• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Staying Safe On The Highway Safety And Other Related Driving Tips

Kavvz

I've been a bit concerned about the accidents on Sri Lanka's new highway for a while now and have been thinking what we as an automotive forum could do to help.

Clearly some of the accidents reported could have easily been prevented and to that end, I thought we could compile some driving / vehicle maintenance tips.

Please feel free to add posts / comment / correct as need.

Driving at speed on the highway is going to bear on your vehicle differently than regular in-town driving would and please be aware that the risk of injury incase of an accident increases dramatically along with driving speed. Therefore even if your vehicle runs fine / and its condition is judged adequate for regular use; I recommend you make some quick checks for your safety before you take it on the highway.

1. Check tyre pressure. (On most cars the pressure is 32 in the front and 32 at the back, check the manufacturer’s sticker on the driver’s side door jamb for precise figures based on your car)
  2. Check tyre tread depth. (The tyre tread depth should be between 3mm and 1.6mm deep. A quick way to check tread depth is to insert a 2 Rupee coin in to the tyre thread, with the Sri Lankan national emblem head down. The thread should partly obscure or touch the dharma chakraya [symbol for the wheel of life] on the top of the national emblem. If it doesn’t you might have a cause for concern. If the whole dharma chakraya can be seen and the treads don't even touch the bottom of the dharma chakraya, then the tires are too worn to be effective and you should change them before highway use. Tyre depth is important as hydro-planning on highways is common and most drivers can’t handle those situations safely)
  3. Ensure the best tires are on the rear wheels. This will limit the amount of skidding/ tail spins that may occur. Additionally if the worn tires are on the front the driver will feel a difference / floating sensation / lightness in the steering (hydroplaning) via the steering wheel before the rear wheels (with the better tyres start to hydroplane). [When the front wheels start to hydroplane it can be felt as a difference in steering sensation and this situation is easily controlled by slowing down and is far easier to control than a slide / skid that is initiated by the rear wheels.]
  4. Check tyre walls for damage (Check for damage caused by hitting the curb / curb damage and check for signs of wear: cracks, splitting etc. If there is any damage, replace the tyre as this increases the risk of a tyre side wall blowout.)
  5. Check all seat belts: Inspect all seat beat anchors and the belts themselves and replace any worn or frayed belts. These items cannot be repaired safety, and have to be replaced if worn.
  6. Check vehicle coolant / radiator water level
  7. Check oil level on dipstick and top up if needed.
  8. Check brake oil level and power steering fluid level and top up if needed
  9. Check headlights, signal lights, brake lights and tail lights
  10. Check fan belts / serpentine belt for signs of wear and replace if needed

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 6

Good points. The ones on the tires, though, are probably one of the most important when it comes to highway driving. It's depressing to just walk past vehicles parked on the street and see how underinflated their tires are. And if they LOOK underinflated, then they really badly are, as even a properly inflated tire (note: with reading taken when they are cold) still look a bit depressed.

• Like 1

1. Properly Maintained car (kavvz's points)

2. Clear Head (no alcohol or lack of sleep)

3. Clear windshield, good wipers, working headlights (keep them on even in the day time because you can be seen)

4. follow the speed limit (its there for a reason)

5. Keep the proper distance between you and your car front of you

6. stay between the lines again lines are there for a reason.

7. Slow down when its Raining or foggy

8. if you see an animal crossing do not make panic maneuver to change lanes or stop suddenly. you can easily kill you self or others on the road. Human life worth way more than a life of a animal.

Edited by blkr6

Basic driving tips when on the highway

1. Ensure all passengers including individuals in the rear wear their seat belts at all times when on the highway.
  2. Ensure you keep a safe distance between the car in front of you and your vehicle. At highway / expressway speeds a safe distance is usually 3 seconds. (To determine the right following distance, first select a fixed object on the road ahead such as a sign, tree or overpass. When the vehicle ahead of you passes the object, slowly count "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand." If you reach the object before completing the count, you're following too closely. Making sure there are three seconds between you and the car ahead gives you time and distance to respond to problems in the lane ahead of you.) This rule of thumb is during daylight in good weather. At dusk / night I’d keep about a 5 seconds distance and in bad weather I’d increase that distance dramatically to about 10 seconds.
  3. Stay in the left most lane other than when over taking.
  4. When passing / overtaking check your blind spot before changing lanes: When making a lane change, check your mirrors for a space in traffic where you can enter safely. Check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder in the direction of the lane change. Signal when you want to move left or right. Check again to make sure the way is clear and steer gradually into the new lane, maintaining the same speed or gently increase it.
  5. If the car hydroplanes or skids for any reason take your foot off the accelerator, KEEP LOOKING TOWARDS THE DIRECTION / TOWARDS THE SPOT you want to travel and steer gently in that direction. Resist the temptation to swing the steering wheel violently, use small gentle corrections. ( I find that steering about 5-7 degrees in either direction to control slides is plenty).
  6. In bad weather (even if its raining a little bit) turn your lights on.
  7. In bad weather don’t use the cruise control option
  8. Try to keep to posted highway speeds, unless the weather conditions dictate otherwise. If your personal comfort level / vehicle condition dictates otherwise then consider exiting the highway.
  9. Don’t have any unrestrained pets in the passenger area
  10. Make sure your carpet doesn’t catch or impede any of the driver pedals. (Also make sure there are no loose objects lying in the driver’s or passenger foot wells like pop cans, food items etc that can roll over and impede the peddles either)

Edited by Kavvz

A little high speed driving tip never ever put the car into Neutral when cruising, i have seen a lot of people do this when they go on long distance trips. Putting the car in neutral will effectively increase the braking distance of the car cause the engine is not braking and aiding the stopping process, and in case of a sudden danger most people will forget to put the car back into gear and just floor the brakes while still in neutral.

I suggest if anyone wants to go that extra mile on hypermiling pressing the clutch would be a better solution, yes it wont have much effect compared to putting the car in neutral since the gears will still be spinning but the engine will be disconnected and that counts for something. Besides in an emergency all you need to do is dumb the clutch and brake without having to meddle with the gears.

And once the accident has happened - and provided you can still get a bit a control - get the vehicle off to the left. Get your passengers (if still mobile) out of the vehicle (thru the passenger side doors, if posssible - and I know Mum and the Aunties will be berating you, but do it) and over the armco and into some safety. As you go, bang on the hazard lights. Then the phoning and arguing and shouting can begin in relative safety.

Not being a pessimist but the big E01 one is coming, and we'll see then media and government knee-jerk reactions that will leave your eyes watering!

A little high speed driving tip never ever put the car into Neutral when cruising, i have seen a lot of people do this when they go on long distance trips. Putting the car in neutral will effectively increase the braking distance of the car cause the engine is not braking and aiding the stopping process, and in case of a sudden danger most people will forget to put the car back into gear and just floor the brakes while still in neutral.

I suggest if anyone wants to go that extra mile on hypermiling pressing the clutch would be a better solution, yes it wont have much effect compared to putting the car in neutral since the gears will still be spinning but the engine will be disconnected and that counts for something. Besides in an emergency all you need to do is dumb the clutch and brake without having to meddle with the gears.

Putting the gear in neutral or pressing the clutch is in no way beneficial to fuel economy. when idling the engine actually uses more fuel than when cruising. because it needs keep burning fuel to stop itself from stalling. and the air resistance will slow you down and you'll have to accelerate again to reach the cruising speed which will burn more fuel. same case when braking. you put it in neutral you are burning fuel. you brake with the engine and it doesn't need any fuel because its still turning, until the car comes to halt and it starts idling again.

• Like 2

Putting the gear in neutral or pressing the clutch is in no way beneficial to fuel economy. when idling the engine actually uses more fuel than when cruising. because it needs keep burning fuel to stop itself from stalling. and the air resistance will slow you down and you'll have to accelerate again to reach the cruising speed which will burn more fuel. same case when braking. you put it in neutral you are burning fuel. you brake with the engine and it doesn't need any fuel because its still turning, until the car comes to halt and it starts idling again.

Ummm i think you may have missed my point, im not telling anyone to do this im just saying the better and safe way to do it since i know most people have sort of a placebo effect on these kinds of things :)

This is a good thought, but didn't we go through this before?

Did we? I did a search but I couldn't find anything. Perhaps it was under a different topic? Anyone knows / recalls where the posts are please post a link?

Basic driving tips when on the highway

When passing / overtaking check your blind spot before changing lanes: When making a lane change, check your mirrors for a space in traffic where you can enter safely. Check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder in the direction of the lane change. Signal when you want to move left or right. Check again to make sure the way is clear and steer gradually into the new lane, maintaining the same speed or gently increase it.

IMO turning the head to look over the shoulder to check for vehicles behind you is dangerous if you are driving behind another car. Also in modern vehicles, shutters are quite away from the driver’s position and when you have properly adjusted the driving the seat, by turning your head you can’t see the vehicles behind you at all.

Safer way is signal early, look few times, gradually turn to the lane and speed up fairly as soon as moved to the new lane (If you have switched to a faster lane) . If you are turning to a faster lane some times you can watch a vehicle coming far behind until it passes you and then you are sure that there is no vehicle on the blind spot. Also avoid driving in other vehicles blind spot as much as possible.

Edited by whatever
  • Like 1

IMO turning the shoulder to check vehicles behind you is dangerous if you are driving behind another car. Also in modern vehicles, shutters are quite away from the driver’s position and when you have properly adjusted the driving the seat, by turning your shoulder you can’t see the vehicles behind you at all.

Safer way is signal early, look few times, gradually turn to the lane and speed up fairly as soon as moved to the new lane (If you have switch to a faster lane) . If you are turning to a faster lane some times you can watch a vehicle coming far behind until it passes you and then you are sure that there is no vehicle on the blind spot. Also avoid driving in other vehicles blind spot as much as possible.

I agree signalling early is great and I agree with your point about some driving positions making shoulder checks harder-I kinda have the same problem; BUT you absolutely need to check your blind spot by shoulder checking every time you switch lanes to stay safe. It should not cause the driver to lose focus or lose track of what's in front as its a quick check. Shoulder checks or checking your blind spot is an accepted safety procedure.

Google it up online or speak to more of the AL members and get a second opinion. Better still if possible have one of the members who live in your neighbourhood show you how to do a proper shoulder check. The side mirrors or the center mirrors don't cover drivers near your rear quarter panels completely even when set-up right, and the larger the vehicle the larger the blind spot will be. In heavy traffic on the highway its quite hard to keep track of where everyone is and a shoulder check before switching lanes is vital.

A shoulder check is simply a quick look over your shoulder to look out through the rear portion of your Driver's side window (The way I have my seat adjusted; I sit with my shoulder slightly behind the B pillar so I need to move my shoulders to do a proper shoulder check and end up looking out jointly through the front part of the rear passenger window and the rear of the driver's window as the B pillar obstructs my view)

Most people don't need to move their shoulders and can do a quick check by just turning their head to the side and looking out the rear part of the driver side window. Its not a slow long look but rather a quick sideways glance to check for a vehicle before committing to the lane change.

Edited by Kavvz

IMO turning the head to look over the shoulder to check for vehicles behind you is dangerous if you are driving behind another car. Also in modern vehicles, shutters are quite away from the driver’s position and when you have properly adjusted the driving the seat, by turning your head you can’t see the vehicles behind you at all.

Safer way is signal early, look few times, gradually turn to the lane and speed up fairly as soon as moved to the new lane (If you have switched to a faster lane) . If you are turning to a faster lane some times you can watch a vehicle coming far behind until it passes you and then you are sure that there is no vehicle on the blind spot. Also avoid driving in other vehicles blind spot as much as possible.

A viable solution to your concerns might be to install a blind spot mirror such as the one shown in the video below. Its pretty cheap and adheres to your regular mirror via pre-applied double sided tape.

Edited by Kavvz

A decent video addressing a vehicle's blind spots with a visual of a guy doing shoulder checks (at 2:12). He does move his shoulders in an exaggerated shoulder check; which I think is usually unnecessary, but I could be wrong on that point- your call.

Edited by Kavvz

You never had any proper driving lesson did you? You clearly have no idea what a blind spot means, do you.

One of the most common causes for accidents in lane changes is that the driver not seeing the other car due to it being in a blind spot.

And Kavvs didnt tell you to turn you head stick it out at the window and drool at the female passenger in the car beside you. Its just a quick glance. And If you have to be monitoring the car in front of you a 100% of the time you're driving way too close to it..

This is the problem with 'tips' threads; some idiot who thinks he's the most competent authority on the topic drops in and gives wrong advice. siighh....

Safer way is signal early, look few times, gradually turn to the lane and speed up fairly as soon as moved to the new lane (If you have switched to a faster lane) .

Wrong again. You dont look few times (I thought you were against looking to beign with)..

The steps are:

1- signal

2- check mirror; if ok ->

3- check blind spot; if ok ->

4- change to new lane

That's it!

• Like 1

You never had any proper driving lesson did you? You clearly have no idea what a blind spot means, do you.

One of the most common causes for accidents in lane changes is that the driver not seeing the other car due to it being in a blind spot.

And Kavvs didnt tell you to turn you head stick it out at the window and drool at the female passenger in the car beside you. Its just a quick glance. And If you have to be monitoring the car in front of you a 100% of the time you're driving way too close to it..

This is the problem with 'tips' threads; some idiot who thinks he's the most competent authority on the topic drops in and gives wrong advice. siighh....

Hey Delish I know you were in Singapore ( probably still in), I drive every day in PIE so far no issue in lane changing. You can call me an idiot but I don't mind. Who knows I might be :) "look over shoulder before lane change" is a common old school teaching, But I just don't blindly follow every thing in the internet. At least it does not suit to my car. I'm talking base on my own experience and just don't cut and past from internet.

I did not mean 'stick the head out side the windows' to see vehicles behind me. Just now I got some pictures of my driving seat position with reference to the front door and I will explain what I see when I look over my shoulder.

Let me come back to you when I go back to home tonight.

Hey Delish I know you were in Singapore ( probably still in), I drive every day in PIE so far no issue in lane changing. You can call me an idiot but I don't mind. Who knows I might be :) "look over shoulder before lane change" is a common old school teaching, But I just don't blindly follow every thing in the internet. At least it does not suit to my car. I'm talking base on my own experience and just don't cut and past from internet.

I did not mean 'stick the head out side the windows' to see vehicles behind me. Just now I got some pictures of my driving seat position with reference to the front door and I will explain what I see when I look over my shoulder.

Hey Sherlock,

1- Just cos you havent had an accident doesnt you never will. I dont think you should be too cocky about it.

2- A simple 3 step move is nothing to have to google for. Do you really think I would need to google something so menial just to contradict you?

3- Sure, you maybe talking based on YOUR car, but not everyone drives YOUR car... hence YOU are the exception... But the correct driving practices are common for all vehicles. You dont learn "how to drive a corolla 110", "how to drive a civic EG8"..

Hey Sherlock,

Do you really think I would need to google something so menial just to contradict you?

I'm referring to the original post here. Not you. Yes we learn the things and sometimes we slightly modify them to develop our own way of doing it. What I'm doing right now to change the lane is the most comfortable way for me. But may not be for others. Although I have extra blind spot mirror, I don't rely on them.

I actually thought the correct flow is M-S-M (Mirror-Signal-Manouver) as noted in the British Learner Driver's manual :)

For those who are worried about doing a blind spot check to change lanes - a 'fact' to remember is that you're not supposed to do so many lane changes.

Stick to your proper lanes (there's not many to chose from) and only change lanes when absolutely necessary. I find that unruly drivers who chose lanes without logic and who change lanes at whim and/or at the last moment with the signals only after the fact, are the bane of motorway driving.

If it was not for such fidiots, other drivers should not hv an issue in giving way to drivers ahead changing lanes with thought and thrift.

• Like 1

I actually thought the correct flow is M-S-M (Mirror-Signal-Manouver) as noted in the British Learner Driver's manual :)

For those who are worried about doing a blind spot check to change lanes - a 'fact' to remember is that you're not supposed to do so many lane changes.

Stick to your proper lanes (there's not many to chose from) and only change lanes when absolutely necessary. I find that unruly drivers who chose lanes without logic and who change lanes at whim and/or at the last moment with the signals only after the fact, are the bane of motorway driving.

If it was not for such fidiots, other drivers should not hv an issue in giving way to drivers ahead changing lanes with thought and thrift.

Valid points.

To set the record straight on what the British highway code states and what the current accepted British procedure is: The online version of the British Learner's manual /Highway code does have 'blind spot checking' as part of the procedure to overtake on highways listed under article 267 and it seems like the procedure supports a

1. Mirror check

2. Blind spot check

3. Mirror check again

4. Change lanes / manoeuvre

course of action. The relevant section is reproduced below:

Overtaking

Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

• check your mirrors
  • take time to judge the speeds correctly
  • make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
  • take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
  • remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
  • ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
  • be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance

Edited by Kavvz

OK, here is it. When I look over the shoulder all I can see is the pillar post. Simply the distance indicated in arrow is too much.

carseatl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And I recorded a video today while driving home and just wanted to defend what I said. ( I'm sorry this might be boring) In the video at 00:08 I'm very confidently turning to the right lane quickly. Why?

I was watching the car just passed at 00:08 and the traffic behind it well ahead. And as soon as it pass me there can't be anything on the blind spot.

And when I wanted to take the exit, I targeted a relatively slowly moving van at 03:15. Accelerated to go to safer distance ahead of it and turned to the left lane by just having a glance on the left side mirror (at 03:24). At this time I don't like to take my head away even for a fraction of a second, because there is a car travelling in front of me. This is the most comfortable way for me to switch the lane.

http://www.dailymoti...bh6w_pie_travel