• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Triumph T R Restore Project

MasterDon

oh ok but its very rare to see one on the road

who sells parts for them here in SL? those days it was Browns (till late 80's from what ppl told me)

Well no one really sells parts especially for Triumphs but if you're lucky you'll find some stuff for sale that should be compatible from Cosmic Motors,Sumana Mototrs or with Kurruppu Motors at Panchi,cos most of the Brit cars of the era shared some mechanical parts with one another.

On the other hand if you have a credit card,getting down the parts is no issue.There are quite a few third party international spare part suppliers for these cars.

Edited by MasterDon

is there any place to buy trumph car??? thanx..

Seems like you started something here MasterDon :D

Now everyone and his dog will start restoring "classic" Nissan Sunnys, Axios and Allions; this may even be part 2 of the Honda Civic "Rice Boy" mania that engulfed our land about 10 years ago. Let em try, I say!

Best of luck for your project man, please keep posting them pics :)

is there any place to buy trumph car??? thanx..

Seems like you started something here MasterDon

Now everyone and his dog will start restoring "classic" Nissan Sunnys, Axios and Allions; this may even be part 2 of the Honda Civic "Rice Boy" mania that engulfed our land about 10 years ago. Let em try, I say!

Best of luck for your project man, please keep posting them pics

That makes me wonder..how about getting one of abundant F*&ked up modified Honda EG8s and restoring THAT to stock condition. :P

• Like 2

Seems like you started something here MasterDon :D

Best of luck for your project man, please keep posting them pics :)

Yeah I don't mind helping out a genuine car lover,but most of these guys are looking for an investment or to buy and sell or whatever you call it.Only last week I had a banker type fellow,wearing a tie and all offering me a brief case full of money to buy the TR as it is.Probably a buy and sell guy doing a side business apart from his job....and toward the end bugger got a bit pissed off when a grease monkey like me rejected his so called generous offer and no amount of me saying "this car isn't for sale" made the idiot leave...LOL....And there are the other aholes quoting outrageous amounts for shitty cars like the Morris Minor and Austin A series' trying to make a quick buck off this classic car craze.People need to realize that just because a car is old does not make it a classic.

• Like 7

Only last week I had a banker type fellow,wearing a tie and all offering me a brief case full of money to buy the TR as it is.Probably a buy and sell guy doing a side business apart from his job....and toward the end bugger got a bit pissed off when a grease monkey like me rejected his so called generous offer and no amount of me saying "this car isn't for sale" made the idiot leave...LOL

How did the bugger find you? And err...this banker type fellow didn't work at the central bank or anything did he? :D

How did the bugger find you? And err...this banker type fellow didn't work at the central bank or anything did he? :D

Probably word of mouth.My dad is sort of well known among the classic car community.And it's not an unusual thing for two or three people a month coming to my place asking if the cars are for sale,But none until now ever brought briefcases with cash though.I think it's a new tactic to tempt the owners in to selling.

Probably word of mouth.My dad is sort of well known among the classic car community.And it's not an unusual thing for two or three people a month coming to my place asking if the cars are for sale,But none until now ever brought briefcases with cash though.I think it's a new tactic to tempt the owners in to selling.

this "showing cash" thing is something that works for many sellers who are on the fence if you're haggling over the price.

I doubt it works for people who don't want to sell cos then the money factor is really out of the equation! :D

• Like 1

Hello to the sir who is doing the restore...I wish u the very best with all my heart..... about the Fiat 500 in the pic,do u think the owner will part with it?and do u know anybody who is willing to sell one???please help....

Hello to the sir who is doing the restore...I wish u the very best with all my heart..... about the Fiat 500 in the pic,do u think the owner will part with it?and do u know anybody who is willing to sell one???please help....

Thank you...The 500 is also mine and it's not for sale.I'll let you know if I come across one that is for sale.

• Like 1

Members,

There is a new product which is available in the market called Rust Converter by SISCO I got a bottle from a friend of mine who do car painting but still I did not try same.

Bottle specs says clean the rusted metal part with a wire brush apply the the rust converter leave it over night to complete the chemical reaction to take place just clean up with little thinner let it dry and do the normal painting.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

That makes me wonder..how about getting one of abundant F*&ked up modified Honda EG8s and restoring THAT to stock condition. :P

Didn't someone on the forum purchase a CRX with the intent of de-ricing/sympathetic restoration?

Sorry guys for the lack of updates but I've been a bit busy and also I'm struggling to get things going after the Avurudu holidays as the tinkers and mechanics are still reluctant to start work again....

So basically shes been like this for the last three weeks... sad I know.But we are rebuilding the carbs,I'll put up a post about that soon.

3vnCD.jpg

Edited by MasterDon

Members,

There is a new product which is available in the market called Rust Converter by SISCO I got a bottle from a friend of mine who do car painting but still I did not try same.

Bottle specs says clean the rusted metal part with a wire brush apply the the rust converter leave it over night to complete the chemical reaction to take place just clean up with little thinner let it dry and do the normal painting.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Yes Sylvi I am aware of the rust converters.I've refrained from using them because for a car that has been neglected as mine sometimes the chemical will end up eating right through the metal and you'll end up having to fabricate a whole new buffer or a door.I am not denouncing these new advances in technology but I strongly advise people use them with caution because even if you do find a tinker skilled enough, the time and the money it takes to fabricate a body part from scratch is immense.

But for removal of small rusted up areas it should do just fine.The rust converter by Wurth is the one I'd recommend though.

Edited by MasterDon

• 3 weeks later...

Preparing the engine for re-assembly.

Jvg6U.jpg

Most people neglect or even flat out forget to give the engine block a pressurerized oil,air and water treatment before re-assembling it.But it is a must especially if the engine has been idle for a long time.Remember I'm talking about the block only,remove the Crank shaft along with the con rods,liners(if applicable) and pistons.Your local service station should be able to handle it.

1.Pressure wash the block with a 1/2 litre of penetrating oil.Have them concentrate on the insides and the water/oil lines around the block.

2.Wait about 10 minutes then pressure wash with 1 litre of diesel,

3.Air it out with highly compressed air,again concentrating on the water and oil lines surrounding the combustion chamber

4.Pressure wash with water.

5.And finally.finish it off with a litre of petrol.applied same as above.

• Like 7