• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Hybrid Fd3

ruwan_4u

Question

8 answers to this question

I am thinking of buying un-registered Honda Civic Hybrid FD3. Can you guys let me know the market price.

And any special pros and cons of FD3

I would advise against getting an FD3 Civic hybrid because of an issue with the hybrid battery that affects some vehicles. Honda claims that less than 1% of Civic Hybrids have the issue and it only affects YOM 2005-2008 cars, but still, if your car has the issue you'll have terrible fuel economy and will have to replace the hybrid battery to properly fix the issue.

Basically with some Civic Hybrids after relatively low kms of use, the hybrid battery begins holding less and less of a charge. As a result the fuel economy goes down to the point that it's almost the same fuel economy of a regular Civic. Some owners have had to get their battery replaced.

Honda issued a battery software update in 2010 that FD3 Civic Hybrid owners could have done to their vehicles to stop this problem. Although the software update did work and did protect the battery, it dramatically lowered fuel economy. So either way, owners of affected cars will have fuel economy similar to a regular Civic (unless they replace the hybrid battery). A Civic Hybrid with everything in order should get around double the fuel economy of a normal Civic.

Here is a news story about the whole thing >>>http://www.dailytech...rticle19357.htm

I would advise you to go for a Prius. They are rock solid reliable and are by far the most popular hybrid in SL so parts and servicing will be easier. If you want a Honda hybrid go for the Insight. If you absolutely must have a Civic Hybrid go for a Civic Hybrid that was manufactured towards the end of 2009 or better still, a YOM 2010 or 2011 model because Honda made running manufacturing changes to the Civic's hybrid battery and software in 2009.

• Like 3

I would advise against getting an FD3 Civic hybrid because of an issue with the hybrid battery that affects some vehicles. Honda claims that less than 1% of Civic Hybrids have the issue and it only affects YOM 2005-2008 cars, but still, if your car has the issue you'll have terrible fuel economy and will have to replace the hybrid battery to properly fix the issue.

Basically with some Civic Hybrids after relatively low kms of use, the hybrid battery begins holding less and less of a charge. As a result the fuel economy goes down to the point that it's almost the same fuel economy of a regular Civic. Some owners have had to get their battery replaced.

Honda issued a battery software update in 2010 that FD3 Civic Hybrid owners could have done to their vehicles to stop this problem. Although the software update did work and did protect the battery, it dramatically lowered fuel economy. So either way, owners of affected cars will have fuel economy similar to a regular Civic (unless they replace the hybrid battery). A Civic Hybrid with everything in order should get around double the fuel economy of a normal Civic.

Here is a news story about the whole thing >>>http://www.dailytech...rticle19357.htm

I would advise you to go for a Prius. They are rock solid reliable and are by far the most popular hybrid in SL so parts and servicing will be easier. If you want a Honda hybrid go for the Insight. If you absolutely must have a Civic Hybrid go for a Civic Hybrid that was manufactured towards the end of 2009 or better still, a YOM 2010 or 2011 model because Honda made running manufacturing changes to the Civic's hybrid battery and software in 2009.

thanks a lot mate for clear explanation about the battery problem.

If im going to buy a used CIVIC from srilanka how am i get to know whether the selected vehicle has done the software update or not?

On 4/28/2012 at 3:20 AM, Californikan said:

Does replacing the battery solve the problem? Or will it arise again?

16 hours ago, Happa123 said:

Does replacing the battery solve the problem? Or will it arise again?

Yes. It would be solved for 4-5 years as long as you replace with a genuine battery and properly update the software for it. My replacement battery has now run for 3+ years and 60000+km without issues.

Main cause of battery issues on the civic is having the car parked around for long stretches of time. FD3 is a great high mile runner. But if you are planning to use it just to run couple hundred kms a month, better look for another option.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, ramishkad said:

Yes. It would be solved for 4-5 years as long as you replace with a genuine battery and properly update the software for it. My replacement battery has now run for 3+ years and 60000+km without issues.

Main cause of battery issues on the civic is having the car parked around for long stretches of time. FD3 is a great high mile runner. But if you are planning to use it just to run couple hundred kms a month, better look for another option.

@ramishkad Thanks a lot for the information.