can anyone explain it to me in simple English.. What is it?

While you guys updating site interface I took my micra to service yesterday. In there I met a guy and he kept talking about "Double Clutch Gear Box" over and over. So I did some google and couldn't find any clear explanations about that thing.. Can anyone explain it to me in simple English.. What is it?

'T-Bag',

Double clutch denotes that you press the clutch and nutral the engine then release the clutch then press again to engage the gear as far as I know this was practiced by good old day drivers.;

Sylvi Wijesinghe

'T-Bag',

Double clutch denotes that you press the clutch and nutral the engine then release the clutch then press again to engage the gear as far as I know this was practiced by good old day drivers.;

Sylvi Wijesinghe

That is double clutch no.. But this guy talked about a gear box type.. Wiki says it use for racing purpose but don't have a clear explanation..

Edited by T-Bag

Double clutch......dual clutch....whatever.......refers today to a new style of auto transmission box where the torque convertor has been dumped in favour of a system where two clutches control the gear selection. It's a little bit like the older pre-selector boxes in that with the dual clutch box effectively two gears are engaged at the same time with servo assisted clutches switching out of the redundant gear and into the new ration in a fraction of a second.

It's claimed that these boxes - found in cars including VWs, Fiats, some Fords, Mercs, Mitsi Evos, Ferarris and so on - are smooth, allow gear changes to take place with hardly any torque loss and combine auto and maual shift options well.

All I can say is, Gawd help the poor owners of vehicles with these boxes when they pack in after warranty is gone. And you thought Audi trannies were crap!

Double clutch......dual clutch....whatever.......refers today to a new style of auto transmission box where the torque convertor has been dumped in favour of a system where two clutches control the gear selection. It's a little bit like the older pre-selector boxes in that with the dual clutch box effectively two gears are engaged at the same time with servo assisted clutches switching out of the redundant gear and into the new ration in a fraction of a second.

It's claimed that these boxes - found in cars including VWs, Fiats, some Fords, Mercs, Mitsi Evos, Ferarris and so on - are smooth, allow gear changes to take place with hardly any torque loss and combine auto and maual shift options well.

All I can say is, Gawd help the poor owners of vehicles with these boxes when they pack in after warranty is gone. And you thought Audi trannies were crap!

Ya. Ya. That's exactly what that chap came across.. Warranty is out and now he got some trouble with the box.

Thanks, mate.. Still cofused, but got the basic idea.

Edited by T-Bag

So is this the main reason for the better fuel efficiency of the Fiat punto ?

New ford focus's and fiesta's also uses a dual clutch transmissions. they have dry clutches requiring no ATF. i have driven both and they both have surprisingly smooth shifts even in hard acceleration.

'T-Bag',

Sylvi Wijesinghe

:speechless-smiley-004: Oh boy. That was on old CTB-buses that had a non-synchronous gearboxes.

Punto doesn't come with a dual clutch box. What they call duologic box has a single electronically controlled clutch. I believe it's the efficiency of the engine that makes the difference. Incidentally, Tata has licensed the engine used in the Punto to be installed in Tata Manza (what they call Safire Engine) and Tata claims fuel efficiency levels of 25+km to the litre. Now who needs hybrids with these fuel figures?

New ford focus's and fiesta's also uses a dual clutch transmissions. they have dry clutches requiring no ATF. i have driven both and they both have surprisingly smooth shifts even in hard acceleration.

News to me. Focus I own (2011 model) has a boring ol' semi-auto tranny. So does the 2012 Focus that comes to Sri Lanka. Is this in Sri Lanka or elsewhere? AFAIK, Sri Lanka gets the export versions of Foci made in Europe.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Punto doesn't come with a dual clutch box. What they call duologic box has a single electronically controlled clutch. I believe it's the efficiency of the engine that makes the difference. Incidentally, Tata has licensed the engine used in the Punto to be installed in Tata Manza (what they call Safire Engine) and Tata claims fuel efficiency levels of 25+km to the litre. Now who needs hybrids with these fuel figures?

Thanks for the clarification... must watch the above vids at home , this office line is rather slow.....

The Fiat Punto box is not a dual or twin clutch. It's a single clutch unit very similar to old Alfa Selespeed. But yes since there is no power sapping torque converter it should be more efficiant.

• Like 1