• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Heating At High Rev

Banuka

I have EK3 96 Manual

Last week I had my first run on Highway (only upto second exit) and I did about 15km on 130kmh (it was dead night.. no police). at the later part of the journey I see the car getting heated. the indicator was alomost at the red bar. I switched off the AC and reduced the speed to around 90 and then the temp was back to normal middle position. After the journey I checked the water level and the extra tank was all empty (it was full at the beginning and I was using coolant, not water).

Yesterday I did a test with driving on high rev (around 3.5-4) on 2nd a small time to see if i can recreate the situation, it was heating. This was not there until the first Highway run. I had some high rev drivings before that but no problem on heating that time.

Under normal driving the heat is constantly at the mid level.

Any idea on what may be the problem? And any good place to check the cooling system?

1. check if you have a leak in your coolant system, maybe at high pressure it leaks (do a pressure check)

2. it can be simple as u have a bad radiator cap

3. maybe you have some blockages on your radiator

4. check if your FAN is running at the right RPM (speed) some bad fans may seem to run but slower

5. don't run with ONLY water, put little bit of coolant at least

6. bad belt

7. water pump fan going/gone bad

hehe doing 3.5-4k RPM is really high, how much was the speed ? :D my EK3 CVT is around 2.5 when doing 120kmh

also if you have air on your cooling system, this can happen as well. let the car cool down. open the cap. fill it with water, run the car with the cap open, see if the water is flowing. and let the air out.... fill it up as and when need.

Edited by kalinga
  • Like 3

I too have a similer issue mine is 1997 exi. Can you tell me a better place to do a pressure test?

hehe doing 3.5-4k RPM is really high, how much was the speed ? :D my EK3 CVT is around 2.5 when doing 120kmh

I totaly agree machan, mine is manual and it was around 2.5 at the same speed.

Cheers,

Mac

I too have a similer issue mine is 1997 exi. Can you tell me a better place to do a pressure test?

Cheers,

Mac

some times it can be the radiator cap, when the water get really hot, the cap opens and let some water goes back to the res-tank and if that get filled, if more goes out. making you run low on coolant and heat things up. normally caps are 0.9 bar, but using a 1.1 or 1.2 bar might help. the service manual have what type of bar u need. since the cap dont cost much. change it and see

Edited by kalinga
  • Like 2

I had a similar issue in my Eg, specialy when Ac is on and found to be blocked radiator. As harshan mentioned check the simple things first and get hold of a good mechanic for expert help. In these sort of issues you hav to be extra careful when dealing with mechanics, because i almost replaced the headgasket for above issue.

• Like 2

Yeah.. I cleaned my radiator, replaced the radiator head and replaced the water pump few months back. But the issue is still there. after about 100km drive, the water level in the res tank drops in about 2 inches. My cap presure is 0.9. First I suspect it was the gasket, but my mech checked and told the gasket is fine. May be I must get a 1.1 bar cap. Also I am running on water since because of this, can that do some extra damage to the engine?

Cheers..

Yeah.. I cleaned my radiator, replaced the radiator head and replaced the water pump few months back. But the issue is still there. after about 100km drive, the water level in the res tank drops in about 2 inches. My cap presure is 0.9. First I suspect it was the gasket, but my mech checked and told the gasket is fine. May be I must get a 1.1 bar cap. Also I am running on water since because of this, can that do some extra damage to the engine?

Cheers..

Mate , buy a new cap which is recomended in your car service manual(visit t#ch motors or agents for a stock one). Does your car having lot of white smoke recently?

No machan, no white smoke. No creamy oil on the oil cap. Cap pressure was 1.1 previously, but after I change the radiator head it didn't fit in (Diameter was not right I gues) 0.9 fitted and they told me to use it (So like an idiot I did :action-smiley-060: ). Any suggestions?

No machan, no white smoke. No creamy oil on the oil cap. Cap pressure was 1.1 previously, but after I change the radiator head it didn't fit in (Diameter was not right I gues) 0.9 fitted and they told me to use it (So like an idiot I did :action-smiley-060: ). Any suggestions?

I think best thing is to use stock ones( radiator,cap,etc..) when it comes to replace critical parts. Sometimes second opinion from a another mechanic would help! Edited by H.C
  • Like 2

1. check if you have a leak in your coolant system, maybe at high pressure it leaks (do a pressure check)

2. it can be simple as u have a bad radiator cap

3. maybe you have some blockages on your radiator

4. check if your FAN is running at the right RPM (speed) some bad fans may seem to run but slower

5. don't run with ONLY water, put little bit of coolant at least

6. bad belt

7. water pump fan going/gone bad

also if you have air on your cooling system, this can happen as well. let the car cool down. open the cap. fill it with water, run the car with the cap open, see if the water is flowing. and let the air out.... fill it up as and when need.

Thnx a lot. Any good place to do a pressure test? Same place I can check the radiator cap right?

Yeah. 3.5-4 is on second day try to recreate the heating issue, that was on 2nd gear, I mentioned that on the post. I'm not sure about the speed though on that rev at 2nd gear. on 130kmh it was just below 3.

First I'll check for air in the radiator this weekend and if no change will check the cap and the do a preasure test.

Thnx a lot. Any good place to do a pressure test? Same place I can check the radiator cap right?

Yeah. 3.5-4 is on second day try to recreate the heating issue, that was on 2nd gear, I mentioned that on the post. I'm not sure about the speed though on that rev at 2nd gear. on 130kmh it was just below 3.

First I'll check for air in the radiator this weekend and if no change will check the cap and the do a preasure test.

i really cant recommend a place :D (but i can tell you NOT go to to radiator house) but since the radiator used cap will cost around rs250 in delkada, try one :) if that fix the issue, u can buy a good one from tech motors. high rev's in slow speeds can case the engine to heat up :) one thing to check is your reserve talk has a leak :)

since your radiator was fixed, i guess it has a plastic head. most people cant get the seal to the way it was. so i maybe leaking. i never did like fixing radiators. i always think its cheaper to buy one. (recon) i know people will disagree with me. but its less pain in da butt

on some other note i have notice lot of people removing the radiator heat valve, if its not there. put one. it will improve your fuel economy.

i really cant recommend a place :D (but i can tell you NOT go to to radiator house) but since the radiator used cap will cost around rs250 in delkada, try one :) if that fix the issue, u can buy a good one from tech motors. high rev's in slow speeds can case the engine to heat up :) one thing to check is your reserve talk has a leak :)

since your radiator was fixed, i guess it has a plastic head. most people cant get the seal to the way it was. so i maybe leaking. i never did like fixing radiators. i always think its cheaper to buy one. (recon) i know people will disagree with me. but its less pain in da butt

on some other note i have notice lot of people removing the radiator heat valve, if its not there. put one. it will improve your fuel economy.

Machan what do you mean by radiator heat valve? Is it the thermostat or some different thing?

I have EK3 96 Manual

Last week I had my first run on Highway (only upto second exit) and I did about 15km on 130kmh (it was dead night.. no police). at the later part of the journey I see the car getting heated. the indicator was alomost at the red bar. I switched off the AC and reduced the speed to around 90 and then the temp was back to normal middle position. After the journey I checked the water level and the extra tank was all empty (it was full at the beginning and I was using coolant, not water).

Yesterday I did a test with driving on high rev (around 3.5-4) on 2nd a small time to see if i can recreate the situation, it was heating. This was not there until the first Highway run. I had some high rev drivings before that but no problem on heating that time.

Under normal driving the heat is constantly at the mid level.

Any idea on what may be the problem? And any good place to check the cooling system?

I totaly agree machan, mine is manual and it was around 2.5 at the same speed.

Cheers,

Mac

Which gear were u in machan? The OP seems to have been on 2nd gear while testing

Hi

One of my friend got the similar issue. When its around 5000RPM the engine gets heated up.He finally ended up with replacing engine.

the issue was incorrect gasket for EK2. Some of maka bas are looking only the size of the gasket and if the water jackets are fine they change. But Honda use high temperature than other cars, the gasket will worn quickly. No smoke, no water mixed up with oil. .but there will be small bubbles coming on when you open the radiator cap. On cold engine

First check the gasket, as you mentioned that engine heat came up to read line check that first.

See the thermostat – most of the time this will be removed by Maka bas, if it’s not there the fans will run more time because the hot water always passing the fan sensor. That why the thermostat required

you are not able to see the gasket till you open the head, but you can test with above way, if its small bubbles, definitely. The gasket is faulty.

sira

• Like 2

im having the same issue...when i go around 120kmph for 1km or so..the katta shooting up to 3/4 of the meter.. chekced all the things..replaced thermostat.. new fan..cleaned radiator..but.. last suggestion i got frm my mech is fixinga a big radiator.. yes hondas having comparatively small radiator...but will it work??

im having the same issue...when i go around 120kmph for 1km or so..the katta shooting up to 3/4 of the meter.. chekced all the things..replaced thermostat.. new fan..cleaned radiator..but.. last suggestion i got frm my mech is fixinga a big radiator.. yes hondas having comparatively small radiator...but will it work??

You guys have some cooling system issue, my EG gets slightly hot after running 4-5k rpm in long drives with a/c on, but car's throttle response wasn't stable when it's hot, wasn't much much of a issue though. But also due to another reason I upgraded to a dual core rad. Its an oem one from an EG or EK, costed 11k, filled with coolant, no probs after that.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have some cooling system issue, my EG gets slightly hot after running 4-5k rpm in long drives with a/c on, but car's throttle response wasn't stable when it's hot, wasn't much much of a issue though. But also due to another reason I upgraded to a dual core rad. Its an oem one from an EG or EK, costed 11k, filled with coolant, no probs after that.

from where did you get it ?

It doesnt need to bubble. If you have checked your fans and the radiator then the culprit is the head gasket. when you do the head job make sure you change the water pump. Also check the water pump if you get a chance. If the fins on the pump are rusted then the water circulation could be less at high revs. If your doing the head gasket job make sure you resurface the head.