• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reflections On Sri Lanka's Automotive History By Mr. Sylvi Wijesinghe

Supra_Natural

Members,

This post is not related to Automobiles. It is about food stores history.

Whenever I travel on Marine drive this comes to my mind. I must post this to A/L.

About food stores in Colombo. Near Dehiwala bridge Colombo side.

Adjoining Railway line, Marine drive there were government build Food stores. During the 2nd WW.

My memory goes back to 1950s. I remember all food was carried by Lorries to that food stores.

Today that stores complex. No more a food is stored there,converted to some other government departmental requarements.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Also: Good job on sharing with us little nuggets of Sri Lankan history that most of us have no idea about :grinning-smiley-003:

Edited by Kavvz

Members,

One more.

Biggest 2WW stores to South East Asia were build in Veyangoda. This stores complex had from a needle to any spare pat for a land vehicle and Medicians.

Biggest was Communication equipment spares .Fully assembled Transceivers. For aircrafts and for land fighting forces to communicate all were HF Transceivers Valves powered. At that time few FM Transceivers.

I as a small chap go there with my late father to buy spares for Magnetos. Most of them were sold with knowledge of British officers who were entrusted salvage the left over spares.

Later no one bought them sold entire stock to one time trader famous Mable stores owner.

Biggest Communication relay station was built on a hill at Deraniyagala. British army after 2WW sold 5 portable 50 KW generators.

We bought them and fitted on tea estates as stand by generators. All had Caterpillar engines with Donkey 2 cylinder petrol engine to start 75 HP Diesel engines which generate power.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Warlord,

Wesco was originally SLTB they had buses of following makes.

62-, AG, bus, Duple Metsec, ISUZU, Sri Lanka Transport Board, Wesco.

I was trying to contact former legal officer CTB from the inception, retired now could not contact her.

Try to give some more information later. Once I gave some information from her to A/L.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

if you are interested on CTB -> link

So many memories at shakthi eh? Don't wanna go too OT but will add these: I'm sure most guys can relate

1. First time to beat up a royalist. He's my superior now. :S

2. First time to (almost) get beaten up by a girl's jealous boyfriend

3. Helped a friend chase a hopeless tail. She's still my friend tho!

Sorry for the sylvi-esque meander. Won't happen again.

Plenty of memories at Shakthi Machan. And co-incidentally had my share of fights over with two royalists for one Vishakian -who happened to be my best buddy's crush(Jeez.....). I met one guy actually a few days ago, and the bugger still so pissed off, didn't even want to excahnge any pleasantries with me :speechless-smiley-004: (No wonder after beating the shit out of him)......

S_N sorry if this is OT. Couldn't help commenting :sad-smiley-068:

Komi if its' not against the forum rules may ask whether you are from Ananda????

Warlord,

Wesco was originally SLTB they had buses of following makes.

62-, AG, bus, Duple Metsec, ISUZU, Sri Lanka Transport Board, Wesco.

I was trying to contact former legal officer CTB from the inception, retired now could not contact her.

Try to give some more information later. Once I gave some information from her to A/L.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Duple Metsec is a french coach builder if I am not mistaken. The initial kaha kurullas with Mercedes Benz engines actually had 02 body types. The Metsec built boxy ones (with the Duple Metsec badge) and the locally built ones identical to the 30 sri & 60 sri Ashok leyland bodies.

Ravi Wettasinghe's LATEC, coach built a set of Tatas & ashok leylands identical to the benz mestecs which was named as LATEC duple metsec. Later they had a different model which was by colured yellow and red, this model actually had a few model changes where later they adopted the black buffer and the final model , was actually offered in mass scale by PLC to the private sector with a changed face and rear (Black highlights around the signal lamps , bright red/ yellow/ grey body decals , changed shell) and actually carried the DM (Duple Metsec) logo in teh front , without any mention about LATEC / Wesco (which was the first time the buses adopted this logo). Also LATEC built the Isuzu & TATA long bodies (semi luxuries & super luxuries) as well for CTB.

Also, CTB had set of buses which were coach built by Sino in Ekala based on a great wall chassis. those became extinct pretty soon, but I can remeber one actually travelling in the fort- Ja Ela route ages after they were discarded by CTB.

D*MO built a set of coaches , initially on a mercedes chassis and later on TATA. Those were the buses which had the funny bubblish windscreens. I think there were 03 generations for the D*MO built buses. D*MO actually exported a batch these buses to some country, which I think is Bangladesh (Not sure). I can faintly remember seeing a bus in Dhaka vaguely resembling the D*MO body shape. BUt as u know very few buses in Bnagladesh remained non mutanized. So mine is just a hunch. I really wonder why D*MO stopped building those coaches. I in fact popped the question a very senior member of D*MO at a forum when I was in the Uni, but the reply was that in a country like Sri Lanka , having low volumes of demand ( fairly low population) it was not sustainable to carry out the body assembly operations. But I've heard a few other stories as well.

Edited by Warlord

Plenty of memories at Shakthi Machan. And co-incidentally had my share of fights over with two royalists for one Vishakian -who happened to be my best buddy's crush(Jeez.....). I met one guy actually a few days ago, and the bugger still so pissed off, didn't even want to excahnge any pleasantries with me :speechless-smiley-004: (No wonder after beating the shit out of him)......

S_N sorry if this is OT. Couldn't help commenting :sad-smiley-068:

Komi if its' not against the forum rules may ask whether you are from Ananda????

I beleive Komi is a pure bred gal-kolla.

Gal kolla to the bone and every royalists' cryptonite. I'm a Thomian.

Duple Metsec is a french coach builder if I am not mistaken. The initial kaha kurullas with Mercedes Benz engines actually had 02 body types. The Metsec built boxy ones (with the Duple Metsec badge) and the locally built ones identical to the 30 sri & 60 sri Ashok leyland bodies.

Ravi Wettasinghe's LATEC, coach built a set of Tatas & ashok leylands identical to the benz mestecs which was named as LATEC duple metsec. Later they had a different model which was by colured yellow and red, this model actually had a few model changes where later they adopted the black buffer and the final model , was actually offered in mass scale by PLC to the private sector with a changed face and rear (Black highlights around the signal lamps , bright red/ yellow/ grey body decals , changed shell) and actually carried the DM (Duple Metsec) logo in teh front , without any mention about LATEC / Wesco (which was the first time the buses adopted this logo). Also LATEC built the Isuzu & TATA long bodies (semi luxuries & super luxuries) as well for CTB.

Also, CTB had set of buses which were coach built by Sino in Ekala based on a great wall chassis. those became extinct pretty soon, but I can remeber one actually travelling in the fort- Ja Ela route ages after they were discarded by CTB.

D*MO built a set of coaches , initially on a mercedes chassis and later on TATA. Those were the buses which had the funny bubblish windscreens. I think there were 03 generations for the D*MO built buses. D*MO actually exported a batch these buses to some country, which I think is Bangladesh (Not sure). I can faintly remember seeing a bus in Dhaka vaguely resembling the D*MO body shape. BUt as u know very few buses in Bnagladesh remained non mutanized. So mine is just a hunch. I really wonder why D*MO stopped building those coaches. I in fact popped the question a very senior member of D*MO at a forum when I was in the Uni, but the reply was that in a country like Sri Lanka , having low volumes of demand ( fairly low population) it was not sustainable to carry out the body assembly operations. But I've heard a few other stories as well.

Warlord,

Your post is correct. Person you mentioned was responsible for closer of Werahahara CTB central Workshop.

Had Buses bodies assembling plant, did plenty of reconditioning Buses engines and related other important units of buses.

Today it is converted to Registrar of motor Vehicles one office.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

TATA bought a large number of shares in D*MO. That was the end of D*MO's local attempts to assemble vehicles.

There are countries with lower population and lower purchasing power that assembles their own buses. Senegal is an example.

Members,

Below Pictures from Bambalapitiya St Mary's Church Feast which Fonseka Family's.

Take a very active part as a tradition for last 105 years without any interruption.

Which took place last Sunday 8th morning. This is the seventh generation who take part.

https://www.facebook.com/sylvester.wijesinghe.7/media_set?set=a.774308119253231.1073741826.100000221518991&type=3&uploaded=16

Last Picture Race cart was on Puttalam road in march this year.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Here you go Sylvi

Link 1

Link 2

Kaws,

Thank you for your reply. I changed my mind of buying a good MM car due to high cost.

Bought a Car made in 1995 for one worker of mine. He is capable of repairing same. This car cost me 4.5 lacks with A/C. Not working all parts of A/C is there.

New paint has to be done. Once touched up early. Entire brake system needs. To be repaired to our satisfaction.

Seats, inside hood door boards are in very good condition. Good tires (50%). Replace all four door glass, rubber Chanel’s and door glass beadings.

Engine repair records by last owner 12 months ago. New front safety glass has to replace because original W/S glass is a Tempered glass last owner did not know that.

Body condition, Only 1% corrosion, I never use OXY ACETALINE for Tinkering. I do a rivet a sheet metal for that place. Or cut off that corroded area and use spot welding with minimum heat. Epoxy is applied first. Use fiber glass on top of that to get the shape to best, little metal filler and re paint same. 30 years back tested. No complains

In all I think can compete. Transfer full insurance. Under 200000/= Rupees.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Body condition, Only 1% corrosion, I never use OXY ACETALINE for Tinkering. I do a rivet a sheet metal for that place. Or cut off that corroded area and use spot welding with minimum heat. Epoxy is applied first. Use fiber glass on top of that to get the shape to best, little metal filler and re paint same. 30 years back tested. No complains

In all I think can compete. Transfer full insurance. Under 200000/= Rupees.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ye gods! Sylvi is repairing corrosion with fibreglass!!!!!

• Like 1

Ye gods! Sylvi is repairing corrosion with fibreglass!!!!!

Crosswind,

Most countries, repair men do corrosions with fiber glass. It was done successfully for few decades.

This I got from the web..

Related Products:

$35.75

Make Me a Believer Miracle Paint Rust Repair Starter Kit - with manual and Fiberglass cloth

Works on all Mercedes Ponton 190SL 230SL 250SL 280SL 220SE 300SE 250SE 280SE 300SEL 450SL 450SEL 300SD 200D 220D 240D 300D 300CD 300TD and Others

NEW and improved Miracle Paint HD formula. This new formula has a thicker viscosity for easier application on vertical surfaces and when using fiberglass cloth.

$68.75

Miracle Paint Underbody Complete Sheetmetal Rust Repair Kit with Extras

Can only be shipped UPS Ground!

NEW and improved HD formula. This new formula has a thicker viscosity for easier application on vertical surfaces and when using fiberglass cloth.

$23.95

Miracle Paint For Permanent Rust Repair PINT Black - Free Brushes and Gloves

NEW and improved HD formula. This new formula has a thicker viscosity for easier application on vertical surfaces and when using fiberglass cloth.

Miracle Paint Rust Out Repair Fiberglass Cloth Assortment

3 pc. of the best types of fiberglass to use for rust hole repair

For those of you needing extra fiberglass cloths for your rust repairs, we have put together an ideal kit of the most commonly used types of cloth. These are the types that work best with Miracle Paint. You get 1 pc. of one square foot (6" wide by 24" long) of the heavy mesh cloth, 1 pc.

Recommended for these common problems:

Rust / Corrosion

Rocker Panel and Floor Permanent Rust Repair without Welding

You can do it yourself without the hassle and bad side affects of welding!

Rust / Corrosion

Miracle Rust Repair for Your Old Mercedes

Yes there is! Miracle Paint and fiberglass cloth can work miracles.

Rust / Corrosion

Welding in New Sheet Metal When Repairing Rust Out

Not always the best solution as you will see here.

Interior

Finding the Source of Interior Water Leaks

This can drive you crazy. Never assume anything. The leak may be coming from a place you would least expect

Rust / Corrosion

Fixing Rust: Learning the Many Uses of Miracle Paint

It works on any type of rust - on any iron based metal - on any vehicle or part

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Crosswind,

Like to have your comments of fiber glass body work.

I will upload all pictures once it is completed.

90% of the work is over in suspensions and paint only have to do little bit on gear oil leak.

According to the seller they have done the engine completely. My driver came at 70 Km at highway from Ja-ela to Colombo.

Up to now the cost is 70000.00. Rupees without Labor.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Received by Email.

Dec 12, 2013

PHOTO CAPTION: Peugeot Ion is clone of Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

The Remarkable Energy Efficiency of Electric Cars

Five Peugeot Ions drive over 42,000 miles in two year-long test to measure their energy efficiency.

Published: 12-Dec-2013

A Belgium research group called Laborelec, with support from Brussels' Vrije University, set out two years ago to collect extensive data on the energy use of electric cars. Funded by Electrabel, the Belgian utility, they acquired five Peugeot Ion EVs, essentially clones of Mitsubishi's i-MiEV, some 30,000 of which have been sold worldwide.

Various volunteers drove the mini-cars for a total of 42,953 miles, onboard sensors collecting reams of data on energy use from how much power propelled the cars to how much regenerative braking contributed to added driving range.

The results are impressive. Measured in watt hours per mile, the five cars averaged, respectively: 289.62 ; 336.28 ; 249.39 ; 291.23 ; 299.27. Collectively for the five car fleet, the average came out to be 293.16 wH/m. Assuming there are some 34,000 Watt hours of energy in a gallon of gasoline, that works out to be the equivalent of 115 miles per gallon in real world daily operation, not on some isolated test track or laboratory dynamometer.

The researchers also found that regenerative braking helped improve the efficiency of the fleet by an 11.86%. The biggest draw down the study found was the energy needed to provide the driver and passengers with cabin heat. Early cars used current-sucking resistive heat, but carmakers have shifted now to more efficient heat pump systems. Overall the percentage of energy diverted to run the support systems worked out to be, again respectively: 40.1 ; 35.8 ; 21.6 ; 22.0 ; 36.4.

But even at this rate, the cars proved dramatically more efficient than either their gasoline/petrol or diesel counterparts. In terms of their plug-to-wheel efficiency they averaged, as a fleet a rate of 54.12%.

Apparently, one of the test drivers was so impressed with the performance of his company electric car, he went out and bought one for himself

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Received by Email.

Dec 12, 2013

PHOTO CAPTION: Peugeot Ion is clone of Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

The Remarkable Energy Efficiency of Electric Cars

Five Peugeot Ions drive over 42,000 miles in two year-long test to measure their energy efficiency.

Published: 12-Dec-2013

A Belgium research group called Laborelec, with support from Brussels' Vrije University, set out two years ago to collect extensive data on the energy use of electric cars. Funded by Electrabel, the Belgian utility, they acquired five Peugeot Ion EVs, essentially clones of Mitsubishi's i-MiEV, some 30,000 of which have been sold worldwide.

Various volunteers drove the mini-cars for a total of 42,953 miles, onboard sensors collecting reams of data on energy use from how much power propelled the cars to how much regenerative braking contributed to added driving range.

The results are impressive. Measured in watt hours per mile, the five cars averaged, respectively: 289.62 ; 336.28 ; 249.39 ; 291.23 ; 299.27. Collectively for the five car fleet, the average came out to be 293.16 wH/m. Assuming there are some 34,000 Watt hours of energy in a gallon of gasoline, that works out to be the equivalent of 115 miles per gallon in real world daily operation, not on some isolated test track or laboratory dynamometer.

The researchers also found that regenerative braking helped improve the efficiency of the fleet by an 11.86%. The biggest draw down the study found was the energy needed to provide the driver and passengers with cabin heat. Early cars used current-sucking resistive heat, but carmakers have shifted now to more efficient heat pump systems. Overall the percentage of energy diverted to run the support systems worked out to be, again respectively: 40.1 ; 35.8 ; 21.6 ; 22.0 ; 36.4.

But even at this rate, the cars proved dramatically more efficient than either their gasoline/petrol or diesel counterparts. In terms of their plug-to-wheel efficiency they averaged, as a fleet a rate of 54.12%.

Apparently, one of the test drivers was so impressed with the performance of his company electric car, he went out and bought one for himself

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

The figure is misleading (more like our CBSL figures). It has just taken the energy content of a gallon of gasoline and calculated the mpg figure with no regard whatsoever to the equivalent conversion efficiency of an ICE engine (which at the very best best stand like 50% for a two stroke and 43% for a four stroke. Added to this is the loss in drive chain and the rolling resistance). So this figure is NOT a fair comparison of ICE vehicle mpg to efficiency of an electric vehicle.

Edited by Rumesh88

Master Don,

I think we should forget all differences whatever we A/L members have.

Met on one place to have friendly chat over a drink, sing song. Have a good meal and be friends forever.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Why the f**k is this addressed to me?...You sing dance or whatever...leave me out of it.

• Like 1

Master Don,

My intention on that post was not to hurt or underestimate any member on this forum.

You are senior member on this forum. That post was just a suggestion. Always better to propose to a senior member. I do not think I hurt your dignity on A/L this forum. My Sincere Apologies’ for same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.