• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Clean Alloy Wheels

ashan82

'ashan82' ,

Can you explain the condition of your alloy wheels. They were never cleaned before?

Do you get patches or like corroded spots only

Most A/W cleaners use very thin wire brushes attached to a hand electric drill.

Some times if they are not that bad dirty you can try with soap and water have to take out the wheel and use normal floor cleaning brush clean same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'ashan82',

you have to use the wire brush method with a cleaner your out side is OK only inside there are spots.

If you can show the wheels when ever you come to Colombo I can advice you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Silvi

where can v meet up

I can recommend the armor all wheel cleaner. Had some amazing results even without a wire brush in removing brake dust + oil deposits

I agree... for Rs600, that thing really worked.

• Like 1

I agree... for Rs600, that thing really worked.

Get a can of 3m stainless steel cleaner/polish. Leave it on for a few minutes and rub the spots off using a scouring pad.

Thanks experts shall try these and update.

I spent a few hours with armorall wheel cleaner and 4 wet wheels of my truck yesterday :P

Removed all wheels, pressure washed the rims to get most of the muck out and used the foaming cleaner on em.

Followed instructions and left foam for a bit and brushed it off.

It did a pretty decent job on more cleaner bits of the wheel but didn't really do much for the inside part of the wheel that had lots more discoloration, deposits etc

I used it like 4-5 times on each wheel, used a plastic bristled brush to clean but the more stubborn marking didn't budge.

But the outside wheel bits are nice n shiny now :)

IMO, if you're wheels are not so busted up and dirty, armorall wheel cleaner will do a super job.

If the wheels have marks and have more stubborn stains etc...this product alone wont cut.

You might have to use a steel polish of some sorts with an abrasive pad of sorts... I think next time around, i will use a scouring pad and some brasso!

All the parts stores sell mag cleaner, its great, spray it on use a old tooth brush leave it on for no longer than 1 or2 minutes, wash it of with hose , the last one i purchased was called Eagle mag cleaner it was great.

I spent a few hours with armorall wheel cleaner and 4 wet wheels of my truck yesterday :P

Removed all wheels, pressure washed the rims to get most of the muck out and used the foaming cleaner on em.

Followed instructions and left foam for a bit and brushed it off.

It did a pretty decent job on more cleaner bits of the wheel but didn't really do much for the inside part of the wheel that had lots more discoloration, deposits etc

I used it like 4-5 times on each wheel, used a plastic bristled brush to clean but the more stubborn marking didn't budge.

But the outside wheel bits are nice n shiny now :)

IMO, if you're wheels are not so busted up and dirty, armorall wheel cleaner will do a super job.

If the wheels have marks and have more stubborn stains etc...this product alone wont cut.

You might have to use a steel polish of some sorts with an abrasive pad of sorts... I think next time around, i will use a scouring pad and some brasso!

is that really a good idea with alloys? Don't they have a coating of lacquer/anti-oxidant?

is that really a good idea with alloys? Don't they have a coating of lacquer/anti-oxidant?

honestly, i dont know machang! Mine is a 4x4, goes through some punishment once in a while so i really wont bother too much about it :P

But i think if you have fair bit of stubborn deposits and stuff, without using some form of abrasive stuff...it will be nearly impossible to get things out.

From what's i've seen to discovery turbo etc... folks tend to use abrasive polishes etc and then use a wax sorta thing to protect the "new" metal.

• 5 years later...