• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tips On Filling Your Vehicle

whmsujith

I recived following information from a freind of mine & thought to share with you all.

1. ONLY FILL YOUR VEHICLE IN THE MORNING WHEN GROUND TEMPERATURE IS LOW.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.

In the petrolium business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petrolium products play an important role. a 1 degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the filling stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2. THEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE.

If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All the hoses of pumps have a vapour return. If you pump on fast rate some of the liquid that goes into tank become vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank, so your getting less worth of fuel for your money.

3. ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more fuel you have in you tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Patrolium srorage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between petrol and the atmosphere, so its minimize the evaporation.

4. ANOTHER REMONDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL BOWSER PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP.

most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.

BTW. In (2) I have mentioned about a vapour return of hose of the pump, first time I came to know this. Is it true?

Thanks

Edited by whmsujith
  • Like 1

Buy a hybrid, can save more than few milliliters.

2. THEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE

Who's operating the trigger? Are you?

Edited by WCW

Two cents from my side.

Select reputed Petrol pumping station such as 'L**gh'.

Check Reading before start and at end.

Watch sudden trigger squeezing changes when pumping.

• Like 1

I recived following information from a freind of mine & thought to share with you all.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.

In the petrolium business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petrolium products play an important role. a 1 degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the filling stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2. THEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE.

If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All the hoses of pumps have a vapour return. If you pump on fast rate some of the liquid that goes into tank become vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank, so your getting less worth of fuel for your money.

The reason for this is the more fuel you have in you tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Patrolium srorage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between petrol and the atmosphere, so its minimize the evaporation.

4. ANOTHER REMONDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL BOWSER PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP.

most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

BTW. In (2) I have mentioned about a vapour return of hose of the pump, first time I came to know this. Is it true?

Thanks

You have a point but its not practical. Morning or noon its when you need... If your theory is practical then Petrol Station underground tank also should fill in the morning..

lol. this is what happens when a person try to help others. He did not by any chance tell anyone to adhere or comply with his suggestions. its upto you to follow it or dump it rather than criticizing to show others you are good at criticizing. he has clearly mentioned that he got it as a share message from one of his friends, friends could be from anywhere in the world, probably the reason why he mentioned something regarding the pumping by our own

• Like 7

Buy a hybrid, can save more than few milliliters.

..............Your litre is not exactly a litre.

Will it going to effect the volume measuring unit of the pump and how many additional milliliters you collect in the morning?

10mm=1cm

2. THEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE

Who's operating the trigger? Are you?

I agree this is not practcal and as I mentioned not sure about vapour return thing.

Edited by whmsujith

lol. this is what happens when a person try to help others. He did not by any chance tell anyone to adhere or comply with his suggestions. its upto you to follow it or dump it rather than criticizing to show others you are good at criticizing. he has clearly mentioned that he got it as a share message from one of his friends, friends could be from anywhere in the world, probably the reason why he mentioned something regarding the pumping by our own

When you make a post on a public forum, you open it up to criticism. No one insulted the man or made any personal attacks. You do know the definition of a forum right?

Eitherway I find it funny that OP accepts the problems in the thing he posted, yet you are the one getting all butthurt. Stop sounding like a menopausal housewife.

• Like 2

When you make a post on a public forum, you open it up to criticism. No one insulted the man or made any personal attacks. You do know the definition of a forum right?

Eitherway I find it funny that OP accepts the problems in the thing he posted, yet you are the one getting all butthurt. Stop sounding like a menopausal housewife.

bro but being a pro member u shld not comment like this " Important my a@$" the guy posted smthn to help us.i found it way bit out da way you replyd.criticism shold be in a professional way as u r a pro member.correct me if um wrong,but i think you shld calm down.

Edited by hhrxz
  • Like 3

bro but being a pro member u shld not comment like this " Important my a@$" the guy posted smthn to help us.i found it way bit out da way you replyd.criticism shold be in a professional way as u r a pro member.correct me if um wrong,but i think you shld calm down.

First of all, this isnt an SMS. Please use proper words instead of "shld" "smthn" "da."

Second, pro member means nothing. I'm not paid to be here.

Third, stop playing white knight.

Thank you.

Edited by jdnet

Just ignore machang, "empty vessels make the most noise".

• Like 5

Two cents from my side.

Select reputed Petrol pumping station such as 'L**gh'.

Check Reading before start and at end.

Watch sudden trigger squeezing changes when pumping.

Reputed Petrol pumping station such as "'La*ghs". :angry-smiley-048: ?? dafu* u serious? never pumping from there ever again.. those bas*rds also cheat...

Guys, the change of temperature has an effect on the volume you pump, it is correct. But the issue is how significant............specially for a country like us where the day to night temperature change is not that significant. Mind you the underground tanks has more stable temperature due to the fact they are shielded by the soil working as an insulator. The issue becomes realistic when the pump pushes the fuel out and reaches the ambient temperature.

The following link shows a study done by Australian government to see the actual realistic effect. The conclusion is that the effect is minimal across the vast continent and across different temperature changes. And it is not cost effective to install correction devices.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/transportation/fuel_delivery_temperature_study/documents/Australian_Study_1996.PDF

Fuel vapor does not get leaked to the environment in significant quantities as all fuel circuits in modern vehicles are closed circuits. The vapor trapped in the tank is circulated through charcoal canisters and recirculated.

There is some truth to the last point, where the under ground tank content get stir when a bowser unloads. The pumps has good filters to make sure the contaminant which are floatable does not come out. But things can reach your tank.

After reviewing these facts.........my personal view is I do pump when it is needed or convenient. But I do try to avoid to pump from just after bowser unloads. Rather worrying about the vapor and all, I try to keep the engine in shape (air filter, throttle body etc...), tyres with correct pressure, boot clear from junk, and avoid jack rabbit driving styles. And do Italian tuneup time to time :)

• Like 4

pro member?? he is a pro shit talker. never seen any quality information coming out of his mouth.

its funny how some one writes 100% facts and some people criticize. when these pro shit talkers bull shit other shit talkers praises them as if like they are Gods.

• Like 4

Thanks whmsujith, the points are valid, actually I always try to pump early morning around 6:30, its kind of a weekly routine now since I pass the shed on my way. The other good thing to pump in the morning is since there is less movement in the pertol from overnight the amount of sediments mixing in will be less .

Also your point on the pumping at high speed is valid since the pump works on a flow meter and at high speeds air bubbles are generated more.

However the benefit of all these could be very less , but no harm since it does not cost you anything.

Reputed Petrol pumping station such as "'La*ghs". :angry-smiley-048: ?? dafu* u serious? never pumping from there ever again.. those bas*rds also cheat...

Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on this, and please mention which shed you had this issue ?

• Like 1

he has clearly mentioned that he got it as a share message from one of his friends, friends could be from anywhere in the world, probably the reason why he mentioned something regarding the pumping by our own

You are right my SL friend lives in Canada, the email would have originated from there

Varunatech, CARBONB4 I agree with you as it is less significant. What do yo think about that filling up half full tank method?

Edited by whmsujith

its funny how some one writes 100% facts and some people criticize.

Thanks whmsujith, the points are valid, actually I always try to pump early morning around 6:30

lol. this is what happens when a person try to help others.

Some people will believe anything, if it's in writing!

Some of these 'valid' points (3 and 1) will help you save a few cents. While points 4 and 2 are utter rubbish.

Edited by Crosswind

Thanks

thanks dude... didnt think about this before...

its funny how some one writes 100% facts... shit talkers...

Etc, etc :rolleyes:

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?/topic/4855-tips-on-filling-your-vehicles/

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?/topic/8947-tips-on-saving-fuel/

Yes? No? No one cares?

How about this?

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

NOW can we stop talking about this?

Some of these 'valid' points (3 and 4) will help you save a few cents. While points 1 and 2 are utter rubbish.

Care to explain why you think its utter rubbish ? Petrol does expand at higher temp and that's a fact.

The link given by Peri ( Snopes site) mentions of a ATC enabled pump, I seriously doubt some of our SL pumps have this feature.Most sheds including Ceypetco sheds are now buying the cheap Chinese pumps as the cost of the good brands is too much. And on the second point it mentions the fuel filters, again I doubt most of our local sheds properly maintain these filters or even if they have such.

There was a incident where a well known shed had water going in to the storage tank, and they continued to pump this water mixed petrol to several cars before identifying the issue.

Edited by CARBON B4

Care to explain why you think its utter rubbish ? Petrol does expand at higher temp and that's a fact.

Do read the post by Peri just above yours. That should explain it.

If it's still incomprehensible, I'll explain it in simple English.

Edit: I got numbers mixed up in my original post and it was corrected earlier

Edited by Crosswind