• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Gear Oil

Dhanushkapg

Question

Dear Experts

I have Nissan FB15 car. Recently when i am driving, i felt transmission was delayed specially in upper gears ( 3rd , 4th) . I checked ATF and it seems ok with red+brown color. I havent any service details regarding ATf changed on previous owners. please let me know the issue behind this and better place to change ATF automatically specially in Gampaha/kurunegala or colombo

Highly valuable your answers

24 answers to this question

I heard when ATF oil is bad it color look like Black or dark brown , but my car it seems to be red / light brown.... I doubt abt that,Anyway i also thing better to change it bcus i havent any service records abt previous ATF changers.

Can u tell me what are places and ATF oil brands that can use for Nissan FB 15

Color is not the exact gauge of ATF quality. It's how long - usually in kms - you used your oil for. Theoretically, you may never hv to change ATF until your tranny dies (a natural expiration) but NOT changing ATF ever could also lead to its premature death!

Most currently used Dextron III ATF variants 'might' need to be changed every 75k to 100k kilometers. Expert members will provide more input.

If you know the ATF brand/type currently used in your tranny, it might be good to continue the same - otherwise you will flush it out and replace.

In my car with 78k on the clock, the ATF is clear-pinkish but I think I can feel the tranny not performing at it's peak, so might be the time for me to bite the bullet (costs me 22k to change my ATF!) :)

Guys,

FB15 recently I bought , I was told the ATF was changed with " mobil " oil and the car has done only 84,000 km uptil now ( one owner - directly bought from him..not open papers )..what do you think of the oil ? ( only once changed after doing 75,000 km )...

Changing ATF is cheap insurance. i change my ATF every 32k KM and until this day my transmission shifts like the day it came out of the assembly line. (even after towing stuff thats not supposed to be towed with a car :) ) change them atleast every 40KM and your transmission will last a long time.

Changing ATF is cheap insurance. i change my ATF every 32k KM and until this day my transmission shifts like the day it came out of the assembly line. (even after towing stuff thats not supposed to be towed with a car :) ) change them atleast every 40KM and your transmission will last a long time.

40k KM is what my father practices in his FB15 (with him for the last 9 years) and hv to say it shifts like a charm (but that vehicle is kind of 'over maintained', if you know what I mean). At the same time my cousin has another FB15 where the 1st ATF change happened at 95k on the clock, and it also works fine with a further 45k on .. touch wood!

40k KM is what my father practices in his FB15 (with him for the last 9 years) and hv to say it shifts like a charm (but that vehicle is kind of 'over maintained', if you know what I mean). At the same time my cousin has another FB15 where the 1st ATF change happened at 95k on the clock, and it also works fine with a further 45k on .. touch wood!

Hi Vishkid, what is the brand of ATF you father uses? Does he use a machine or do it manually? What would be normal cost? Thanks.

brownish color and a burnt smell is what you'll get when your ATF is old or has been used in severe service. However, older fluid can still look and smell new but the anti foaming additives and detergents do get old.

Hi Vishkid, what is the brand of ATF you father uses? Does he use a machine or do it manually? What would be normal cost? Thanks.

I think he uses Castrol Transmax (18-88?) for the Nissan. From my experience for an FB15 a manual transfer 4 quarts would cost around 4k and machine around 7 quarts would cost 8k. My experience is a few years old.

I am using BP (dextron III) for my Wingroad.uess it's the same engine that both FB15 and Wingroad has (QG15 DE). I change it 10K agao. So far it doing good. Best thing is when changing ATF don't just flush the oil and re fill it. Remove the sump and cleen the steel mesh and re fill the oil. If you go to A*W I think it will cost you abt 7000 LKR. I am not very sure about this price, but it should be little more or less. just give them a call and ask the price.

You need to find an oil compatible with your car. There are many grades with oil and you need to find out which is compatible with your gearbox.

As for the brand Havoline ATF fluid is a fairly new player I think so you probably wont get a lot of feedback about yet. If you can find a compatible fluid it should work but make sure it is what is recommended for your vehicle by consulting the user manual or its sometimes written in the dipstick.

Agree with you DON. Always read the recommended type on the ATF dipstick.You do not have to always use car manufacturer branded oil coz as a matter of fact we know that they don't blend oil.

Use a good brand of equivalent oil for the ATF.

I have no relationship with Chevron. However, for my Nissan March ATF, compared to Nissan Matic J recommended, Havoline ATF-J was nearly half the price. havoline ATF-J which is sold in Sri lanka is produced in Thailand and exported to even Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia (as per the label on back) it's compatible in following specifications.

I don't think i have to remind that Chevron (which owns Havoline brand) is the 3rd largest company in USA. Also Chevron is one of the six supermajor Oil companies. We can expect a equivalent or better product from them. No promotion for Chevron here , but i get better value for money with quality product. :party-smiley-019:

Havoline ATF- J Applications: just FYI

Automatic transmissions in the following Japanese passenger cars and light trucks:

Toyota (including Lexus) Isuzu Nissan Subaru Mitsubishi Suzuki Honda Daihatsu Mazda

• Korean passenger cars: Hyundai Kia GM Daewoo

• Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) where fitted to passenger cars of engine capacity less than 2.0L

• 5-speed automatic transmissions in most European passenger cars (BMW, MercedesBenz, VW/Audi, Jaguar)

• Suitable for service fill in automatic transmissions requiring DEXRON®-III, MERCON(®)or MERCON® V fluids.

Performance standards

JASO M315 Type 1-A

Suitable for use where the following fluid specifications are recommended:

• Toyota T IV

• Nissan Matic J

• Mitsubishi Diamond SP III

• Honda ATF-Z1

Edited by mello555

Hi all,

if you know any other less expensive Multi purpose auto gear oil (full synthetic) brands which confirms to latest standards (eg: dexron vi , Nissan matic-J/S )please mention the brand and place to buy with the price...

this will be helpful for all to buy affordable quality products