• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Engine Oil

hhrxz

uptonow i used caltex its seems heavier for my engine

machan what grade of oil you are using ? The brand doesn't really affect the heaviness you are mentioning :)

• Like 1

I have heard laughs oil is also pretty good... if you frequently change the oil I guess its as good as the big brands but without the premium pricing.

I have shifted to Castrol Edge Sport from Motul. I honestly cannot feel any difference in performance but from what I have read its one of the best oils out there.

• Like 1

I have heard laughs oil is also pretty good... if you frequently change the oil I guess its as good as the big brands but without the premium pricing.

I have shifted to Castrol Edge Sport from Motul. I honestly cannot feel any difference in performance but from what I have read its one of the best oils out there.

tanx for info bro..guess its too good for my old car..seems my oil is getting discolored pretty quickly so thgt its smthn to do with the quality of oil.

Edited by hhrxz

Hi Carbon, what is grade of your Castrol oil? Is it same as mobil 15w40?

What is the best oil grade for a 200k km car?

i personaly think 15w-40 will work well in an old car in Sri lankan weather.

the W next to the 15 stands for "winter" which is for cold weather starting, so the first number is not a huge consern in Sri Lanka. when the car gets older i would use a thinker oil. Older engine shouldnt be based on the miles or years. Miles are just a number, age of a engine is significantly based on how you have maintained and driven it etc... my car has 130k Miles (208km) and i have always used 0w-30 full synthetic. eventhough i have a heavy foot i burn oil only 300ml for every 5kmiles. to me thats a good engine and i will continue to use 0w-30. when my engine start burning more oil and compression numbers are lower than specified then i would switch to 0w-40.

Hi Carbon, what is grade of your Castrol oil? Is it same as mobil 15w40?

What is the best oil grade for a 200k km car?

I think its 5w40, like blkr6 has mentioned the number is not a big deal as its Sri Lanka the given range would fit well weather its 5w40 or 10W40 etc...

Also he has pretty much covered it as a thicker oil is better on a older or engine as the thinner the oil the more likely for it to burn and pass through small cracks etc... they is a minor compromise on engine performance by going for a thicker oil but its very insignificant. And all the claims by oil giants saying their oil will give you better milles per gallon is too hyped up, at least in my opinion.

i was using Castrol And Mobil for my petrol vehicles. now im using LANKA Super DS40 for my CR41 its very good than Caltex DS40 very smooth and low engine Noice price only 2150/- 5L change every 3500km

Did u use Mobil or Castro for your CR41 earlier?

Did u use Mobil or Castro for your CR41 earlier?

yes, i was using Mobil Delvac it can run 5000-6000km. engine also very smooth and low noise. just like petrol engine. but when i change oil after 5500km oil was very dirty and just like Tar. so i decided to change to mono grade because it can change every 3500km. because often oil change engine also very clean. when change oil, oil is not so dark and thick than Mobil Delvac oil when change, one technical guy told me to use this Lanka Super DS40 (Ceyptco) it also giving me smooth running and low noise just like Mobil Delvac. but i know Lanka Super DS is mono grade and Delvac multi grade.

Lanka Duper DS40 Rs.2200/3500Km= Rs. 0.62 pr KM

Mobil Delvac Rs.3500/5500km = Rs. 0.63 pr KM

Not so big money difference. but using Lanka super can keep engine clean because oil change every 3500km (but can run 4000km also, but i change from 3500km)

For nerarly new vehicles with Catalytic Converters , the phospurous contents in oil can harm the same.

This content vary with oil to oil and new API SL standard is generally ok. Must read datasheets of particular

products before selecting. For example Havol*** is rich in this subtance. Zinc is the other subtance which

damages the Catalitic Converters. When you use oil additives be careful about these facts.

For older vehicles which need SJ or lower classifications without Catalytics ,Castrol & Mobil mineral oils

are good for the purpose.

last week in my car service, service station people put "shell Helix HX5 20W50" to my Mazda Familia 2003. when i questioned about mobil 15W40, they said its best for brand new vehicles and this Shell oil is better than that.

What is this 20w50 mean for and whats your opinion of this product. Is it ok to run the car another 5000km keeping this oil??

last week in my car service, service station people put "shell Helix HX5 20W50" to my Mazda Familia 2003. when i questioned about mobil 15W40, they said its best for brand new vehicles and this Shell oil is better than that.

What is this 20w50 mean for and whats your opinion of this product. Is it ok to run the car another 5000km keeping this oil??

nooooo you engine is going to blow up in the next ten seconds.

But seriously, you are fine. The car isn't going to explode.

I just use whatever I can find and my engine is pretty clean inside.

'ashan82',

Do you find any significant change in your engine running with new oil. I use havoline.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Silvy

No nothing....but feel little uncomfortably coz this is first time im using this oil. I ve used havoline in my previous mazda 1998. These people said Shell is better than Havoline too.

BTW im getting bit Crrrrr Crrr sound when high acceleration, and my garage fellow said its some thing ignition case and use 95 Petrol for some time. is it true??

Do you know what this 20W50 means for

nooooo you engine is going to blow up in the next ten seconds.

But seriously, you are fine. The car isn't going to explode.

I just use whatever I can find and my engine is pretty clean inside.

You mean noting wrong wright? whats your personal opinion to keep this oil for another 5000Km?