• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Me On Buying Fiberglass Materials

civicferio

Hi all,

This weekend I'm planning to do a DIY project on making custom eyelids for my car. now I'm facing a problem that buying a fiberglass materials ( Fiberglass clothe, Resin and hardener). I thought I can buy those from hardware nearby. But I searched several hardware shops for those items. they haven't got.

Please tell me a place to buy fiberglass materials.

Thanks

Hi all,

This weekend I'm planning to do a DIY project on making custom eyelids for my car. now I'm facing a problem that buying a fiberglass materials ( Fiberglass clothe, Resin and hardener). I thought I can buy those from hardware nearby. But I searched several hardware shops for those items. they haven't got.

Please tell me a place to buy fiberglass materials.

Thanks

if you google or even go through rainbowpages or any similar business listing...it's quite easy find these suppliers.

USS services is one famous place. there is another joint in mt. lavinia but i cant seem to recall their name.

working with fiber is messy and requires some level of experience.

I'd get some practice on simpler projects before venturing into more fine work.

resin mixing proportions, amount of epoxy to use on particular weight or cloth etc all take some getting used to.

good luck

• 1 year later...
This weekend I'm planning to do a DIY project on making custom eyelids for my car. now I'm facing a problem that buying a fiberglass materials ( Fiberglass clothe, Resin and hardener).

civicferio,

Although this thread is an older one, Kindly share how did you do it.

Where did you buy the fiberglass materials ( Fiberglass clothe, Resin and hardener)?

Because I also need to buy for a simple DIY project.

Please share your experience. Thanks.

civicferio,

Although this thread is an older one, Kindly share how did you do it.

Where did you buy the fiberglass materials ( Fiberglass clothe, Resin and hardener)?

Because I also need to buy for a simple DIY project.

Please share your experience. Thanks.

Hi Nishan,

I bought those meterials from USS services at pepiliyana. here is the address.

388/1, Sunethradevi Road, Pepiliyana Kohuwala,

coordinates: N6° 51.508 E79° 53.468

if you have navitel software you can find it and route.

Here is the google map route from papiliyana roundabout. copy and paste it in the address bar.

https://www.google.l...333!2d6.8584667

when you go there it is better to take two plastic or glass bottles with you. (for resin and harderner)

Hope this will help you.

thanks

• Like 1

Thanks & worth it. If possible please share your experience on fiberglass works. We would really like to know. Anyway Thanks.

fundamentally, fibreglass is strands of glass fibre held together by a type of "glue"

this "glue" come in two parts...the resin and hardener. there are different types of resins...like clear resin, opaque resin etc.

fibre comes in different types as well. you get the glass cloth which is like a sheet with woven fibers in it. these are usually biaxial woven rovings

there are plenty youtube vids on how to fibreglass...

i believe that would be your best bet to get a good understanding on thinds

• Like 1

hey mate....

As far as I know to get proper shape it required a mold....isnt it....?

if so how did u make that mold for your application.....?

I have seen a custom rear cowl for a Honda Hornet being done without a mold. The desired shape was built with cardboard using the existing cowl as measurement references and the fiber matt was laid on top of this cardboard 'plug'. Turned out pretty well. Mind you this was done in the backyard of a local small-time garage.

In another cafe racer build I saw on youtube, the guy 'formed' a fuel tank for the bike out of block of foam and used that as a plug. He glued several smaller blocks of foam (rigiform to us Lankans) together to build a bigger block of foam and shaved, trimmed and sanded at it and 'sculpted' the shape of the tank from it. Then he proceeded to lay the fiber over this and once hardened, poured acetone (don't remember for sure if it was acetone) in it which dissolved the foam inside allowing the, now liquid, foam to be poured out, leaving a hollow fiber shell.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Hi Friends,

Thanks to all and civicferio, I could do a custom work for my jeep. Picture attached. Its a small meter board for meters of volt, amp,vacuum, switches for fog ..etc. :) Happy to do it and hope someone could try it too.

Well done! That's pretty neat!

• Like 1

Hi Friends,

Thanks to all and civicferio, I could do a custom work for my jeep. Picture attached. Its a small meter board for meters of volt, amp,vacuum, switches for fog ..etc. :) Happy to do it and hope someone could try it too.

That has come out really nice! Looks store bought!!!

• Like 1