• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

Thanks for the comments gents! :]

me confused, didnt you paint the rims white?

No machan.They are black for now.The picture of them appearing white-ish was after the filler coat was applied.

....I've applied plain jet black for now untill I decide the final colour.It will most probably be white or gun metal grey.

Thanks for the comments everybody!but there is still a long way to go.I just pushed her outside and fixed the headlights to see how she looks and to take a picture.Next up is the electrical stuff.

So yesterday my mechanic connected up the clutch,brake and accelarator linkages to the peddles and I plonked in a seat cushion off one of the other cars and went for little test drive(about half-kilometer on back roads).First impressions are that this car is really really uncomfortable,there is virtually no give from the rear Armstrong shocks.but the she roadholds well and corners superbly.There is lots of torque from the engine,I was getting wheelspin in third gear.The engine feels a bit choppy,but that is to be expected cos it hasn't been run in yet after the rebuild.Also there is a little 'play' on the steering.The gears are changing smoothly but the reverse is a lil' bit reluctant to engage.And under braking she seems to pulling a little bit to the left.These issues will have to be looked at and corrected.

So that's it for now.I will keep you updated.

And Ripper please stop dreaming about me sexy body. ;P

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 2

Master Don,

I hope you got your Electrical wiring done.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for the comments everybody!but there is still a long way to go.I just pushed her outside and fixed the headlights to see how she looks and to take a picture.Next up is the electrical stuff.

So yesterday my mechanic connected up the clutch,brake and accelarator linkages to the peddles and I plonked in a seat cushion off one of the other cars and went for little test drive(about half-kilometer on back roads).First impressions are that this car is really really uncomfortable,there is virtually no give from the rear Armstrong shocks.but the she roadholds well and corners superbly.There is lots of torque from the engine,I was getting wheelspin in third gear.The engine feels a bit choppy,but that is to be expected cos it hasn't been run in yet after the rebuild.Also there is a little 'play' on the steering.The gears are changing smoothly but the reverse is a lil' bit reluctant to engage.And under braking she seems to pulling a little bit to the left.These issues will have to be looked at and corrected.

So that's it for now.I will keep you updated.

And Ripper please stop dreaming about me sexy body. ;P

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Master Don,

I hope you got your Electrical wiring done.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Not yet Sylvi,it is still ongoing...

I'd like to thank Sylvi sir for visitng my place and for giving lots of great input and history regarding the electricals of the TR and me other cars.

Edit.here's the wiring diagram for anybody whos interested...this doesn't show details for the electric overdrive though

glS51.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 3

...this doesn't show details for the electric overdrive though

Electric overdrive? And back then too? Fascinating.

(Spent the last couple of minutes googling the transmission as well as the car, and for anyone that's interested: Triumph Sports cars via How Stuff works was a particularly good read. The article doesn't go in-depth about the transmission unfortunately, but it proved to be a good overview of the Triumph line-up. In a similar vein an article on 'Octane / www.classicandperformancecar.com' was a good read for background information on classic car electric overdrives in general)

Edited by Kavvz

Electric overdrive? And back then too? Fascinating.

(Spent the last couple of minutes googling the transmission as well as the car, and for anyone that's interested: Triumph Sports cars via How Stuff works was a particularly good read. The article doesn't go in-depth about the transmission unfortunately, but it proved to be a good overview of the Triumph line-up. In a similar vein an article on 'Octane / www.classicandperformancecar.com' was a good read for background information on classic car electric overdrives in general)

Yes the EOD was an optional extra for the TR2 and the TR3,and it came as standard from TR3A onwards...Thanks for the links! :)

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Not yet Sylvi,it is still ongoing...

I'd like to thank Sylvi sir for visitng my place and for giving lots of great input and history regarding the electricals of the TR and me other cars.

Edit.here's the wiring diagram for anybody whos interested...this doesn't show details for the electric overdrive though

glS51.jpg

'MasterDon',

Thank you for your comment. I did not come their specially for your job because. I was passing that way I drooped in your palace

Wanted to have a look of your great collection of cars.

Did you do any research on free wheel drive on cars Old DKW had same.

That system only you need to use the clutch only on 1st gear, after that can shift gears with out operating the clutch. Saves Fuel also.

This above system have advantages and disadvantages. There is no control over engine when the free wheel is on.

Cannot come down on hills. Have to depend on Brakes when the free wheel is on.

Regards,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

No Sylvi I have not done any research on that and nor do I intend to.I want to keep this car as original as possible with only few very minute upgrades.This was one of the top performance cars of it's time and I want to keep it that way.And as soon as I start modifying and adding other stuff the car ceases to be a Triumph TR2 and will become some other abomination.Sure it'll be a horrible gas guzzler but I really don't care about fuel economy.Furthermore,as I stated earlier i want to do some ocassional competitive hillclimbing with this so engine braking and managing the revs via the clutch will come useful

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, the 'vintage' junked car in my neighbourhood looks a lot like a MGB GT. I'll snap some photos tomorrow.

You sure its junked or is the owner biding his time to restore it? B GTs go for 3 million atleast nowadays...BTW can you use some other thread to discuss this please. :)