• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Pressure And More

kaju

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to say I bought a Mini (efi). Slowly getting used it but there are a few problems i'd like to get fixed.

Brakes:

The brakes works normally but slowly start fading/pedal slowly goes down on inclines (almost always). The car has a brake booster.

Break oil is at the correct level. Could it be the break washers are worn out and need replacing?

Oil pressure light:

Oil pressure light tends to flicker and comes on during idle in traffic and goes away when the car starts moving again. During a cold/warm start the light comes on as usual and disappears after 1/2 seconds.

I got an engine oil change done and oil level is at Max, it didn't happen that day again. But started happening again the day after.

Could this be a faulty connection or something far more serious?

Silencer:

At the moment it doesn't have a standard silencer which comes for Mini's. The one which is on is very noisy.

I'd like to change it. Where can I buy a new silencer? Do I need to change the whole exhaust system for this?

Appreciate your expert advice.

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to say I bought a Mini (efi). Slowly getting used it but there are a few problems i'd like to get fixed.

Oil pressure light:

Oil pressure light tends to flicker and comes on during idle in traffic and goes away when the car starts moving again. During a cold/warm start the light comes on as usual and disappears after 1/2 seconds.

I got an engine oil change done and oil level is at Max, it didn't happen that day again. But started happening again the day after.

Appreciate your expert advice.

'kaju',

Remove the oil pressure switch clean it up with petrol dry and fix it back if still light comes on like early. get the oil pressure checked up, at different RPM. If it is OK then replace the switch.

You have to go to a garage who will have a oil pressure meter to check up the pressure. If the reading is low will have to change the oil pump.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you for the advice Sylvi, MiniAce.

MiniAce, I checked with the previous owner before I got the oil changed and he said he had put in a brand new oil filter so I didn't get that changed. I'll check on the filter type.

If your car is a post 96,it has to be a correct spin on type filter. Else its an old canister type and not all know how to fix /change that properly. Make sure the filter gasket is in good condition.Check for oil leaks.

MINIACE

Oil pressure light:

You might want to check if you are using the correct viscosity oil too, macho. Might be that you are using something too thin.

@jdnet, Thanks but I checked the drain bolt but it's not that.

@miniace, The oil seems to be coming down from somewhere and dripping off the the black tubing (first pic). Any idea from what little you can see?

On the other hand the break issue seems to be fixed after I got the washers changed on the break booster.

@jdnet, Thanks but I checked the drain bolt but it's not that.

@miniace, The oil seems to be coming down from somewhere and dripping off the the black tubing (first pic). Any idea from what little you can see?

your best bet is to clean the suspect area properly and see where the leak is originating from.

use diesel to clean up the area and not kero!

Its not easy to spot where the leak starts from limited photos available.. The good news is its not from the drain bolt and not looking that severe. You can take her to a qualified technician and inspect. seems not a big issue.Where do you reside mate?

MINIACE

@Ripper: Thanks will try that. Particular reason for using diesel? Asking all these questions because these things are new to me. :)

@miniace: I'm in Pepiliyana. I went to Lucky to get the break issue fixed but seemed somewhat reluctant to look at the oil issue.

Don't mean to dis him but that's what I felt.

@Sylvi: Oil level is at Max so far when checking the dipstick and yes there is oil on the garage floor.

Hi I had the same problem with my car when I bought it, oil light blinks after several minutes of driving and even even after changing oil, i got the same result. My mechanic found out that sludge has build up and that caused the blink of oil light. He adviced me to put a low viscosity oil (30) and run for few hundrend km's. And also I have done an engine flush too. Flushing the engine is a risky step, since it can make problems worst, but I was ready for any thing since I got the vehicle for a bargained price.

After that the problem was solved and I have scored around 20k during last 2 years. But about 2 weeks ago just before new year I got my car, after laying down on the garage for about 6 months for a full paint job, found that oil bulb blinks again. 2 days after the new year on my way to a relatives place in Wellawaththa, a bearing in the engine got busted, ended up a engine replacement :(.

So it may be a oil sludge issue in your engine and my advice is to show it to a good mechanic.

@Ripper: Thanks will try that. Particular reason for using diesel? Asking all these questions because these things are new to me. :)

@Sylvi: Oil level is at Max so far when checking the dipstick and yes there is oil on the garage floor.

'KAJU',

Get as one A/L member ha posted do a cleanup on the engine top and then you can detect the oil leak but the oil indicator coming up is a different issue. Has to get checked up the pressure of oil pumping system of your car, If not your bearings can give away, if you can get a oil plug from a repair garage which they had removed from a engine they do a engine overhaul can try out to see what will be the result.

I did not buy any oil plugs in recent past. last I paid was Rs, 350.00. Now it will be little more. IF a new oil plug is under Rupees 500.00. It is worth trying out with a new one.

As your oil level is not going down It is a negligible leak, there must be some other problem on your engine. Did you clean the oil plug and try out some times when oil plug get block this problem can come up.

The previous post says his bearings gave away after the light came up.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

diesel doesn't screw up rubber bushes and stuff unlike kerosene. Also diesel has good detergent properties.

I do agree with Thanushka. Sludge formation is possible. Try low viscosity oil. Change the filter and run. I know many disagree, but I strongly believe by looking at few low detail pictures,that you dont need to worry too much about the leak. run for sometime and see..do check the oil level regularly. (Majority of Minis I know are 'leaking' but running strong :lol: ) Enjoy your Mini mate. If you are really unhappy..just PM me..will help you out .Im back in SL.

MINIACE

@Thanushka: Thanks for the feedback. I hope it's not something similar :S

@Sylvi: When you say oil plug do you mean the sump drain bolt? If so it's not leaking from there.

@Ripper: Thanks.

@miniace: Thanks a lot. So do you mean I should get the oil changed again to low viscosity (30 instead of 50) again with a new filter or run with the current setup and switch at the next change?

I'm just worried that this might be something like Thanushka said which will be a sorry situation. :(

I've attached few more pics which might be a better angle.

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

'kaju',

Oil plug I men is there is a wire connected plug on the engine block. Wire of that goes to your oil indicator bulb. That is a pressure switch which works on oil pressure of your engine.

If the oil light glow when the engine is idling that indicates the oil circulation pressure of your engine is not enough to lubricate the engine moving parts.

I have given all precautions you have to take before getting in to engine overhaul.

This oil pressure plug comes on the engine block. you can remove that and fix a oil pressure meter and test the pressure at different speeds.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'kaju',

Oil plug I men is there is a wire connected plug on the engine block. Wire of that goes to your oil indicator bulb. That is a pressure switch which works on oil pressure of your engine.

If the oil light glow when the engine is idling that indicates the oil circulation pressure of your engine is not enough to lubricate the engine moving parts.

I have given all precautions you have to take before getting in to engine overhaul.

This oil pressure plug comes on the engine block. you can remove that and fix a oil pressure meter and test the pressure at different speeds.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The oil plug is also called the drain plug or drain bolt. What you are referring to is called the oil pressure sender, which is also called the oil pressure switch or oil pressure sensor.

whats the idle speed right now? if your idle is very low oil light may flicker because engine is not running fast enough to pump sufficient oil.

Hell yeah..low running revvs , high viscosity oil, messed up filter ,a great combination to power up the red light.

MINIACE

whats the idle speed right now? if your idle is very low oil light may flicker because engine is not running fast enough to pump sufficient oil.

Hell yeah..low running revvs , high viscosity oil, messed up filter ,a great combination to power up the red light.

MINIACE

Hi Guys, The idle speed somewhere around 800-900 from what I can see.

I showed it to a mechanic on Friday evening and changed the oil pressure switch.

Drove back home in somewhat heavy traffic and saw the light come on again once. But that was when I was going to seize the engine. Couldn't run the car yesterday but will run the car next few days and see. Fingers X'd.

On a separate note, Is it normal on a mini to have the engine still idling even after it's switched of from the ignition? (I don't have a turbo :D)

Almost all the time the engine stops 1 to 2 seconds after I've switched off from the ignition. Sometimes even longer.

Edited by kaju

Kaju,

Your Idle speed I think it is too high.Between 500 and maximum is 750 rpm,

Your second problem happens to my knowledge is due to excess carbon deposits build up on the cylinder head, there will be other opinions from members.

Do not know previous owner adjusted rpm to be high due to oil indicator light is coming on.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi