• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing Car For Personal Use

Johnny1

Hello I'm coming once in a year to SriLanka and I own a foreign citizenship, I'm wanting to import a vehicle to Sri lanka for personal use, for me and for transportation to my children because of theyre studies. do i need to get any permit? Will i have to drive with the same plate uk from the place i bought the vehicle or i have to pay for private plat

If you tring to move your exiting car from your current resident to Sri Lanka it can be done under act of CARNET DE PASSAGES EN DOUANES which means you can import car from another country to SL for temporary use while you staying here but this isn't common. Mostly this method use by Diplomats and racing event organizers. It will give temporary staying permit from DMT to you and terms are you can't sell, dismantle or abandon the vehicle. you should reship it to the origin country or any other after your visiting SL. Of course you can use UK plate while in this case. But it is lots of hassle and waste of money. My idea to you is if you're planing to stay long, try to find a car that suits your needs in domestic market in SL. Probably you can get unregistered one and later sell it with profit when you leaving. and the other option is use a self driven rental car. It is much cheaper if you willing to stay short time in SL. No hassle at all. Reasonable car rental company can be find almost in island wide.

Edited by Malaka2

i've already got a personal car in uk and was wondering whether I can bring it down for 4 years or more due to my childrens studies, its diesel with powerful engine 2800/3000cc and want to use it in sri lanka for my personal use and not sell it nor abandone it, Should i pay any tax or not? If not should i keep the uk plates since i have its citizenship? Am i allowed to import it throughout the embassy?

You have to pay fright chargers twice with insurance port clearance all these for importing to SL and back to UK. You have to request SL DMT via your embassy for CARNET DE PASSAGES EN DOUANES. I'm not sure the domestic chargers for 4 yrs. But definitely you should have international driving license. So don't jump to any conclusion first of all try to get all details from proper channels, otherwise you might end up in mess. Because SL Tax scheme just got hike, and I don't know what types of Levies you should pay on this. But I'm sure that it way more cheap you to buy a car in SL than this. If you can Store or park Your Car in long time arrangement in UK you save lot more than this. and I don't know what model you have in Uk. 4 yrs means you already tear and worn out your vehicle's most of it. So, shipping it back to Uk might be waste to you after 4 years.. So my advice to you is think about this twice before you do this. And clearly your ambition is to use this vehicle for daily purpose as grocery shopping dropping kids to school like this. I think. For that 3000cc is overpower I guess, so according to SL fuel price you might have to think it too. If you want more advice contact aaceylon. They handle things like this. PM me I'll send their contact detail or just visit this URL http://www.aaceylon.lk/contactus.htm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you import a car under Carnet, maximum you can keep it in Sri Lanka is three months. Also you cannot be a residence permit holder for Sri Lanka.

There are no taxes for vehicles imported to Sri Lanka under Carnet scheme and you are allowed to run with your UK plates.

hi thank for the info Malaka2 and Crosswind ive got a Mercedes which is 4yrs old, looks as a brand new one but bought it 2nd hand, just bought it about 7 months ago. I'm deciding whether to bring it down to Sri Lanka due to not having a vehicle there anymore, sold it last year. Am I allowed to import it there throughout the embassy and having permission from the Ministry of External Affairs that I'm allowed to use the vehicle for anytime i want as in personal use and cannot be sold after 5-6 year. i'm Not wanting to sell it to gain profit but just to use it as for my family use, am i allowed to use it with the UK plates? and after 5 year can i register it? as i said it is for my personal use, not wanting to sell it as it is the best vehicle i have. Will i have to pay custom duty tax? Please let me know and what step will i have to face as in importing it. thanks for the Help!

Edited by Johnny1

According to new custom law you can't carnet a vehicle more than 3 months in SL soil. So your case its pointless to take down a merc in carnet permit and according to my knowledge you can't either import your merc normal way with paying tax beacuse there is a rule in SL that every car that import to SL should not exceed more than a year since date of manufacture. So you said your merc is alreay 4yrs old simply you can't import it. As it to day cars only can import manufacture in 2010 and Vans manufacture in 2007.