• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Another Crash In Southern Highway

hrm

Can't remember where I saw it, but saw a video where it was demonstrated that regardless of FWD/RWD, rear tyre treads needs to be better than the front. The reason being the weight of the engine anyway affords a bit of traction in the front where as the rear needs all the help it can get. Showed hoe cars behave in the wet and the sand and dry. Will post it when I find it.

This is is contrary to popular theory of putting the better tyres in front.

This accident I think is more about aqua planing and the rear end losing control than anything else.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

I'm sure everyone else drove that time with this car got the same speed, but in wet road driver didn't think about weather condition as well car's tires.. Wonder who let this to the expressway, thought that expressway police check the basics of a vehicle before enter.

Although the car is a complete wreck the most important passenger compartment seems fully intact.

If the passengers were wearing seat belts injuries should be minor.

Car seems to have aquaplaned due rain and worn out tires.

The important lessons would be:

1. Always wear your belts both front and back

2. Use good tires properly inflated, especially if you are going to speed, and 100 kmph is not for all whether. One needs to use common sense and drive according to the weather conditions and capabilities /limits for your wheels.

3. Consider the safety features/ crash worthiness of the vehicle when you make a purchese, yours and your loved ones lives may depend on it.

Safe driving

Can't remember where I saw it, but saw a video where it was demonstrated that regardless of FWD/RWD, rear tyre treads needs to be better than the front. The reason being the weight of the engine anyway affords a bit of traction in the front where as the rear needs all the help it can get. Showed hoe cars behave in the wet and the sand and dry. Will post it when I find it.

Can vaguely remember seeing such a video, wasn't it VBH who did the review at fifth gear?

It was a girl that was driving. She was following four other vehicles driving ahead. Suddenly the car had skidded and spun sideways and hit the outside barrier on the drivers side. The driver and the front passenger who was also a girl were wearing seat belts whilst the boy in the back seat did not have a seat belt to wear. The driver has no major injuries. the front passenger had only bruises. the passenger in the rear has a compound fracture in his leg.

yep thats right! they are one of my friend's friends!

I'm sure everyone else drove that time with this car got the same speed, but in wet road driver didn't think about weather condition as well car's tires.. Wonder who let this to the expressway, thought that expressway police check the basics of a vehicle before enter.

Can police check every vehicles all tyres......... especially in peak time is it practical. It would be good to do few more campaigns to make user awareness and also change the way the driver licenses are issued. I think there is a road worthiness license coming for vehicles.

Still, the one who sits behind the wheel has to be sane and apply what he/she knows.

Once I saw a toppled SUV, there was slight drizzle and the guy was travelling just over 40km/h. He wiggled his back and came to the ground on driver's side. I was behind him far away running at over 70km/h with out any traction issue. Did stop to help the victim, no injuries..........the I immediately inspected the tyres. Three were in good condition, two front excellent, one rear midway used and another badly worn off. The front has made a pivotal effect and made the rear swing. The guy had spent a fortune on the SUV, was idiotic to use a worn tyre in back. He was shaken and sad..........lucky no one harmed and no other vehicle was around. Should also mention that SL drivers put the relatively new tyre in front, thinking it is the best. In a wet condition, the relatively worn off tyres in back helps you to spin...........

It will set a bad precedent if the police is required to check your tyres also before entering E01. The responsibility of you own safety should lie with the owner/driver. Not with law enforcement.

Why is it that in Sri Lanka, personal safety on the roads are a police responsibility?

• Like 7

Can police check every vehicles all tyres......... especially in peak time is it practical. It would be good to do few more campaigns to make user awareness and also change the way the driver licenses are issued. I think there is a road worthiness license coming for vehicles.

What next? you want the police to wash your car each time you drive on the expressway? stop talking out of your arse. If you are the owner of the vehicle, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it's everything is good.

Still, the one who sits behind the wheel has to be sane and apply what he/she knows.

What next? you want the police to wash your car each time you drive on the expressway? stop talking out of your arse. If you are the owner of the vehicle, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it's everything is good.

he says the same thing JD. It's impractical to cops or whoever to check each and every vehicle entering E01

the helmet rule is the best example. people wear helmets in SL to escape the law, not to protect the most vital organ in the body... :)

Also here the parents wear safety helmets but deprive the child riding with them the protection.

How insane is that?

the helmet rule is the best example. people wear helmets in SL to escape the law, not to protect the most vital organ in the body... :)

Also here the parents wear safety helmets but deprive the child riding with them the protection.

How insane is that?

I've seen in one news telecast a bike rider (obviously with a kid who's not wearing a helmet) says kids are growing fast and they have to change the helmet frequently, therefore, they opt not to equip the kids with helmets. That takes the cake

I've seen in one news telecast a bike rider (obviously with a kid who's not wearing a helmet) says kids are growing fast and they have to change the helmet frequently, therefore, they opt not to equip the kids with helmets. That takes the cake

read somewhere about the case in India (Delhi) i think where girls are exempted from the helmet rule.

Apparently the girls complain that wearing a helmet messes their hair style and is not 'comfortable'

ah I misintepreted that one. My appologies to varunatech.

:) no probs...........I do dnot see your reply and posted a different reply correcting your understanding.

It is the duty of vehicle owner for themselves and for others to keep the vehicle in condition................but usual moron is happy to say the fault was on Police or government............

once I remember a guy was weeping that the E01 staff did not provide him a wheel brace when his tyre busted. I am happy that E01 is asking for towing charges now.

Edited by varunatech

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Australia have a roadworthiness test done annually whke issuing the revenue lisence? Which inspects the suspension, tyres, brakes etc?

Isn't varunatech barking up a similar tree?

If i recall correctly in sri lanka only lorry's and buses need a annual road worthiness certificate at the time of revenue license renewal. IF that is still the case, i think the system is being abused ... looking at the number of un-roadworthy vehicles of the same class plying our roads.

IF (and its a very big IF) it can be done correctly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it compulsory for all vehicles.

next time they would ask, the police should check the radiator, tyre pressure...........

E01 guys should have checked windshield wipers and the wiper washer.............the transport minister himself should have checked whether the brakes were fine and the petroleum minister himself should have checked the gas level to make sure they do not run out of gas...........a three wheeler service in E01 and all future expressways to provide gas in cocacola mega bottles and find needed wheel braces and nuts to fix.

Last but not least a psycho consultancy at each entrance to make sure the driver is in sane condition..............

read somewhere about the case in India (Delhi) i think where girls are exempted from the helmet rule.

Apparently the girls complain that wearing a helmet messes their hair style and is not 'comfortable'

speechless......................ok let the brainless not to use the helmet........................so low mentality

If i recall correctly in sri lanka only lorry's and buses need a annual road worthiness certificate at the time of revenue license renewal. IF that is still the case, i think the system is being abused ... looking at the number of un-roadworthy vehicles of the same class plying our roads.

IF (and its a very big IF) it can be done correctly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it compulsory for all vehicles.

Yes true, IF and a Big IF, you are very correct mate, our folks will think I will just get away by throwing few bucks underhand and risk it at high speed, and will rest that on luck............................as a nation we need to change the way we think

keep adding kids...............so a single investment on a particular size can be used repeatedly :)

That fit-ness test is a joke. Our 4DR5 is a 28 sri and hence needs a fitness test. In the many many years i've gotten for the fitness report, not once has the place ever even looked at the vehicle before giving the 'pass'...its just a way of making a easy Rs.700 for those garages...

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2