• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advices On Restoring A Subaru Legacy Gen1

Strikeee

Hi,

One of my friends has a 1992 Subaru Legacy Gen1 model and he said, if I want I can take it and get it back to it's running condition.

As the garage people said, that car needed an engine replacement and a gearbox replacement.

That car has EJ20 engine with turbo. Haven't used for over 15yrs.

What is you idea of restoring such a car

and is a new 2007 EJ20 engine and gear box fits to this old models..

Thanks in advance

How's the body/interior? After putting money into the engine/trans, is that going to be enough to have a good car? or do you have to do any body work/etc. and reupholster the interior? What's your plans? to get a decent car to drive everyday or do you want to mod it?

If you think it's a good car, I would rebuild the engine, turbo and trans. Unless the internals are really trashed, they're easy engines to work on and complete rebuild kits aren't that expensive. But again ask yourself if it's easier to just buy a car that runs already.

• Like 1

I am getting that car for no charge, if I wanted to restore it.

There are few minor body works to be done and anyway I will give it a new paint-job, tyres has to be replaced, and interior(including dashboard,door panels, seats & carpets) is satisfactory condition, except little bit stinky :)

Recently I came across a 2007 Subaru EJ20 engine(Turbo) & gearbox just under Rs200,000.00 that is why I thought of restoring this car.

So please do comment, if this is an investment where only I loose my money, I do not want to do such.

I am getting that car for no charge, if I wanted to restore it.

There are few minor body works to be done and anyway I will give it a new paint-job, tyres has to be replaced, and interior(including dashboard,door panels, seats & carpets) is satisfactory condition, except little bit stinky :)

Recently I came across a 2007 Subaru EJ20 engine(Turbo) & gearbox just under Rs200,000.00 that is why I thought of restoring this car.

So please do comment, if this is an investment where only I loose my money, I do not want to do such.

If you do end up deciding that it is too much of an effort... can you let me know where that car is and ask your friend if will consider letting go of it?

2007 EJ20 ? are you sure about this.

Getting a complete engine and gear box for Rs 200k is a steal... weather whether you restore the car or not just buy this.

Edited by CARBON B4

Getting a complete engine and gear box for Rs 200k is a steal... weather whether you restore the car or not just buy this.

Superb advice machang!!!!

I pity the company that will hire you as a financial advisor... :)

If done properly I doubt it'll be

Money wasted for the sheer pleasure it'll give you. But make a check list of everything that needs to be done to get the car into the condition you want it to be in. That's the difficult thing, because if you, like me, would want this car to win next years pageant, then it's a long list!

I'm thinking 200k on the box and motor is just the very tip of the iceberg. But I'm inclined to agree with vvti here. It smells like good deal. I recently found a short ratio 5 forward manual trans for my teg and the dude wanted a 100k for it. but keep looking. You never know what you'll find

Why buy the engine, turbo and trans without a car? What for? Have it take up space in your garage for no reason while depreciating? lolz. Come on? Really? Its like buying a heduwa without first getting the elephant.

Hi,

One of my friends has a 1992 Subaru Legacy Gen1 model and he said, if I want I can take it and get it back to it's running condition.

Evaluate its market value and decide. To me it sounds like a good deal if as you mentioned, the interior and body is in good condition and require minimal effort to get into drivable condition.

Even if you spend Rs. 600,000 on getting the motor and tranny done up (Rs. 200k for the motor and trans + Rs. 400k for incidentals and labour) you still come in under market price. Really for Rs. 600k what can you get in today's second hand market that's comparable? Its a steal. Go for it, or as Supra_Natural stated, hook another member up...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

after your comments, i think this sounds like a decent project. if you followed my project thread, I just bought and restored a '99 Outback for about half the market value here and am super pleased with the end result. But I knew exactly what I was getting myself into and also gave myself a safety net on the budget knowing well enough that my initial estimate would soon be surpassed by incidentals. Even though the car is now on the road, I'm still fixing small issues and upgrading things that nag me even though it really doesn't need it ... it adds up the $'s over time!

Only wish I'd got a good deal on a turbo engine instead of a stock replacement at the time. Now that I could probably afford a bit more, I see good deals on turbo motors, ugh!

Why buy the engine, turbo and trans without a car? What for? Have it take up space in your garage for no reason while depreciating? lolz. Come on? Really? Its like buying a heduwa without first getting the elephant.

Thats a single turbo EJ20 and finding one is not very easy and according to OP it came out of a 2007 car. And you know there are not many such cars in Colombo, only a handful ( Coincidental that one such car had a busted engine just last week) . Plus I am sure there will be a lot of B4 owners who might want to upgrade their motors and the single turbo is much less complicated, but doing a single turbo conversion on a twin turbo is not that easy.

So my point is the engine and tranny is worth more on its own than trying to fix it to a 92 car. If OP is doing this for resale purpose doing this is not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

well, i have a legacy RS twin turbo engine complete with front sub frame suspension KIT still intact with shock absorbers and wires with battery terminal. also rear AWD unit differential, driveshaft , rear subframe and shocks all together and complete exhaust system. Will sell it off for 250000 as i no longer need it. i got this down from japan as a spare for my Legacy B4 but never needed anything. my car is for sale so no use keeping this with me. so my loss is your gain. i got this down for 4lks. had to buy a whole car to get this.

The sad part is dat some dope bastard had stolen the radiator and fan shroud set when it was lying at the front porch. A 2C turbo radiator was also taken away wit this! thieves!! damn u!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Plan your budget and over estimate your costs so you would have good rough idea. on restoration projects you always run in to extra parts replacements. remember this car sat for a long time

-you need to get a new ECU for the new engine,

-suspension parts

-steering parts

-any modifications that you might have to do to make everything fit your engine

-any repairs on the new engine (do your research, some Subaru engines have head gasket problems and you need to take the engine out to swap them, so if the engine has close to 100k I would just put new set of gaskets)

Good luck with your project!!!! post pics of your progress. I would do this kind of project in a heartbeat.

Plan your budget and over estimate your costs so you would have good rough idea. on restoration projects you always run in to extra parts replacements. remember this car sat for a long time

-you need to get a new ECU for the new engine,

-suspension parts

-steering parts

-any modifications that you might have to do to make everything fit your engine

-any repairs on the new engine (do your research, some Subaru engines have head gasket problems and you need to take the engine out to swap them, so if the engine has close to 100k I would just put new set of gaskets)

Good luck with your project!!!! post pics of your progress. I would do this kind of project in a heartbeat.

Why, exactly are you replying to a thread that is a couple of years old? do you not read through threads before posting in them?