• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Engine Oil

hhrxz

I think 50W is bit hardy for your vehicle. better you run around 3000km and change. BTW how is your engine Mileage? if it is over 200,000 no problem 20w 50w

its 115000Km, what does this 20w50 mean?

Edited by ashan82

if your engine in working temperature your oil viscosity rate is 50W so, if your engine mileage 115000km this 50w is bit hardy (not good for your engine). so better you use 15w-40w oil. please note that don't trust service station guys and spare parts shops guys or sales mens. they don't have technical knowledge. if they can keep good profit margin they are selling any low quality goods telling thats the worlds best thing. so they no want to care about others things. they think only about there profit.

• Like 3

Ashan. These numbers are the Viscosity ( think thickness) of the oil. The higher the number, thicker the oil. 20W means the viscosity is 20 in the Winter temperatures, hence the 'W'. Also this means the cold starting viscosity of the oil in your engine. 50 is the viscosity at a certain higher temperature ( around 100C).

You have to keep in mind that when an oil is thicker it is harder to flow inside the engine :)

Here is a good read for you.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

• Like 2

last week in my car service, service station people put "shell Helix HX5 20W50" to my Mazda Familia 2003. when i questioned about mobil 15W40, they said its best for brand new vehicles and this Shell oil is better than that.

What is this 20w50 mean for and whats your opinion of this product. Is it ok to run the car another 5000km keeping this oil??

Like said by Nilantha the service station guys will try to sell the oil that gives them the biggest margin, so best is for you to specify what you want put in before hand. The definition of 20w50 is well explained by NRX.

If you are changing the oil you also need to change the oil filter

Ashan. These numbers are the Viscosity ( think thickness) of the oil. The higher the number, thicker the oil. 20W means the viscosity is 20 in the Winter temperatures, hence the 'W'. Also this means the cold starting viscosity of the oil in your engine. 50 is the viscosity at a certain higher temperature ( around 100C).

You have to keep in mind that when an oil is thicker it is harder to flow inside the engine :)

Here is a good read for you.

http://www.upmpg.com...roil_viscosity/

Thanks NRX

what do u guys say? is it good for my car if i change oil immediately and put 15w40

Thanks NRX

what do u guys say? is it good for my car if i change oil immediately and put 15w40

if you are going to use your vehicle for next 2 or 3 years better you change. try to find Mobil XHP. its is very good engine oil.

if you are going to use your vehicle for next 2 or 3 years better you change. try to find Mobil XHP. its is very good engine oil.

mobil xhp? never even heard of it. Eitherway, you shouldn't be advising people to use enginne oils that are rare to find. The fact is that engine oil needs to be changed every 5k. Using something that's costly and overkill is an utter waste of money. You need to find the right balance between price/ quality/ availability.

It's time for you to stop your b*ll s**it advice ok?.

OP will be just as fine using the proper viscosity havoline dinosaur oil.

mobil xhp? never even heard of it. Eitherway, you shouldn't be advising people to use enginne oils that are rare to find. The fact is that engine oil needs to be changed every 5k. Using something that's costly and overkill is an utter waste of money. You need to find the right balance between price/ quality/ availability.

It's time for you to stop your b*ll s**it advice ok?.

OP will be just as fine using the proper viscosity havoline dinosaur oil.

if you read this topic top to bottom properly you can see who is doing b u ll shit. i gave him advice to protect his engine if he is going to keep his vehicle for long time. it seems you also looks like this service station guys.

Mobil XHP is mobils 15W-40W engine oil. yes it can run 5000km if you difficult to find Mobil XHP you can find Castrol 15W-40W (Castrol GTX) or Mobil 15W-40W (Mobil Super1000 but not quality than mobil XHP) for 5000km oil change or Lanka Super DS40 for 3500km oil change

personally i not recommend 20W-50W for this vehicle to run 5000km. its too hard for your engine if not mileage more than 200,000km.

http://www.alibaba.c...ium_15W_40.html

http://www.mitrovich...hp_2007_eng.pdf

Edited by Nilantha

for my Toyota vitz 2008 vehicle I used Toyota oil. Is it good to use toyata oil or to change to another one?

yes, Toyota oil is high quality. its come with Made in Japan label. it is 10w-30w if you use that oil for engine have run more than 100,000km you can see little engine oil burning. its because that oil 30w (thin) Toyota oil suitable for new engines.

Edited by Nilantha

yes, Toyota oil is high quality. its come with Made in Japan label. it is 10w-30w if you use that oil for engine have run more than 100,000km you can see little engine oil burning. its because that oil 30w (thin) Toyota oil suitable for new engines.

oh really? I bet you got these facts after working on engines right? or maybe it was that time you worked in a lab at a factory where they made the oil. Do yourself a favour and google the raw material used to make mineral oil.

if you read this topic top to bottom properly you can see who is doing b u ll shit. i gave him advice to protect his engine if he is going to keep his vehicle for long time. it seems you also looks like this service station guys.

I'm not going to play this game of "who's the real retard" with you. It won't be fair to me when you keep winning.

• 3 years later...
Didn't want to open a new thread for this, Can someone tell me the Viscosity of the Lanka DS40 Engine oil ? It isn't stated on the Container unlike mobil.

Is it not 40? Does it not say SAE 40?

Is it not 40? Does it not say SAE 40?

It just says 40

Its 40. Obviously.

The mobil I just bought says 15W 40 and the Lanka just says SAE40. Is it 15 being the Viscosity at cold and 40 being at hot ? if that's the case the Lanka SAE40 has a viscosity of 40 at all temperatures. Was confused between Multigrade and Single.

Edited by Dinukap4

It just says 40

The mobil I just bought says 15W 40 and the Lanka just says SAE40. Is it 15 being the Viscosity at cold and 40 being at hot ? if that's the case the Lanka SAE40 has a viscosity of 40 at all temperatures. Was confused between Multigrade and Single.

The spec document can be found on the web -take a look if you want.

Edited by Kavvz

That means the DS40 oil is 'mono'grade, unlike the Mobil 15W-40 is a 'multi'grade lubrication oil.

Actually SAE40 doesn't mean it is constant when cold or hot! It means 40 viscosity when hot only.

(Usually for a multigrade the viscosities are mentioned for 40'C (cold) and 100'C (hot).