• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

Then the dashpots need to be unscrewed.These are usually held down by three screws.

Ui3q6.jpg

G4zTc.jpg

Another problem.The springs do not match.No matter I was gonna replace these anyways...

GTOLC.jpg

After the springs are out the piston along with the needle should just lift up...I'll have to replace the needles with more 'rich' ones anyway cos I increaded the capacity of the engine.All the same it's better replace the needles and jets.

DxyXJ.jpg

The Jet assembly can be easily removed by unscrewing it at the bottom of the carb base.As I said the two jets will be replaced along with washers...

nECxZ.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

re: damper rod....cant you get a lathe chap to turn one out for you?

I found a couple used at Panchi.But if i hadn't yes I would have bought a longer damper and had a tinker or lathe shop shorten it to the original ones size.

Edited by MasterDon

Master Don is it easy to rebuild SU carbs if they have not been stored properly? I found out that Webers are a bugger and a half and eventually had to buy new ones after many people tried.

Master Don is it easy to rebuild SU carbs if they have not been stored properly? I found out that Webers are a bugger and a half and eventually had to buy new ones after many people tried.

I'd say yes GTAm.Partly because there is so little to go wrong.They certainly are more easier to fix than the complicated Zenith-Strombergs that came in the TR4 and Webbers.

After removing the intake manifold from the carb assembly I found the three gaskets between the two worn out and crumbling.even the metal spacer gasket was breaking apart.These will have to be replaced.

zjibu.jpg

The carb doors will also have to be replaced cos they are not 100% air tight.A good way find out their condition is to pour some petrol on to them with doors at the closed position and see if lets any petrol leak through the bottom.

hoov9.jpg

wunr7.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

I did not bother opening up the floater bowls but later on after my mechanic had inspected them he said that the needle and seats will have to replaced.Otherwise the carbs are in good condition according to him.

0mncp.jpg

So untill the required parts arrived from jolly old england I decided to buff and polish the carb assembly and the intake manifold.

Here they are as they were before...

OyFlD.jpg

The buffing and polishing process done at a chrome plating shop...

Bqfec.jpg

And All done!...oooh SHINY!!!

5thzL.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 8

So untill the required parts arrived from jolly old england I decided to buff and polish the carb assembly and the intake manifold.

Here they are as they were before...

OyFlD.jpg

The buffing and polishing process done at a chrome plating shop...

Bqfec.jpg

And All done!...oooh SHINY!!!

5thzL.jpg

machang that's an awesome buff up job :) gotta get me one of em spinning things!

RNOGA.jpg?1

Hey fellas! Now as most of you know I am restoring a Triumph these days and I've had lots of requests to start a project thread so here goes.I have already uploaded some pics to the "Abandoned cars" thread so I"ll just cut paste them here for everyones convenience.Hopefully this thread will guide you on how to do a classic car restoration and also will act as my journal helping me to keep track of things.

If any of you have any questions about this or any other cars,restoration tips in general please do not hesitate to ask here or PM me.I"ll answer them the best I can.

BUT first a brief history about the car in question.Only about 4000 TR2s have ever been produced and less than half of that survives currently.So it is a very sought after car fetching £30000-£60000 depending on the condition.It is the very first car to be offered with disc brakes as standard and has a optional electric overdrive.Mine is a TR2 'shortdoor'. This particular car dominated the lankan racing scene in the sixties.

All the very best friend. Hope you have progressed goon on the project. Cheers!!

The gasket set...Now I could have just bought one of those 'helite' boards and cut hem up here,but as these only cost a few pounds I ordered them with the other parts.

77jTa.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

The First Start-up

Finally she was ready to be fired up for the first time.As I mentioned earlier the starter motor,water pump and the dynamo has been repaired and serviced.Also It has been given new distributor platinum points,rotors,dist. cap.new oil filter,new head and tappet cover gasket,ignition coil,two sets of new plugs(Autolite and Denso Iridiums).New fan belt and 7 litres of Mobil.The manual fuel pump has also been installed a repair kit.

So after hooking it up to a a battery she started up only after two tries.After 22 long years!!!...but all the internals are new ofcourse.

Although in the video she sounds like a diesel(crappy camera phone mic) in reality she's emitting a huge bassy rumble.Reminds me of those old Plymouths and Buicks.All seems to be running smoothely apart from a small leak from the water pump which shall be taken off and fixed.Oil and fuel pressure is excellant. The carb rebuild seems to be also successful.There are visible water droplets forming on the dashpots and they feel cold when touched which indicates that they are in perfect tune.

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 6

Hey MD,

Great to see everything coming together so nicely. Keep up the good work.

Do you get your parts mostly from Moss? Have you tried Rimmer Bros because they also supply all Triumph parts and sometimes they are cheaper than Moss. Also for carbs have you tried Burlen Fuel Systems as they actually manufacture all SU carbs now.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/

http://www.sucarb.co.uk

Malith

Edited by maliths

Ripper...Deffa!.Jumbo jollies FTW! :D

Malith- thanks!Yes Rimmer bros 'items are sometimes far cheaper than Moss.I have even got down some parts from them when I was doing up the yellow MG but I have a long history with the Moss guys and sometimes they give me good discounts.But I wouldn't reccomend their buffers.The front buffer I got a year ago is starting rust up already.Thanks for the SU carb link,might come in handy.

She sounds great too

She does indeed...sounds like god farting.