• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Best Roads For Driving

Californikan

As long as the road is single lane the entire journey will be at a snail's pace, behind all those lorries, buses, trishaws and barakaraththa.

True, yet compared to the previous state of the same road and the way it has been widened and given that this is one of the toughest decent with unforgiving terrain............this is a remarkable achievement. Secondly imagine the finance cost of building two lanes..........if you need to speed go early in the morning or at night......then you will lose the beautiful scenery.

Looking at the practical side, we need to say kudos when it really is, rather than complaining for every thing............:)

• Like 5

True, yet compared to the previous state of the same road and the way it has been widened and given that this is one of the toughest decent with unforgiving terrain............this is a remarkable achievement. Secondly imagine the finance cost of building two lanes..........if you need to speed go early in the morning or at night......then you will lose the beautiful scenery.

Looking at the practical side, we need to say kudos when it really is, rather than complaining for every thing............ :)

Mirrors in every corner..........very good safety device.

And there are stretches where you can overtake where center marker clearly showing...........and yes your vehicle should have the power to do so.......any average Toyota, Nissan, Honda or Suziki with 1.5L engine can do that.............so what to whine about.............enjoy.................:)

• Like 1

Already planned for a drive along with 4 other cars (mind u,not the normal granny 141's :P ). Any idea of the ideal time for some fun?

'CyRaX',

Like to have your comments after the drive on this newly done road. If can get a video and upload same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I drive at least once a month to Mahiyanganaya .. for the last 4-5 months this was the only viable route from Kandy as Raja Mawatha was on a really crumbling stage from Rantambe onwards, past Loggaloya. I've driven my old K11 while the 18 (now 16) bends were nothing but a canal of mud and rock in Dec 2010 to Apr 2011. Lots of pukka cars turned back at the sight of the road under construction, but the faithful K11scraped on (with a lot of agony to the undercarriage) to emerge quite brown and muddied on the Hasalaka side.

Now, it's a pleasure to drive on .. there is not much traffic, specially on the afternoons when I start from Pallekale and a real pleasing drive - whether you wanna take it slow or put the pedal to the metal.

All that being said, I would still vote for Raja Mawatha to be the 'more' scenic route to Mahiyanganaya. And I really hope the authorities now would turn their attention to that road (at least to the portion in the Uva province), so that it would not remain virtually inaccessible for long.

'CyRaX',

Like to have your comments after the drive on this newly done road. If can get a video and upload same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Absolutely. Will be heading out thursday night, hope to be back in colombo by friday eve.

Already planned for a drive along with 4 other cars (mind u,not the normal granny 141's :P ). Any idea of the ideal time for some fun?

Better to avoid early mornings and late afternoons ,because fog is a real concern there. I think after 9 in the morning would be nice. Mate,have some fun and upload a vedio! :)

Better to avoid early mornings and late afternoons ,because fog is a real concern there. I think after 9 in the morning would be nice. Mate,have some fun and upload a vedio! :)

Well the problem is i dont know about the traffic level. Since we wouldn't be light on the pedal what would be the ideal time for some fun? Wouldnt there be too many slow creepers around 9?

I wouldnt mind the mist much unless it's worst like in haputale.

Edited by CyRaX

Well the problem is i dont know about the traffic level. Since we wouldn't be light on the pedal what would be the ideal time for some fun? Wouldnt there be too many slow creepers around 9?

i think your main traffic problem will be the trucks on that road.looking at the road maybe buses try to race with each other so watch out for them and don't take unnecessary risks machan hope you enjoy your road trip good luck.

Slow creepers are inevitable mate!. So prepare for some aggressive and safe overtaking ,but as nexus said dont take unnecessary risks. Good luck!

I drive at least once a month to Mahiyanganaya .. for the last 4-5 months this was the only viable route from Kandy as Raja Mawatha was on a really crumbling stage from Rantambe onwards, past Loggaloya. I've driven my old K11 while the 18 (now 16) bends were nothing but a canal of mud and rock in Dec 2010 to Apr 2011. Lots of pukka cars turned back at the sight of the road under construction, but the faithful K11scraped on (with a lot of agony to the undercarriage) to emerge quite brown and muddied on the Hasalaka side.

Now, it's a pleasure to drive on .. there is not much traffic, specially on the afternoons when I start from Pallekale and a real pleasing drive - whether you wanna take it slow or put the pedal to the metal.

All that being said, I would still vote for Raja Mawatha to be the 'more' scenic route to Mahiyanganaya. And I really hope the authorities now would turn their attention to that road (at least to the portion in the Uva province), so that it would not remain virtually inaccessible for long.

Really agree.......there was a time the Randenigala Rantambe was in good condition. We used to travel through that just for the fun of it. The san carrying trucks ruined the road. Hope the authorities will put that road in shape as well. Will be a good strategic connectivity for the Eastern side of the country through Mahiyangana and Bibila