• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Atf Longevity

Eurofan

Question

Guys, Just need to some advise on changing ATF

What is the general frequency for changing ATF. I drive a 2004 E46 320D with about 45,000 KM. It states the car is equipped with lifetime oil. However, BMW now recommends changing at 100,000 miles (According to US forums / sites). I spoke to the expert in Kelaniya and was informed that there is no need to change until something is wrong with the box, as there are vehicles with has done over 150,000 KM with the original fluid.

So some advise i need is;

1. My car has only 45,000 KM, but the oil is 8 years old. Does ATF oil age? and should i change it right now?

2. What is the general ATF change frequency in modern Jap gearboxes? i heard that the new gearboxes come with a synthetic ATF that has to be changed every 70,000 KM?

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

I heard the same bloody advise when I had the E36 323i.... :)

But then after changing the oil twice, the GB ended up being completely refurbished... cost about 100K all up... ask AL member Bugatti for more details... ;)

My advise is, CHANGE THE OIL... preferably at the agents. They stock the filters and the oil. Will cost close to 25K, but it will be worth it.

I second what VVTi said, change the oil with the correct oil at a 'reasonable' interval. Most modern Euro's and Jap's come with lifetime ATF but that's in theory. Practically, the oil and the tranny performance degrades with use over a long period of time (or rather, distance).

My 6 year old car also has also done about 38,000 KM. I'm thinking of changing the ATF at around 40k km. The issue with the E90 is that, you need to replace the entire pan (which has a inbuilt filter), mechatronic sleeve etc. How is it on the E46?. The kit alone costs about 30k delivered to SL. I was able to find a kit for $180 delivered from the states. But now the government had to go increase taxes on lubricants!!!

Thanks for the reply guys. two more things?

Does ATF gets bad with age or mileage?

Is a complete removal of ATF and replacement is warranted or just a full drain and replacement?

Age and usage both adds to the deterioration of the oil. Regular servicing is enough unless there is a problem requiring the dismantling of the GB,. If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. Just change the oil regularLy.

• Like 1