• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

I haven't plated anything yet,nor will I for another couple of months.You have to understand that although the car is running it is not even 70% completed.There's still the interior work,paint,chrome plating etc etc to be done.And I refuse to move on to those things untill I'm sure she is mechanically sound.It's still being run-in at the moment and we're discovering more and more mechanical issues.For example she still overheats every 5 miles and just yesterday the dynamo pulley snapped right off tearing the fan belt with it,not to mention a half a dozen oil,petrol and water leaks...So untill those issues and others we may find are 100% rectified there will not be any progress in the cosmetic side.

Nah i saw like the light rims have been plated except for the bumper. thats why i asked.

We did indeed.The engine runs like a charm...It's an A35.

quote]

dude correct me if im wrong,when you buy a non runner like that A35 and want to start for the 1st time you need to do the followng right

i)battery

ii)clean plugs and points

iii) check plug wires

iv)turn the engine by hand (using the fan as a handle to see if its seized)

v)look for any blroken wires

vi)add fuel to tank (or do you put few drops inside carb?

vii) start it and hope for the best

have i missed anything?

Edited by carboy2011

quote]

dude correct me if im wrong,when you buy a non runner like that A35 and want to start for the 1st time you need to do the followng right

i)battery

iii) check plug wires

have i missed anything?

It would also be a good idea to ensure that the engine has oil and coolant in it before you attempt to start it.

quote]

i)battery

iii) check plug wires

have i missed anything?

Yeah pretty much that's the procedure....As supra said check for lubricant and coolant.,turn the the fan a few times.And before putting petrol in the tank check if the fuel pump is working.If its an electric pump you can hear a clicking noise when you turn on the switch.If its not working give it couple of knocks to unstick it.If it still does not work just feed the fuel directly in to the carb fuel-in line and hold it up high.

• 1 month later...
Sorry.The TR was sold last week.I got a straight up cash offer of 3 lacks and it was too good to miss...congrats to the new owner Supra_Natural!

Aiyo you should have at least said 3mill to make it sound even slightly reasonable :D

Haha happy day after april fools day! :P

Regarding the TR we've actually taken a step backwards.There were some mis- alignmets with the four fenders and unfortunately for me I only noticed it after the base coats were completed.These were minimal mistakes,only a few milimeters off and barely noticable but I can't drive this car with that in my concience.So I had my tinker take the fenders off and re-seat them to factory specs.The paint was heavily damaged in the process so we'll have to do it all over again.Many thanks to Mr.Kishan Perera,Mr.Damascene Fernando and the Akbarally brothers for their help in this matter...

So after the thoroughly depressing news,let me cheer you up by leaving you with this pic.It's my father and brother in a TR3A circa 1985...hmmm I just realised this pic isn't cheerful at all.My bro passed away in '92 and me dad sold the TR and had it shipped to Australia....

wpDa97V.jpg

Sorry.The TR was sold last week.I got a straight up cash offer of 3 lacks and it was too good to miss...congrats to the new owner Supra_Natural!

Fools fools its april fools!! The pool is pooling us :D

Regarding the TR we've actually taken a step backwards.There were some mis- alignmets with the four fenders and unfortunately for me I only noticed it after the base coats were completed.These were minimal mistakes,only a few milimeters off and barely noticable but I can't drive this car with that in my concience.So I had my tinker take the fenders off and re-seat them to factory specs.The paint was heavily damaged in the process so we'll have to do it all over again.Many thanks to Mr.Kishan Perera,Mr.Damascene Fernando and the Akbarally brothers for their help in this matter...

So after the thoroughly depressing news,let me cheer you up by leaving you with this pic.It's my father and brother in a TR3A circa 1985...hmmm I just realised this pic isn't cheerful at all.My bro passed away in '92 and me dad sold the TR and had it shipped to Australia....

[img=http://i.imgur.com/wpDa97V.jpg]

Reaching perfection!! Good work mate :) and nice car..and sympathies about your bro !!

Sorry to hear that MD. My sympathies...

Sorry to hear that MD. My sympathies...
Fools fools its april fools!! The pool is pooling us :D Reaching perfection!! Good work mate :) and nice car..and sympathies about your bro !!

Ah thanks guys...Yeah he used to love the cars,with the MG TF being his favorite.I guess he'd be proud of how his lil' bro taking care of them...

BTW here are some pictures of operation Fender Mender...Heat,hammer and seat.Thats the formula.Not many tinkers can do this,but bugger takes his bloody time doing it,that's the only issue...

x8ODp5Z.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Ah thanks guys...Yeah he used to love the cars,with the MG TF being his favorite.I guess he'd be proud of how his lil' bro taking care of them...

BTW here are some pictures of operation Fender Mender...Heat,hammer and seat.Thats the formula.Not many tinkers can do this,but bugger takes his bloody time doing it,that's the only issue...

x8ODp5Z.jpg

It looks like he's doing it properly though, Good that you noticed and decided to sort it beforehand, as you said, once you notice something it's impossible to forget it. Once you're done with the TR can I maybe use your guy to get the spittys rear arches sorted?

Pardon the ignorance Gentlemen: But what exactly is this heating and reshaping technique being used on the fenders called?

(I wanted to read-up on it and tried some googling keywords but couldn't find anything of substance- other than lot of links for reshaping plastic bumpers using a heat gun! Would one of you be kind enough to throw up a link or some key words for me?)

It looks like he's doing it properly though, Good that you noticed and decided to sort it beforehand, as you said, once you notice something it's impossible to forget it. Once you're done with the TR can I maybe use your guy to get the spittys rear arches sorted?

I don't think he'll work for anyone except me dad nowadays.also bugger is 70+ years old and half mad...I'll ask him nontheless.

I don't think he'll work for anyone except me dad nowadays.also bugger is 70+ years old and half mad...I'll ask him nontheless.

Please do ask, If its ok with you and dad I can bring the car and do it at your place even, No major rush anyway machan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again my darlings! Woke up on Avurudu morning to a huge bang from the TR,thought it was fire crackers but turned out one of the tubes inside a tire had exploded tearing the tire with it.No idea what the cause was but the tube being 25 years old may have had something to do with it :D Pity about the tire though,that Michelin had a lot meat left in it..

And also I've been recently handed over an article regarding my father that was printed in The Island newspaper.Dated 1990 February...Many thanks to Mr.Riley Wanigasekera for preserving it and letting me have it..I have a few more such articles regarding the cars,will upload them later.

I know I,know these aren't real updates but, money is very low these days puthala...rim eken yanne ...so no progress

6gsySV6.jpg

lTYXYpi.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

Aren't we all plagued by the same demons. Hence no updates on the Teg and Datsun...

I'm waiting for my mechanics to wake up and realise avurudu ended two weeks ago

That's the scene with garages man,it's the same with our building sites...don't expect them to start work till monday.

In my case,The budget I set aside for the in the begining for the TR ran out last week.So any progress from here on will depend on my future earnings.I still have the tinker and mechanic working for me right now but they are doing work on lorry,for my work.

Hello again my darlings! Woke up on Avurudu morning to a huge bang from the TR,thought it was fire crackers but turned out one of the tubes inside a tire had exploded tearing the tire with it.No idea what the cause was but the tube being 25 years old may have had something to do with it :D Pity about the tire though,that Michelin had a lot meat left in it..

And also I've been recently handed over an article regarding my father that was printed in The Island newspaper.Dated 1990 February...Many thanks to Mr.Riley Wanigasekera for preserving it and letting me have it..I have a few more such articles regarding the cars,will upload them later.

I know I,know these aren't real updates but, money is very low these days puthala...rim eken yanne ...so no progress

6gsySV6.jpg

lTYXYpi.jpg

Lovely article though sadly can't read the last column well. The tyre seems to have suffered age related deterioration which is common on cars that are not frequently used :(

Ok small update.I got down a pair of air filters.I had to get in touch with the manufacturer itself in California because the usual third party vendors were either out of stock or didn't have a clue what I was on about.K&N make these especially for the TR.As you can see the mounting points and the inlet hole are offset to one side cos if they were center mounted the filter assembly will collide with the engine bay insides.

I went for K&Ns because the original wire mesh element was not good at filtering small dust particles.The paper element is the exact opposite,it clogs up the air flow and chokes the carbs,making syncing up the carbs a real pain.The K&N filter elements are bit on the expensive side but they are woth it in my opinion,they free up the breathing a little and there is a very small power increase too.

qEWMIli.jpg

46Gfi5E.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Nice set of filters mate. This will definitely add some "bling" to the engine too. By the way, can the filter element be replaced when it's at the end of it's lifetime?