• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reflections On Sri Lanka's Automotive History By Mr. Sylvi Wijesinghe

Supra_Natural

"kavvz"

Thank you for your comment. I decided to leave due to so many restrictions for my posts , also one member was posting against my posts with all sorts of unwanted things.

Very good you have come back, post some interesting things to Auto Lanka.

Will be in touch with you.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2

Dear Mr @Sylvi Wijesinghe,

Would you be able to please enlighten us on how both companies (car agents or independent workshops) and individuals managed to carry out work or more to the point import car parts during the 1960-70's Bandaranaike era?

I ask this because of the potential parallels, if indeed the country is to restrict imports in order to stem the slide of the rupee and safeguard reserves in this post-COVID19 economy in 2020.

How did people/businesses manage back then?

• Like 2

Devinda_Z,

Dear Mr. Devinda_Z,

WILL WRITE A DETAIL EXPLANATION WHAT I REMEMBER IN THAT DARK ERA, AUTOMOBILES AND INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE.

During that time (1962 to 1977) I was just 19 years old, when import restrictions came in. For about one year all spares were available in the country, to replace and use the vehicles as well as heavy industrial units. Limited amount of spares were allowed to import only for registered importers who had early import the items. With the the foreign exchange what was available at that time in the country.

All our traditional plantation produce exports like Tea, rubber, Coconut was encouraged with CRA. Convertible Rupee Account was the name for that Account in the banks. That was a limited (percentage) amount of exchange were allowed, for the amount of the export earned from the export.

Non traditional exports like Gems, Cinnamon, and few others were given a very high percentage of foreign exchange what they earned from the exports, to import according to the amount of the export.  Maximum amount was given to Gems 25%. That amount was free of any taxes, if the import was for your use. You are allowed to import was for your requirement.

All big time exporters ( I will not mention their names) made plenty of money by selling their  CRA money what the had earned from exports. The amounts in their CRA accounts, by selling to second party.

Motor cars were allowed to import for own use,any one who has CRA. Directors of companies, Partners of small exporters were given permits to import cars and what ever they want for their requirements. CRA was sold for 125% of the cost of money, what the item costs. If the cost (CIF) is 1 Rupee have to pay 1 Rupee + another 1.25 rupees to the CRA holder. Import comes to the CRA holders name. Final importers, CRA cost becomes cost + another 125%. Then the seller sells at any price he wishes depending on the market.

I will write about cars  because this Auto Lanka is a Automobile forum. Cost of a used car any age usable( no age limit) (Austin, Morris, VW, MB, Fiat,Ford,) will be (CIF) around Rupees with taxes under Rupees 20000/00. Open market all used cars were sold for having Rupees 50000/00 Profit. Car was costing around Rupees 75000/00. to Sri Lanka. New car of any of those models were above Rupees 100000/00.

To maintain automobiles and other industrial units our maintainers  had to do plenty of modifications. Mostly E U cars spares were reconditioned. Few Lathe shops did rebuilding like original spare, that was not noticeable cost was about 50 to 75% of the new unit which was not available to buy. Gave same amount or more usable time. Ball joints were rebuild plenty of modifications were done to spares, UK spares were fitted to E U vehicles after modifying. Entire vehicles were reconditioned including inside of automobiles were changed according to the wishes of the owner. Alternators for Dynamo's  came just after import restrictions were imposed to our country. Most workshops changed them to Dynamo's. Few Technicians knew the advantage of Alternators. Few years later all got used to Alternators because the spares were available in the market.

Plenty of new spare part reconditioning work shops were set up in all parts of the country.I will write list of automobile re-conditioners.

(LATHE & MILLING MACHINE SHOPS, WASTED PART BUILDERS  ENGINE RE-BUILDERS, TINKERS, PAINTERS, ELECTRICAL REPAIRERS, RUBBER BUSH MOLDERS.)

I had to write few top paras to explain that dark era, because most of our younger generation do not know the difficulties Sri Lanka under went in that time.

If any member like to know any more of that era and new model vehicles were were imported with developed technology please do request will write what I know and remember.

I Did have CRA with bought Invoices of exporters who had export orders, were exported in my name got two Vehicles and all spares what ever I wanted for my work shop use. I do not do any thing what I did early at present. Living a retired life waiting for the final call on my 76+, (76 years  3 months  17 days) of contended happy past life. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
word was repeted twice
  • Like 1

Thanks Sylvi uncle for your detailed explanation on your experiences of the old automotive history of Sri Lanka. We appreciate and welcome you for your involvement in this forum as an active senior citizen...?.

I have a doubt to ask - you have mentioned,

3 hours ago, Sylvi said:

During that time (1962 to 1977) I was just 19 years old

Uncle, all those 15 years - how you were 19 years old...????. As a younger generation, we are curious to understand about that statement.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, tilvin said:

Thanks Sylvi uncle for your detailed explanation on your experiences of the old automotive history of Sri Lanka. We appreciate and welcome you for your involvement in this forum as an active senior citizen...?.

I have a doubt to ask - you have mentioned,

Uncle, all those 15 years - how you were 19 years old...????. As a younger generation, we are curious to understand about that statement.

Thanks.

Come, come putha easy no? Reading through his post its obvious Mr Sylvi meant that he was only 18 /19 in 1962...(18ish going on 19). Aiyo! This younger generation and their thirst for precision...I tell you! :D 

Okay, but in all seriousness, and I mean this in the nicest way: No need to take the mickey out of him unnecessarily now is there? After all most people his age can't even figuare out how to check text messages on their phones, let alone log into automotive forums and share posts! So really, I'm very thankful Mr. Sylvi is here on Autolanka to share how things were back then with us...I doubt even Jalopnik would have anyone his age posting stuff! We are quite lucky to have him here. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tilvin said:

Just kidding with Uncle Sylvi...?. Actually I am one of his fans...:action-smiley-033:. With love also, sometimes kids play with seniors...:medium-smiley-005:. He will understand that...?

tilvin,

I DO NOT THINK YOU UNDERSTOOD THAT POST.

I hope you will address members in a better way Instead of calling unwanted relation ships. One reason for me to keep away without posting to this Auto Lanka was one member was abusing me calling unwanted way. He was not posting any posts in the near past., even who are responsible for this Auto Lanka did not take any firm action against that member during that time. 

Past I was advised by several senior members not to get involved with this Auto Lanka. I took their advise and stopped posting. My posts were moderated and chopped according to the whims and fancies of the people who are responsible. When I comment about the truth of some members.

Member Kavvz had posted the correct post to your post

MEMBER Kavvas thanks for your reply.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi.

My dear Sylvi Uncle,

I have been brought up in a Traditional Land of Sri Lanka which has strong relationships and family bindings. We respect our elders and senior citizens. That's why I didn't want to mention your name alone....?. Whether you like it or not, as a Sri Lankan child I will call you fondly as Uncle...?. You should be happy that I didn't call you as "Seey*"...?.

Have a nice day...?. You will encounter so many surprises from younger generation if you start to behave rudely...:medium-smiley-005:. Just kidding...?. Please don't take anything serious. Just kidding with you...?.

Thanks.

Edited by tilvin
spelling error

3 hours ago, Sylvi said:

tilvin,

I DO NOT THINK YOU UNDERSTOOD THAT POST.

I hope you will address members in a better way Instead of calling unwanted relation ships. One reason for me to keep away without posting to this Auto Lanka was one member was abusing me calling unwanted way. He was not posting any posts in the near past., even who are responsible for this Auto Lanka did not take any firm action against that member during that time. 

Past I was advised by several senior members not to get involved with this Auto Lanka. I took their advise and stopped posting. My posts were moderated and chopped according to the whims and fancies of the people who are responsible. When I comment about the truth of some members.

Member Kavvz had posted the correct post to your post

MEMBER Kavvas thanks for your reply.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi.

3 hours ago, tilvin said:

My dear Sylvi Uncle,

I have been brought up in a Traditional Land of Sri Lanka which has strong relationships and family bindings. We respect our elders and senior citizens. That's why I didn't want to mention your name alone....?. Whether you like it or not, as a Sri Lankan child I will call you fondly as Uncle...?. You should be happy that I didn't call you as "Seey*"...?.

Have a nice day...?. You will encounter so many surprises from younger generation if you start to behave rudely...:medium-smiley-005:. Just kidding...?. Please don't take anything serious. Just kidding with you...?.

Thanks.

Well without taking sides I do want to point out:

1.  Mr Sylvi :  'tilvin'  did apologize in spirit, and even went so far as to say he was a fan of yours and was glad you were here. I don't think he meant to insult you via his posts. 

2. @tilvin : Mr Sylvi did in the past raise issue with being called 'uncle' by members who are not his immediate family and requested us to simply call him Sylvi, Sylvester, or if we wanted Mr. Sylvi , Mr Wijesinghe etc...I don't remember the exact details but I do remember it came up. While I agree with you that in Sri Lanka the term 'uncle' is a term of respect and endearment; we all have login names which are unqiue and perhaps some of us don't want people arbitrarily changing those monikers around based on age, physical appearence or taste in cars etc.  I for one certainly don't want anyone refering to me as, Kavvz thadiya, thattaya, bada, Naki-Wisei, Tuk-tuk Kaavz or something equally vile  if / when I post beach pictures of me standing in my red speedos next to my "100% fully modified, 4wd bajaj -Montero TRD SuperSports Special-Racing-Team" car...:D

However reading through your post: I kinda understand your point and see where you might be getting hung up. I don't know what to say @tilvin other than to say....its a tough one! ?‍♂️

Also: Please note the above are just my (mostly questionable) thoughts and I don't seek to take sides nor am I under the misconception that my opinion matters in anyway....

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Well without taking sides I do want to point out:

1.  Mr Sylvi :  'tilvin'  did apologize in spirit, and even went so far as to say he was a fan of yours and was glad you were here. I don't think he meant to insult you via his posts. 

2. @tilvin : Mr Sylvi did in the past raise issue with being called 'uncle' by members who are not his immediate family and requested us to simply call him Sylvi, Sylvester, or if we wanted Mr. Sylvi , Mr Wijesinghe etc...I don't remember the exact details but I do remember it came up. While I agree with you that in Sri Lanka the term 'uncle' is a term of respect and endearment; we all have login names which are unqiue and perhaps some of us don't want people arbitrarily changing those monikers around based on age, physical appearence or taste in cars etc.  I for one certainly don't want anyone refering to me as, Kavvz thadiya, thattaya, bada, Naki-Wisei, Tuk-tuk Kaavz or something equally vile  if / when I post beach pictures of me standing in my red speedos next to my "100% fully modified, 4wd bajaj -Montero TRD SuperSports Special-Racing-Team" car...:D

However reading through your post: I kinda understand your point and see where you might be getting hung up. I don't know what to say @tilvin other than to say....its a tough one! ?‍♂️

Also: Please note the above are just my (mostly questionable) thoughts and I don't seek to take sides nor am I under the misconception that my opinion matters in anyway....

This forum has gone wild with rodents... No respect to adults nothing...and nothing other than boasting... time to be smart from now on...

Edited by Ted

24 minutes ago, Ted said:

No respect to adults nothing

My friend, I am again speechless by your comment...?. First see yourself in the mirror. In a single post, I can't manage both versions - senior and junior...?. Escape....?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

1 minute ago, tilvin said:

My friend, I am again speechless by your comment...?. First see yourself in the mirror. In a single post, I can't manage both versions - senior and junior...?. Escape....?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Try to be at least sensitive to that gentleman's age. Have some respect at least for those who do not harm u.. 

51 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

and was glad you were here. I don't think he meant to insult you via his posts. 

Thanks my friend. I never had any intention to hurt our senior member. I still admire and love him for his active involvement in the forum..?. But my conscience will not allow me to call him by name after knowing about him...?. My parents did not bring me up like that. I had born in Sri Lanka and raised with Sri Lankan culture...?. I am not an idiot to boast about any kupi theoretical knowledge after playing with few Arduino, NodeMCU or Rasperry PI boards...?.

Edited by tilvin

1 hour ago, Ted said:

This forum has gone wild with rodents... No respect to adults nothing...and nothing other than boasting... time to take over by smart ppl from now on...

Nothing wrong with a bit of boasting...besides if we can't boast a bit about our cars or admire what others are doing with their cars on autolanka, what's the point? 

Also its hard to define 'smart' :  You mentioned you went to University, previously so I'm sure you'd have lots of amusing anectodes of the many pointless things your lectuers did if we sat down and had a chat...And we've all heard of how Chef Publius; initially recurited as a coal carrier / labour at the Mount Lavinia Hotel, went onto become one of Sri Lanka's most celebrated chefs drawing a thumping salary anyone would be happy to have!  He did all that without even an O/L qualification; so really having a Phd  or a University degree doesn't really mean you're 'smart' nor is it an idicator of success...

Again: I don't seek to take sides nor am I under the misconception that my opinion matters in anyway....

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of boasting...besides if we can't boast abit about our cars  or admire what each other is doing with their cars on autolanka, what's the point! 

Also its hard to define 'smart' :  I know you mentioned you went to University so I'm sure you'd have lots of amusing anectodes of the many pointless things your lectuers do. And we've all heard of how Chef Publius; initially recurited as a coal carrier / labour at the Mount Lavinia Hotel went onto become Sri Lanka's most celebrated chef drawing a thumping salary anyone would be happy to have!  He did all that without even an O/L' qualification; so really having a Phd  or a University degree doesn't really mean you're smart nor is it an idicator of success...

Agreed...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sylvi said:

Devinda_Z,

Dear Mr. Devinda_Z,

WILL WRITE A DETAIL EXPLANATION WHAT I REMEMBER IN THAT DARK ERA, AUTOMOBILES AND INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE.

During that time (1962 to 1977) I was just 19 years old, when import restrictions came in. For about one year all spares were available in the country, to replace and use the vehicles as well as heavy industrial units. Limited amount of spares were allowed to import only for registered importers who had early import the items. With the the foreign exchange what was available at that time in the country.

All our traditional plantation produce exports like Tea, rubber, Coconut was encouraged with CRA. Convertible Rupee Account was the name for that Account in the banks. That was a limited (percentage) amount of exchange were allowed, for the amount of the export earned from the export.

Non traditional exports like Gems, Cinnamon, and few others were given a very high percentage of foreign exchange what they earned from the exports, to import according to the amount of the export.  Maximum amount was given to Gems 25%. That amount was free of any taxes, if the import was for your use. You are allowed to import was for your requirement.

All big time exporters ( I will not mention their names) made plenty of money by selling their  CRA money what the had earned from exports. The amounts in their CRA accounts, by selling to second party.

Motor cars were allowed to import for own use,any one who has CRA. Directors of companies, Partners of small exporters were given permits to import cars and what ever they want for their requirements. CRA was sold for 125% of the cost of money, what the item costs. If the cost (CIF) is 1 Rupee have to pay 1 Rupee + another 1.25 rupees to the CRA holder. Import comes to the CRA holders name. Final importers, CRA cost becomes cost + another 125%. Then the seller sells at any price he wishes depending on the market.

I will write about cars  because this Auto Lanka is a Automobile forum. Cost of a used car any age usable( no age limit) (Austin, Morris, VW, MB, Fiat,Ford,) will be (CIF) around Rupees with taxes under Rupees 20000/00. Open market all used cars were sold for having Rupees 50000/00 Profit. Car was costing around Rupees 75000/00. to Sri Lanka. New car of any of those models were above Rupees 100000/00.

To maintain automobiles and other industrial units our maintainers  had to do plenty of modifications. Mostly E U cars spares were reconditioned. Few Lathe shops did rebuilding like original spare, that was not noticeable cost was about 50 to 75% of the new unit which was not available to buy. Gave same amount or more usable time. Ball joints were rebuild plenty of modifications were done to spares, UK spares were fitted to E U vehicles after modifying. Entire vehicles were reconditioned including inside of automobiles were changed according to the wishes of the owner. Alternators for Dynamo's  came just after import restrictions were imposed to our country. Most workshops changed them to Dynamo's. Few Technicians knew the advantage of Alternators. Few years later all got used to Alternators because the spares were available in the market.

Plenty of new spare part reconditioning work shops were set up in all parts of the country.I will write list of automobile re-conditioners.

(LATHE & MILLING MACHINE SHOPS, WASTED PART BUILDERS  ENGINE RE-BUILDERS, TINKERS, PAINTERS, ELECTRICAL REPAIRERS, RUBBER BUSH MOLDERS.)

I had to write few top paras to explain that dark era, because most of our younger generation do not know the difficulties Sri Lanka under went in that time.

If any member like to know any more of that era and new model vehicles were were imported with developed technology please do request will write what I know and remember.

I Did have CRA with bought Invoices of exporters who had export orders, were exported in my name got two Vehicles and all spares what ever I wanted for my work shop use. I do not do any thing what I did early at present. Living a retired life waiting for the final call on my 76+, (76 years  3 months  17 days) of contended happy past life. 

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Thank you for your detailed response as always.

Many of us appreciate the knowledge and anecdotes you share about the past.

I for one learned something new today from you regarding the mechanics of the CRA accounts worked in relation to the import of cars so I for one am very grateful for the time and effort you take to post here.

Looking forward to hearing more motoring stories from the years gone by.

I hope things don't revert back to that era with the limitations we may all have to face for the benefit of keeping the rupee stable (which has clawed back Vs. the $ right now) 

@Ted's point on another thread is also valid here that new cars have components that can't be repaired and must only be replaced in full. The concept of planned obsolescence which in fact has been under fire from many quarters has had recent legislation challenging it under the "right to repair" framework (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49884827)

If the same is applied to cars perhaps we may see an era where car parts can be repaired instead of replaced which will also give rise to the many industries Mr @Sylvi Wijesinghe mentioned were active back in the day to meet the need then.

The problem as @Ted might be able to share insights on as a tech professional is how local technicians can rise to the challenge of being able to handle the repairs of complex electronics.

I'm sure the skill set is there given that there are factories which produce mechatronic components locally for export - the question will be if we as a country are ready right now to manage. 

Anyhow hopefully all of this will only be for a few months ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Thank you for your detailed response as always.

Many of us appreciate the knowledge and anecdotes you share about the past.

I for one learned something new today from you regarding the mechanics of the CRA accounts worked in relation to the import of cars so I for one am very grateful for the time and effort you take to post here.

Looking forward to hearing more motoring stories from the years gone by.

I hope things don't revert back to that era with the limitations we may all have to face for the benefit of keeping the rupee stable (which has clawed back Vs. the $ right now) 

@Ted's point on another thread is also valid here that new cars have components that can't be repaired and must only be replaced in full. The concept of planned obsolescence which in fact has been under fire from many quarters has had recent legislation challenging it under the "right to repair" framework (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49884827)

If the same is applied to cars perhaps we may see an era where car parts can be repaired instead of replaced which will also give rise to the many industries Mr @Sylvi Wijesinghe mentioned were active back in the day to meet the need then.

The problem as @Ted might be able to share insights on as a tech professional is how local technicians can rise to the challenge of being able to handle the repairs of complex electronics.

I'm sure the skill set is there given that there are factories which produce mechatronic components locally for export - the question will be if we as a country are ready right now to manage. 

Anyhow hopefully all of this will only be for a few months ?

Dear Mr. Devinda_Z,

My memory is still good, with good old mechanical era. Electric helped to go forward and become Electronic era.

Thanks for your reply post. I did read that @Ted(https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49884827) on to a different thread, was in practice during the past, about 40 years ago. Repairing what ever repairable.

( THERE WAS A SAY REPAIR FIRST IF IT IS NOT SATISFACTORY THEN REPLACE)

During that era most things were mechanically automated. I bought a washing machine new in Singapore in 1979 Mitsubishi for Sing dollars which cost was Lankan Rupees including freight for Rs.8000/=. Duty and clearing was about Rs. 1500/=. which lasted for 5 years without any repairs. then that time there was no electronic controllers (Programmer unit) like on the new washing machines today. That machine had a very complex mechanically controlled operated with a very small electric motor. Only few contact were cleaned and the machine worked for three more years total life that machine ,I used was 10 years. Later control motor gave problems had to operate that machine totally manually. Later I bought a new machine in Sri Lanka which had a electronic controller sealed unit that lasted only for 30 months. Replacement was imported lasted few years. Today washing machines last longer more than 5 ears, only replacement is the electronic controller which cost about Rupees 3000/=.

Today in automobiles the electronic controller units give trouble after about 5 years, have to use a Scanner to find the fault. At present one of my workers car 4 1/2 years old, unable to start waiting till the Curfew is lifted to take same to a person who has a scanner to find the fault.

Few months back another friend of mine was driving down from Haputale his vehicle stopped suddenly on the way, had to hire a car send his daughter and and three others to Colombo. By a another vehicle, later his vehicle was towed down to Colombo, Agents replaced new part which cost him Rupees 35000/00. Time taken at agents was only two hours.

I remember attending to industrial units (Electronic controllers) which came in 1980 early part, some of them were repairable with changing few components after going through on those electronic circuit boards. Today every circuit board is sealed with Epoxy, they need to be changed with new ones, to find the correct board is the experience and testing apparatus the repairers should have.

To become a good repairer person, will have to do repairs daily and read lot to know the developments in modern control units.

I am not boasting , my specialty was mostly Electrical controlled units in automobiles and heavy industrial Machinery of 1950 on words to 1980 end part which was replaced by modern electronic controllers. If any one examines a Odometer they were cable controlled, VOLTAGE CONTROLLER OF A NEW AUTOMOBILE IS IN BUILT INSIDE THE ALTERNATOR TO CHARGE THE BATTERY.

Old cars had dynamo to charge the battery they all had Cut Out regulator separately fitted on the car.That unit was totally control on magnetic principle with spring loaded point which is magnetized by a coil. 

All meters today are electronically controlled.

Good old days had most controllers worked on magnetic principle.Electrically magnetized. Most of them depended on spring load for the units requirement.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, Ted said:

Try to be at least sensitive to that gentleman's age. Have some respect at least for those who do not harm u.. 

Ted,

Thank you for your post, What is the meaning of my informing the age when the import restrictions were declared during the dark era, was to inform that I was a teenager.(During that time (1962 to 1977) I was just 19 years old, when import restrictions came in)

To a certain extend you have a point.( during that time) The meaning can be the entire time. You are correct if any one think to that angle.

I started my life as a child at first Montessori school in Ceylon, The owner was Miss Leena Wickramarathne. She later migrated to USA. Lived her entire life in Minnesota. Just before she passed away I managed to meet her in USA Minnesota.

Next School was St Peter's College Bambalapitiya. We had all communities in St Peters including Maldivian students. There we all had a very good English formal education.

I remember very well all students were thought how to address a person. If I meet unknown senior to my self before I talk to him I inform my name and request from him or hers name Addressing him May I know your name Sir or Lady/Madam. Then we request one more question, his or hers profession. To address him or her correctly. For the simple reason if that person is a Doctor or a Professor have to address mannerly.

If from young teenagers we were told request their name and address them as they prefer Boy Master Girl miss.

In Srilanka we get mostly people calling uncle and aunt. Which is very incorrect. Even Law enforcement officers used to call general public Uncle and aunt. I reported few Police and armed forces men who called me uncle.

Once on a road block at Wellawathe police officer (PC) called me uncle, argument went to very high level officers went over their Communication set to duty officer. He informed Wellawathe police station the station send two officers they requested me to come with them to go Wellawatha police station. Police officer who came from the said station. In front of the OIC I explain the matter. He listened me and told that police officer to return my vehicle and release me. later I made a police entry to the incident on the instructions of DIG traffic at Wellawatha police station then they returned my Driving license. I still have some correspondence to that incident. This incident was during the year 2005  Ethnic war time.

The top Police officers who had instructed all stations officers to call general public in honorable way, because to junior officers who come from village schools did not get enough training during that time.

I never call unknown people with any relationships, all ways respect fully address them.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Edited by Sylvi
Edit for spelling mistakes.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Davy said:

I'm guessing it was imported from Australia. They were apparently used by tradies extensively back in the day to haul their equipment, just like they use utes and trucks today. Hence the lack of windows (i.e "panel van").

Interesting indeed to see one in Sri Lanka. Looks to be in good nick too! :) 

As for the number, I guess it's registered as a light lorry. 33 and 34 Sri were used for light lorries. The most famous of them being the Mitsubishi Delica T120 which is technically a van, but registered in the light lorry category. 

7 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Holdens made their way to Sri Lanka for the non-aligned conference that was held during Mrs. B's reign in the 70s. This car may have come to SL just past that when Holdens became a bit popular. This doesn't appear to be a 60's number.  I've seen late 70s Japanese vans with numbers older than this. Unlike now, importing cars needed a permit those days but there was no age limit for used imports from what I know. @Sylvi might have an idea about this model.

This might not have been a hearse due to lack of any windows. Hearses would have got single digit Sri numbers those days.

What I'd love to know is whether it had an auto gearbox. Aussies were among early adopters of auto boxes. The ad says transmission is automatic!

For that price, I'd actually buy that car in a heartbeat if I was in SL and had the parking space.

These little insights into SL's automotive history are almost as fun as playing the Triva game itself! 

Mr. @Sylvi would you know anything more about the car model being discussed? Its very unique, not only due to its body panel design and rarity, its automatic transmission, but also because it was manufactured in Australia.

Other members comments are as quote above. I don't know much about it, but its a very interesting car as noted above for many reasons. 

Its a 1966 Holden HR type commercial panel van based on the Holden HR model range of cars and some pictures are as below: 

holdenhr.jpg.eb36c6b040eaf9f58b037ce73a4

abcd.jpg.55ca6899911f75e7b368fcf31a0e053

Edited by Kavvz

holden-hz-statesman-1896.jpg

Wow! That's a very nice looking car! Interesting that a Holden show room and dealership was opened up at the same time the Australian government donated all these cars: A very stategic move, and its too bad the cars didn't catch on and create a demand for Holden Cars. They are very popular in Australia I believe..

Thank you for the additional info Mr. @Sylvi its always nice to hear about these little gems of our Automotive history! 

Edited by Kavvz

Members,

All Opel cars came to Ceylon during that era had 6 Volts system, only later years they were installed by the manufactor with 12 volts. Most of German cars had similar Dynamos. Only VW had a long shaft dynamo, to drive the cooling fan fitted to dynamo one end. Later  1970 some VW owners did not sanctify with head light power to drive in the night. Out of Colombo which was not lighted well like now days.

M/s. Bogala Motors which was existing at that time in Fort close to old clock tower left hand side oppesite of Bover's building, until the Central Bank development project started, imported German "HELLA" Head lamp high powered sealed beams 6Volts. That was a conversion kit did not hit the market.

I converted few cars VW , Opel, Skoda, Bogward Renault to 12 volts, Some with 12 Volts complete Dynamos of UK made (lucas).

VW had to change the Dynamo field coils winding also new dynamo Armature winding. To give 12 Volts high Amperage.  VW  dynamo turns at very high  RPM to cool the engine. With a very large pulley on crank shaft end, therefore slow generating was never a problem.

Some other cars had the slow driving on top gear at very slow speeds, lights used to get dim due to dynamo did not compensate the draw of current during night driving. Mainly due to some motorists did not drive vehicles at recommended gears on low speed therefore the generators did not give high amperage. Alternators did very well for this problem.

Few years back I had experienced a long wheel base, 4DR5 engine Jeep had this problem. The owner had spend few thousands to convert to duel A/C New complete system, double insulated soft rear hood so that day heat will not come in, same problem when he drives at slow speeds Alternator was not charging enough in the night.

I do not do any electrical repairs now days due to my present service in Automobiles. I corrected his problem with minimal cost. Most of my old friends want me to commence Electrical repairs again.

Some what I have mentioned are not relevant to the topic, but it is very important to younger generation motorists to know the past era what our motorist faced.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Croswind,

My belated reply was due to pressure of my personal work involved in lands in outscores of Colombo. Our late first lady prime Minister in the world was Mrs,B. Her first team 1962 she had to implement the import ban due to the country's financial situation of our blessed, country (at preset most third world and developing countries are facing with.) Cost of all imported goods went up in selling cost. Motor vehicles was the most costliest imported item. Holden s had a bigger vehicle in all aspects, than any other motor vehicle made in UK and Europe, Japanese vehicle were very few in our country,

Auto boxes first appeared in American vehicles, no vehicle user wanted them due to lac of knowledge.All UK made Double Decker buses had pre selected Gear boxes.

All used Vehicles came to Sri Lanka.  Crosswind's statement is correct, there was no age limit also had a very reasonable depreciation allowed to agent's value calculated according. Very few vehicles were used vehicles.

Auto boxes to my knowledge first adopted by Americans in their Chrysler 6 Cylinder cars.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

Members,

I Received this by Email

Electric Nissan Ariya SUV unveiled

Jul 15, 2020

Nissan Ariya low down
  • The Nissan Ariya is a similar size to the Qashqai and X-Trail, and promises up to 310 miles of range

• 0-62mph in just 5.1 second
  • • Two- and four-wheel drive models due
  • • Semi-autonomous tech to be fitted

The Nissan Ariya electric SUV has been officially revealed, with the car’s styling almost unchanged from the original concept car. Prices, full specs and a release date are yet to be announced but the Japanese company has confirmed some of the car’s performance details.

The Ariya is a five-seat electric SUV that’s similar in size to the Nissan Qashqai and Nissan X-Trail but has a much bolder look. The car is likely to go on sale in 2021, when it will rival the Skoda Enyaq, Volkswagen ID.4, Hyundai 45 and the Cupra Tavascan.

What else can you look forward to in 2021?

2021 Nissan Ariya SUV styling

Image 7 of 32

Nissan Ariya front end

Nissan first revealed the Ariya concept at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show and it appears that many of the striking styling touches will make it to production. At the front, a large closed-off grille will be flanked by sharp LED daytime running lights, while the headlights also incorporate LED technology. The car gets a subtle front spoiler and plastic body cladding, with the latter designed to make the car look more rugged.

The swooping roofline leads to a full-width LED light bar at the rear of the car. As it’s electric, the Ariya doesn’t have any exhaust pipes, giving the rear bumper a clean look. You get 19-inch alloy wheels as standard and 20-inch versions will be offered on high-spec trim levels.

Interior and practicality

Image 11 of 32

Nissan Ariya steering wheel

Nissan X-Trail SUV 2018 – can it compete with the Skoda Kodiaq?

• video playing

Nissan X-Trail SUV 2018 – can it compete with the Skoda Kodiaq? – Carbuyer
  •  
    2018 Nissan Qashqai SUV review - James...
    2018 Nissan Qashqai SUV review - James Batchelor - Carbuyer
  •  
    Nissan X-Trail SUV 2014 review - Carbuyer
    Nissan X-Trail SUV 2014 review - Carbuyer
  •  
    Nissan X-Trail SUV (2007-2014) review -...
    Nissan X-Trail SUV (2007-2014) review - CarBuyer
  •  
    Range Rover SUV 2019 in-depth review - Carbuyer
    Range Rover SUV 2019 in-depth review - Carbuyer
  •  

Inside, the Ariya has a striking minimalist design with two large 12.3-inch screens; one showing driving information and one controlling the infotainment and sat nav functions. It’s a similar setup to the Mercedes A-Class and the new Volkswagen Golf. Nissan has even kept the concept’s integrated touch panels that replace physical buttons, while the Ariya has copper-coloured detailing (to resemble a dawn sky) rather than the eco-signalling blue details on the Nissan Leaf.

You get a large colour head-up display, keyless entry with saved driver profiles and a voice assistant that can perform functions like selecting a playlist and changing the air con temperature. An accompanying phone app can be used to preset the climate control before getting in the car, check the battery status and be notified of the best time to start your journey.

Nissan Ariya screens

The Ariya is a similar size to the Nissan X-Trail, which comes with the option of seven seats, but has a much longer wheelbase than the X-Tr

l. Combined with the lack of engine and exhaust system, this means the Ariya has huge amounts of interior space. There’s a flat floor in the rear, while the boot offers 466 litres (408 for four-wheel drive models). Not many EVs are suitable for towing but the Ariya manages up to 1,500kg.

Performance

Ariya buyers will get the choice of 65kWh and 90kWh (with usable capacities of 63kWh and 87kWh batteries respectively) and a decision between two- and “e-4orce” four-wheel drive. With two-wheel drive, the models come with 214 or 239bhp respectively, and both hit 0-62mph in around 7.5 seconds.

Nissan Ariya side view

All three four-wheel-drive models (65kWh, 90kWh and a 90kWh Performance version) offer plenty of power and quick acceleration; 65kWh models have 274bhp and a 5.9-second 0-62mph time, 90kWh models boast 302bhp and a slightly quicker sprint, and Performance models get 388bhp and a rapid 0-62mph time of 5.1 seconds. Two-wheel-drive models manage 99mph, and four-wheel-drive ones can reach 124mph.

Four-wheel-drive versions add a ‘snow’ driving mode to the eco, sport and normal selection, and Nissan says the system offers ultra-precise motor and brake control in slippery conditions.

Range and charging

Even the four-wheel drive 65kWh version manages 211 miles of range but the long-distance champion is the 90kWh battery with two-wheel drive. In this specification, you can expect 310 miles on a full charge. This drops to 285 miles with four-wheel drive, and 248 miles for the Performance variant.

Versions with the smaller battery can charge at 7.4kW home or public chargers, while 90kWh models also get a 22kW three-phase home charger. Fast charging at up to 130kW is available at motorway service stations and other locations.

Image 28 of 32

Nissan Ariya rear end detail

Nissan has been enhancing its ProPilot driver assistance systems in recent years, and the Ariya features this semi-autonomous technology that can keep you in your lane and follow the car in front at a safe distance. Other safety features include front and rear automatic braking and a surround-view monitor.

The Ariya will sit on a new platform designed by the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance, and this may also underpin an electric Renault SUV thought to be in development.

THERE ARE FEW MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE. I DID NOT GET ALL ACCORDING TO THE ORIGINAL POST.

HOPE MEMBERS GOT THE INFORMATION TO A CERTAIN EXTEND.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Members,

I like to suggest that any member who can send historical name boards still existing relevant to Automobile driving. send to AL so that will be left in this Magazine for many long years for new members to read and they are still existing.

I thought of this was, resonantly one person informed me that the road directions board picture what I have in one of my very old picture collection is not there any more.

I posted a picture of Ceylon Tram ways halting stop, few years ago was existing on a very busy road side in Colombo.  This very old cast iron post with the stop board, which was taken off by a person who build a building on that spot, had promised to reinstall  the same board to one of AL member, I find that is more than five years, still not fulfilled.

If that member reads this post I hope he will make request, from that person who is responsible for that unlawful removal  of historically important symbol from public road.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.