• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing Illumination/indicator Bulbs In Switches ... Diy

When I figured out that I had to replace the bulbs (long story, shortened, to follow), I searched hi and lo for answers and came up with non, and only found some really old posts with missing pics/etc. and I decided to do a public service and take pics when I did the second switch, lol. This was done on a Subaru Legacy Outback, but should be pretty generic in terms of the steps taken, hope it helps someone in the future.

A bit of background...if you don't want the boring stuff, just scroll down to the pics, lol

Started off with having no illumination and no indicator when the seat heater was turned on. I didn't leave the switches on long enough to even try and feel the seats heat up; car is pretty new to me and it's still not on the road yet. Searched the typical keywords and got "some" answers on the diagrams and what fuses/etc. feed the switch. Checked them all; they were good so I turned my attention to the switch itself. Why didn't I check the switch first? well, with no illumination and no indication on BOTH switches, who would've though all 4 went out, it was much easier to think it was a fuse! lol.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I verified that there was power at the switch and verified the illumination feed too; so I turned to the bulbs. At first I took the top (rocker) section apart and out came flying the tiny little ball the makes it a positive action ... ooops, luckily I saw it fall in my toolbox drawer. Put that end back together and soldiered on! Now comes the guide....

I understand that in SL, you're not gonna find a RadioShack, lol, but I left the link up so you know what you're supposed to use.

* Parts required, 1 * #272-1092 per switch; pack of 2 * 12V/60mA Microlamps from RadioShack ... http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103780

* Tools I used was a pick and needle nose pliers

First take the center console piece off the car and unplug it all and take a seat at your kitchen table

35684362672.jpg

above is what you see, press the two tabs on both sides and pop the switch off of the console plate. Then, you'll get what you see below...

35684362673.jpg

part #2 to follow, 'cos AL doesn't let me post more than a few pics at a time

It gets a bit hairy here but gently pull the tabs apart and take the rear section of the switch off. Be gentle, you don't wanna break the tabs... pic below shows the tabs I'm talking about.

35684362674.jpg

Below is what you'd find when you take the bottom off. The white slider has a little post that slips into a slot on the rocker switch. The contacts on the bottom usually fall apart (well it did when I took it apart), so I included a pic of how it goes back together too.

35684362675.jpg

35684362676.jpg

Now you see the bulbs in their little rubber holders. The tall one is the indicator and the shorter one is the illumination. Do it one at a time so you don't get confused on which one's which and where they go. The leads are fed through the middle and then sort of woven through the base so that it makes contact with the posts that it's mounted on. Hard to explain, easy to figure out ... and I have pics.

Here is the old bulb taken off the Holder...

35684362677.jpg

35684362678.jpg

35684362679.jpg

Here's the new bulb leads fed through the holder...

35684362680.jpg

Here's where you start gently weaving it back up... go outwards and up though the slot

35684362681.jpg

... and then back down then back down through the hole towards the side

35684362682.jpg

Then, fold if outwards again and cut off the excess. It's the same with the other longer one. And then you'd end up with the same final product you started with

Now make sure you mount the bulbs properly and that the leads are making contact with the mounts and put it all back together. Remember to position the post of the white slider in the middle of its range and also the rocker switch should be in the middle of its range. Snapping it back together takes a bit of gentle effort. I would position the lower section as pictured and gently lower the top/rocker portion onto it (making sure it's the correct direction) and then give it a good firm push till it snaps.

THERE YOU GO!

• 4 years later...

Hey machan

I have a Honda and im searching for the same size of bulbs (bath ate size). I was unable to find it in anywhere. Will you be able to point me to a shop or the bulb size so that I can order and get it down from somewhere atleast?

Hope to get a responses ASAP.

Thanks in advance

Hey machan

I have a Honda and im searching for the same size of bulbs (bath ate size). I was unable to find it in anywhere. Will you be able to point me to a shop or the bulb size so that I can order and get it down from somewhere atleast?

Hope to get a responses ASAP.

Thanks in advance

These are called T1 bulbs, you can find them on ebay/aliexpress.

These are called T1 bulbs, you can find them on ebay/aliexpress.

Thanks STIG.. Just curious there are bulbs with different voltage.. what should i refer to? for an example 6.5v or 12v or 4v

Thanks STIG.. Just curious there are bulbs with different voltage.. what should i refer to? for an example 6.5v or 12v or 4v

I think 12v or 14v is standard but honestly don't know for sure since I don't have these bulbs in my car. Are there any markings on the old bulb or maybe your service manual might have the bulb type and voltage.

I think 12v or 14v is standard but honestly don't know for sure since I don't have these bulbs in my car. Are there any markings on the old bulb or maybe your service manual might have the bulb type and voltage.

No markings machan.. bulb is fully blown (totally black colored).. I couldn't find a service manual either.. (mine is a honda city 2001 model & honda city 2004 GD8 model)

No markings machan.. bulb is fully blown (totally black colored).. I couldn't find a service manual either.. (mine is a honda city 2001 model & honda city 2004 GD8 model)

If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage from the connector. If not best to go with a higher voltage bulb, at best it will loose some brightness if the input voltage is lower. If you go with a higher voltage bulb it might burn.

oh is that so.. But last time i wanted to buy T5 bulbs, there were only few places (2-3 shops) which has those.. they were saying they don't have bulbs smaller than this (therefore i had to cut tiny bit from the edge to make those bulbs fit to my socket)