• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fiat Punto Gearbox

The Annoying Guy

Question

My 2007 Fiat Punto (petrol) has a 5 speed dualogic gearbox. This has both auto and manual modes.

The gearbox doesnt go to auto mode but the manual mode is working.

when we called up the service center, they said that the clutch might have to be replaced.

further they said that untill this is fixed its okay to run on manual mode. so we ran on manual mode for couple of days, and suddenly the auto mode started working again.

The dashboard LCD gives a message as "check transmission" from time to time now.

but if there is a clutch issue, im guessing that it should affect both auto and manual modes.

can anybody please give me some advise?

Anyways im planning to take her to the service centre as my service is due in couple of weeks.

3 answers to this question

Leave the guessing to the service personnel, best is to take it to the workshop as soon as yo can and not wait for the service.

if the car is telling you to check transmission, check transmission.

BTW, we have the same car as well Indika looks after it, as he does the Alfa. Once the same message popped up and it was a loose connector on the GB.

I had the same problem in the Punto which I owned for a while. Ironically the problem popping up whenever the car was taken to Wheels Lanka for service and became alright on the next day or so. I assumed that Wheels Lanka guys are probably spraying water or kerosene on a sensor which makes it act weird.

Does this problem happen when it rains? If so, its a good indication of a sensor being over exposed to water. In any case, like VVTi said, it needs professional attention and I would trust Indika far more than Wheels Lanka to diagnose and fix this fault.