• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reflections On Sri Lanka's Automotive History By Mr. Sylvi Wijesinghe

Supra_Natural

Used recon bus cost any thing 125000/= to 185000/=. Cheapest was MAZDA bus they cost me, any thing 100000/= Rupees to 125000/=.

I imported 14 of Mazda buses and sold them with a small profit of 25000/=.

25000 those days is far from a small profit. It's like importing a car for 5 million and selling for 6 million! I don't think any car importer nowadays makes a million profit from just one vehicle.

25000 those days is far from a small profit. It's like importing a car for 5 million and selling for 6 million! I don't think any car importer nowadays makes a million profit from just one vehicle.

'Crosswind',

That post by mistake I have not given the correct figure. It is a big mistake of my part, it should read as Rupees 25000/= not 250000 /= can import two buses with that cost.I have typed by mistake extra 0 on that bus selling profit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 2 months later...

Members,

Today Sunday Times PLUS gives a picture of a RAILTON Car which owned by late V.M.DE. Mel lived on Fowler road. Straight eight Cylinder.

This car had a hand made LUCAS Dynamo. I do not know this is still there or not. I think only car existing in Sri Lanka.

When Mr. De Mel lived My late father, later I used to maintain Electrical units of the said car. Also the INVICTA car which first he had.

Mr. Victor De Mel, owned the first INVICTA car which he did import and the car featured on that page was imported by him. All were personal imports.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 4 weeks later...
Many thanks for valuable information. Do you have any price idea of them?

Regarding automatic transmission, I think it became popular here in end of 80s.

There is a nice story.

I remember there were some Isuzu buses with Automatic transmission in CTB in late 80s. But very limited drivers knew how to drive A/T vehicles (Now a days even children know it). In 1989 riot period, when JVP guys burn CTB buses , no CTB driver (capable to drive A/T) was there at the depot (as I remember Ratmalana CTB Depot, correct me if I am wrong) to rescue the buses due to curfew . However one volunteer passenger took the responsibility to deliver all buses (A/T) to a safe place. He had never driven A/T earlier, but he was much interested in automobile subject and he had been always traveled standing near to driver and understood how to drive A/T. This person could save more than 10 buses and it reported on newspapers too. Later CTB converted those A/T buses to Manual transmission after A/T systems expired.

Thanks for the information Bro.

SLTB ISUZU ECR 500 Buses with 6BD1R engine with automatic transmission in 1980s.

(These Buses were imported to SLTB in 1986-1987 period. 120 buses were imported.)

isuzuecr500sltbctbbusfr.jpg

Original Link:

http://sltbbus.blogspot.com/2013/01/sltb-isuzu-ecr-500-buses.html

(Hope this is not violate any forum rules)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

SLTB ISUZU ECR 500 Buses with 6BD1R engine with automatic transmission in 1980s.

(These Buses were imported to SLTB in 1986-1987 period. 120 buses were imported.)

Original Link:

Auto bus as they were called those days. Sadly not many are are running nowadays, except for about two that I see daily (Mattakkuliya Depot and a Private Bus). They were a sight for the eyes that had only seen the red CTB buses, and way comfortable as well. Thanks for the post Sampath.

Original Link:

I remember them being very comfortable and the engines smooth and the noise soothing unlike Ashok Leyland's. Loved travelling in those.

• 3 weeks later...

Members,

"MasterDons" valuable post he states. How Body kits are manufactured explained clearly with different materials for particular use.

For members who write without knowing the facts. Some of our members who take a member’s reply as a joke and and post negative posts.

Member Mr.Kaws do not miss understand me, I do not want to hurt any member by posting unwanted posts and jokes

I do write to this A/L forum because I lived from automobile industry and to share my knowledge. I agree I am expensive but, served in this industry for twenty years.

If my charges are expensive motorists cannot effort, not up to the standard finished jobs. I had to close down this service long time ago.

Few others who came to compete with me have gone off business. Due to their work was not up to the quality.

My motto is to serve to automobile users in my country. In USA my service motto is repair fir

During my young technical carrier days (1962 to 1978) Sri lanka did not have parts to replace, had to repair everything. I have mentioned this early.

I checked up with Mr.Dumi##a yesterday. They do fiber glass and two other materials’ they use the cheapest is fiber glass body kit.

“MasterDons” post what he writes is the most expensive that they do for special racing vehicles. If Request only.

My customer whom I mentioned was famous “Danuvam Mudalali” Money lender and deposit receiver, down south Hungama. Who was killed later.

He was one time fisherman build an empire and helped plenty of needy poor.

He owned number of high end expensive motor vehicles. His last ambition was to own a RHD Hummer.

I will post on to a different thread about first person to do a fiber glass body kit, for an automobile in Ceylon.

I too had done a small part on that project in 1960s. The person who did that is still living a very successful entrepreneur today; plenty of others had followed him.

Joint Moderator has requested. So I have to post about automobile history to that.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 1 month later...

Members,

I refer to my last post regarding Fiber glass Automobile, first to fabricate in Ceylon was Mr. Neil Fernando who is the owner of Neel Marine.

http://www.neilmarine.com/

He started life, after completing his studies at St Peter's College, immediately with M/s. Walker sons at Colombo harber fiber glass boat building yard. Which is no more today.

His creation was Austin mini Automobile. Later government permitted to register same. It is still with him in his work shop.

Late Mr. Don Amarasiri, Motor car racer, was the first person to do other than fiber glass body work.

Plastic Welding, Carbon fiber.The most expensive light weight body for racing cars.

Late Mr. Don Amarasiri, had branch in Singapore, with our Ceylonese skilled technicians.

I AM NOT ADVERTISING THIS Dumi##a INTERNATIONAL ON THIS FORUM.

At present Late Mr. Don Amarasiri's, entire family. Dumi##a and other members do in a very large scale. Exporting body parts to other countries.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 7 months later...
Members,

I here with post what I promised the Colombo Tram ways one and only last memorable Tram car stop board I did not have my Digital Cam so I took it from my Telephone camera.

Once I get my cam from my daughter I will post a better quality picture.

ojd0.jpg

Mr.Silvy,

Many thanks for informing me the removal of the tram car board due to new constructions of the temple.

Today I visited this temple (Shakyasingharamaya, Colombo 14) and checked the matter with bhikku-in-charge, well known person to me. As per the thero, it is with him and he will fix and display it sooner in proper way at the temple. Few people have requested this board from thero but he had been refused it. Let’s wait and see....

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 3

Since we're on the subject,,,Most of the solid rock bricks,upon which the Colombo tram car line was laid,ended up at my place.My father bought the lot at a auction in the 80's when the RDA was removing them.I hear the other brick lot is with the then finance minister RW....They now adorn my front verandah and car port,The 2CV,TC and TR are parked on them so you could say they're still serving a noble cause... :)

zj4zzLj.jpg

• Like 5

Since we're on the subject,,,Most of the solid rock bricks,upon which the Colombo tram car line was laid,ended up at my place.My father bought the lot at a auction in the 80's when the RDA was removing them.I hear the other brick lot is with the then finance minister RW....They now adorn my front verandah and car port,The 2CV,TC and TR are parked on them so you could say they're still serving a noble cause... :)

zj4zzLj.jpg

Wow, that is great MD.

Just imagine, if this solid bricks can speak.................. :)

• Like 1

ojd0.jpg

Mr.Silvy,

Many thanks for informing me the removal of the tram car board due to new constructions of the temple.

Today I visited this temple (Shakyasingharamaya, Colombo 14) and checked the matter with bhikku-in-charge, well known person to me. As per the thero, it is with him and he will fix and display it sooner in proper way at the temple. Few people have requested this board from thero but he had been refused it. Let’s wait and see....

Mr.Sampath Gunasekera

Thanks for good information.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 2 weeks later...

Members,

Reply to cefero A33s, and my comments,for the post by member.

First of All thank you for your reply about Professionals in our blessed country.

Your last post. You have given the correct answer to that post. Made by a member.

No one can question Professionals charges, they do study hard and become genius in their field.

I Remember our different field genius Sri Lankans who has gone to their eternal rest. I post and their names of few of them.

Late Dr. P.R. Anthonis surgeon was a leader in surgical operations for thousands in Sri lanka

Late Mr. RAAMPALA was an engineering field. His era was called the Golden time of our railways.

Late “Deshabandu” Dr.A.N.S. Kulasinghe. Pre-stressed concrete originated in Ceylon.

I do not want to mention many more names.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I realized later I HAVE POSTED TO WRONG THREAD.

Edited by Sylvi

I remember them being very comfortable and the engines smooth and the noise soothing unlike Ashok Leyland's. Loved travelling in those.

Ahhh...the good ones. I can remember travelling to Jaffna in one of those babies in 1989. If I am not mistaken there were actually two models of those. One a rear engined bus with a mesh where you could actually see the engine, which was pretty loud if you sat on the back, and the later ones front engined and much smoother. Also I can remeber a set of Isuzu's having the 29 Sri series regn which were front engined , aluminum body and i had the feeling that those were coach built in SL.Later i think Wesco did a series of coaches for these magnificient isuzu chassis which were actualy run as the semi luxury and as super luxury air conditioned SLTB buses (62- & 63- series).

Mr. Wijesinghe pls correct me on the above if i have specified any wrong facts.

I can remember the semi luxury isuzu which operated from Ja-ela to Moratuwa straight. Used to get in to that after classes at the those days popular Shakthi inst. in Bamba..

Those were the good times ...awaiting this bus with my then sweetheart :) and enjoying the uninterrupted ambience until Ja ela.

Edited by Warlord

So many memories at shakthi eh? Don't wanna go too OT but will add these: I'm sure most guys can relate

1. First time to beat up a royalist. He's my superior now. :S

2. First time to (almost) get beaten up by a girl's jealous boyfriend

3. Helped a friend chase a hopeless tail. She's still my friend tho!

Sorry for the sylvi-esque meander. Won't happen again.

So many memories at shakthi eh? Don't wanna go too OT but will add these: I'm sure most guys can relate

1. First time to beat up a royalist. He's my superior now. :S

2. First time to (almost) get beaten up by a girl's jealous boyfriend

3. Helped a friend chase a hopeless tail. She's still my friend tho!

Sorry for the sylvi-esque meander. Won't happen again.

Thats alright, meandering on THIS thread is not only tolerated but actively ENCOURAGED!

Now if only the person it was opened for would stick to it rather then polluting other ones...

Ahhh...the good ones. I can remember travelling to Jaffna in one of those babies in 1989. If I am not mistaken there were actually two models of those. One a rear engined bus with a mesh where you could actually see the engine, which was pretty loud if you sat on the back, and the later ones front engined and much smoother. Also I can remeber a set of Isuzu's having the 29 Sri series regn which were front engined , aluminum body and i had the feeling that those were coach built in SL.Later i think Wesco did a series of coaches for these magnificient isuzu chassis which were actualy run as the semi luxury and as super luxury air conditioned SLTB buses (62- & 63- series).

I can remember the semi luxury isuzu which operated from Ja-ela to Moratuwa straight. Used to get in to that after classes at the those days popular Shakthi inst. in Bamba..

Those were the good times ...awaiting this bus with my then sweetheart :) and enjoying the uninterrupted ambience until Ja ela.

Warlord,

Wesco was originally SLTB they had buses of following makes.

62-, AG, bus, Duple Metsec, ISUZU, Sri Lanka Transport Board, Wesco.

I was trying to contact former legal officer CTB from the inception, retired now could not contact her.

Try to give some more information later. Once I gave some information from her to A/L.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I think CTB used only those Isuzus on the long distance runs like Jaffna to Colombo and apparently they used to overtake the other so called luxuary buses on the same route which left much earlier

Members,

This post is not related to Automobiles. It is about food stores history.

Whenever I travel on Marine drive this comes to my mind. I must post this to A/L.

About food stores in Colombo. Near Dehiwala bridge Colombo side.

Adjoining Railway line, Marine drive there were government build Food stores. During the 2nd WW.

My memory goes back to 1950s. I remember all food was carried by Lorries to that food stores.

Today that stores complex. No more a food is stored there,converted to some other government departmental requarements.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 4

Members,

Whenever I travel on Marine drive this comes to my mind. I must post this to A/L.

Adjoining Railway line, Marine drive there were government build Food stores. During the 2nd WW.

My memory goes back to 1950s. I remember all food was carried by Lorries to that food stores.

Today that stores complex. No more a food is stored there,converted to some other government departmental requarements.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Are these the structures you see along the new extension of the Marine Drive? (upto Wasula Road) I was curious to know what they were, thanks!

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I'm curious as to the logic behind setting up the food stores. Do you know by any chance why a central food store was set up during the war Sylvi? (Would it not have been more strategic to setup a distributed food storage system / infrastructure incase of contamination or accidental / intentional bombing etc ? )

Edited by Kavvz