• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rugby Season 2012

Well .. So called 'free' media : effectively biased one way or the other. Makes you wonder how the ordinary man is to judge the truth of what's happening around him, unless he witnesses it first hand!

BTW, Pathana/Thurstan is supposed to happen today.

Bradby 02nd leg and STC/SJC on Saturday.

Edited by vishkid

Well .. So called 'free' media : effectively biased one way or the other. Makes you wonder how the ordinary man is to judge the truth of what's happening around him, unless he witnesses it first hand!

BTW, Pathana/Thurstan is supposed to happen today.

Bradby 02nd leg and STC/SJC on Saturday.

we always had problems with the media.. i remember when i was playing cricket the slightest lost turned into headlines in all papers.. but when we won there was nothing much...

but i think through the years our school has compounded the issue through politizising everything.. i just joined the canadian old boys commitee here.. and u cant belive the politics here..

i watched most of the games live waking up every morning.. and i can safely say that we didnt win most matched by referees calls.. its rugby man.. u cant win by bad calls alone...

• 4 weeks later...

Vidyartha found guilty of fielding overage players

Vidyartha College Kandy who came into the top league this season having earned a promotion as champions of the Division 1B segment in 2011 was found guilty of having fielded overage players in some of the recently concluded Singer Under 20 inter-schools Rugby league tournament matches.

An inquiry which was held on Monday had to be postponed to Wednesday as the Principal of Vidyartha and the two boys who were told to be present failed to turn up.

According to Rohana Karunaratne the Director of Sports, Ministry of Education, Vidyartha was found guilty beyond doubt when one of the two boys (R.M.S. Bandara) against whom the allegation was made, admitted when he was shown that the picture in the identity card issued by the Sri Lanka Schools Rugby Football Association (SLSRFA) was not his.

The Director said there were two other identity cards in their possession but as only one boy presented himself we were unable to identify the other two. So in short Vidyartha has played three overage boys in three different games during the season.

The Director said “I will be sending my report at the earliest to the SLSRFA and the rest of the action is left to be taken by the SLSRFA and I recommend them to take the best ever action possible which will give the others to think twice if they are looking forward to make a repeat of this”.

The incident cropped up after Isipathana in a letter protested that Vidyartha had fielded an overage player in the match against them which was played in Colombo and also alleged that they had repeated it on several occasions.

At the initial inquiry which was only supposed to have been taken by the SLSRFA President Ranjith Chandrasekera the verdict was given in favour of Vidyartha with their Rugby Committee even holding a special press conference to brush aside the allegations made by Isipathana which in the end gave the correct picture and proved Isipathana right. Isipathana having learnt of the decision made an appeal to the Director of Sports and was also contemplating taking sterner or legal action if anything did not materialize accordingly.

Susantha Mendis Secretary of the SLSRFA when inquired regarding the Singer League Championship title said now that Vidyartha has been found guilty there is a possibility of Isipathana being declared official champions.

The final decision will be taken only after we receive the official confirmation letter from the Director of Sports, Ministry of Education which we are expecting today. According to the secretary, after the decision taken against Vidyartha, Trinity and Isipathana will be joint leaders but Isipathana has the edge because they have scored more tries.

We are not going to reverse any results involving matches played by Vidyartha who will definitely be demoted, but if any decisions are to be taken it be will done according to the standing rules of the SLSRFA said Susantha Mendis.

Quote- Daily mirror- Thursday 26th

MINIACE

IMO, Vidyartha should be disqualified for the entirety of the league and thus demoted suspended and by doing so, all their victories would be null and void.

The basis points should be given to the opponents - what's wrong with it?

League champion(s) should also be declared accordingly.

Edited by vishkid

Ruby referee gets suspension

Rugby referee D. Nimal has been suspended until inquiries against him are completed according to an official of the Sri Lanka Rugby Football Union. Nimal controlled the game between SriLanka Army and Up Country Lions which was played at the Jayatilleke Stadium in Nawalapitiya.

The Up Country Lions won the match 23-20, and the soldiers protested over some of the decisions made by the referee concerned after the game.

Acting on the protest the SLRFU viewed the video of the match and took the decision to suspend the referee till a final inquiry is made by the Tournament Committee. The officials who watched the video is of the opinion that a decision made by the referee over a try scored by the soldiers was not in accordance and took the decision to suspend him.

This is the first occasion that a referee has been suspended over a protest by a team in Sri Lanka rugby history.

Daily Miror Published : 1:18 pm July 26, 2012

Atleast two other referees should get the same treatment.

MINIACE

.......and few coaches as well

(Srilankamirror) – The rugby coach of Royal College, Colombo is accused of sexually abusing the children under him, Neth FM reports.

In a letter to the director of school sports, parents of Royal College’s rugby playes allege the coach, Bilal Yusuf, had abused a child during a three-day workshop in April.

That child victim, in turn, got favoured and was given the opportunity to play in every game during the last season, says the letter.

Also, the coach stands accused of turning the children to alcohol consumption after every game at parties at five-star hotels.

Following a game against S. Thomas’ Colleg, Mt. Lavinia, he had forced the children to dance half naked.

The parents’ letter also accuses him of buying referees and collecting money from the children for the purpose.

The coach was sacked from two schools previously on sexual abuse charges, and the parents request the director of school sports to take appropriate action against him.

Edited by milinda

Kandy beat Havies 20-15 and earned the top spot again.

MINIACE

Damn .. that was another hard fought mach. Was rooting for Havies but they let the last one through :(

This is nothing but an adult cry. Sad TCK lost the title. But should not cry for it. A principal of a leading college shouldnt comment like a school boy.

As highlighted it was highly unethical for this cry baby principal of TCK to be in the committee, which decided VCK was innocent and TCK the league champs during the initial hearing. How fair is that??Then Isipathana complaint the matter to the higher authorities and the justice was delivered after a huge struggle.

MINIACE

This is nothing but an adult cry. Sad TCK lost the title. But should not cry for it. A principal of a leading college shouldnt comment like a school boy.

As highlighted it was highly unethical for this cry baby principal of TCK to be in the committee, which decided VCK was innocent and TCK the league champs during the initial hearing. How fair is that??Then Isipathana complaint the matter to the higher authorities and the justice was delivered after a huge struggle.

MINIACE

Hats off to Isipathana for persisting for the 'eventual' justice to prevail. If TCK think they are the 'deserving' champions, they can do that by playing to knockouts to win!

It was really unethical for the TCK principal to rule out the Isipathana complaint as invalid, thus trying to keep the title for his school in the first place.

Hats off to Isipathana for persisting for the 'eventual' justice to prevail. If TCK think they are the 'deserving' champions, they can do that by playing to knockouts to win!

It was really unethical for the TCK principal to rule out the Isipathana complaint as invalid, thus trying to keep the title for his school in the first place.

If its unethical for the TCK principal to rule out Isipathana's complaint as invalid, I wonder what you would have to say to the Principal of Kingswood College.(The President of Sri Lanka Schools Rugby Association)

If its unethical for the TCK principal to rule out Isipathana's complaint as invalid, I wonder what you would have to say to the Principal of Kingswood College.(The President of Sri Lanka Schools Rugby Association)

Nothing. He had no vested interest in the matter (one hopes so). His fault was not conducting a proper investigation and rushing with the 'not-guilty' conclusion, but that appliers to all VP's of the SLSRFA which includes all schools. TCK principal should not hv concluded in the matter deciding the league champion.

The question here is not to discuss what the TCK principal should have done or not done [it'll be discussed later]- but why should Trinity be deprived of a title - for NO FAULT OF THEIRS?.

To incorporate & accommodate the rules into the final ruling - it would have been only FAIR to make TCK a joint champion. Anyway this is my opinion of the matter.

Regarding the TCK principal sitting on the board - at first glance it looks unethical.

However according to the link I've posted above, he has said:-

1. I am the chairman of the tournament committee and sit in the discipline committee too. I automatically sit in the table because of the positions I hold;

2. It’s not my decision or the President Ranjith Chandrasekara’s decision. If anybody thinks like that, they are totally wrong.

At THAT stage Isipathana had not produced ALL the evidence.

Its clear from this:- "From the evidence we got, there was nothing for us to find out something wrong. But subsequently they went to the Education Ministry along with some photographs. They were not handed over to us. We took our stance from the data we had"

Even the Ex-co had agreed to accept this. ["After that we let the executive committee of the SLSRFA know about it and they all agreed to it sans the Isipathana MIC"]

I've reproduced parts of the the above article - as I'm not in agreement with the above comments.

This is how I see it, its my take- from the above comments,made in the article.

Edited by mirage7777

The question here is not to discuss what the TCK principal should have done or not done [it'll be discussed later]- but why should Trinity be deprived of a title - for NO FAULT OF THEIRS?.

To incorporate & accommodate the rules into the final ruling - it would have been only FAIR to make TCK a joint champion. Anyway this is my opinion of the matter.

Regarding the TCK principal sitting on the board - at first glance it looks unethical.

However according to the link I've posted above, he has said:-

1. I am the chairman of the tournament committee and sit in the discipline committee too. I automatically sit in the table because of the positions I hold;

2. It’s not my decision or the President Ranjith Chandrasekara’s decision. If anybody thinks like that, they are totally wrong.

At THAT stage Isipathana had not produced ALL the evidence.

Its clear from this:- "From the evidence we got, there was nothing for us to find out something wrong. But subsequently they went to the Education Ministry along with some photographs. They were not handed over to us. We took our stance from the data we had"

Even the Ex-co had agreed to accept this. ["After that we let the executive committee of the SLSRFA know about it and they all agreed to it sans the Isipathana MIC"]

I've reproduced parts of the the above article - as I'm not in agreement with the above comments.

This is how I see it, its my take- from the above comments,made in the article.

Yeah but from another perspective; whatever position you hold, you don't make decisions that affect your school vs another directly. You delegate that to the rest of the members, if you want to be seen above board.

There was no need for Pathana to furnish further evidence and they did not forward anything further to the ministry/department before the correct decision was made (the same photographs were given to SLSRFA as per SunTimes), afaik.

The only thing SLSRFA had to do was to check the NIC's of accused players. They did not: FAIL!.

This does not take away from the Rugby the Trinity lads played. (as they say anyway, the league is nothing to them .. even if it's after 25 years). I believe they would be further motivated by this to prove who is the best at the KO's.

But I also admit that it would probably hv been a better scenario all around if TCK-IC were declared joint champions.

• 9 months later...
Nobody interested in Rugby in 2013? I can't think any better (or more controversial) time than right now to start a discussion ... :D :D :D

Treading on dangerous territory mate, one wrong move and AL will be banned in SL.

Apparently one gossip site publicised a photo of a certain Rolls with certain people and it was instantly banned...

Treading on dangerous territory mate, one wrong move and AL will be banned in SL.

Apparently one gossip site publicised a photo of a certain Rolls with certain people and it was instantly banned...

Well that pic was floating around fb

Not really, the democracy still exists in the web .. and AL is not hosted in SL iirc.

However, I wasn't implying 'that' controversy ... more about schools rugby last week.