• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Battery Issue.

Dhanushkapg

Question

Dear Experts,

i have nissan FB15 car. In 2010 i changed by battery to Amaron Sealed type one. ( 18 months warranty ). Then htwo months before 18 months suddenly car not start, Then i clam warranty and attach new Amaron Battery to Car in 2011 ( 18 months warranty ) .Then after yesterday my car not start again withing warranty period.

According to my point of view , My car is not heavily running and almost it running once or twice a month. According to my memory it not start since 3 or 4 weeks yet.

So i like to know , how frequently car should be start if it parked at home. What are the battery caring tips to protect battery in maximum duration ?

Your answers are valuable

I think you should start at least once a week, but just starting may not help as I was told once, running few kms would help to charge the battery to a optimum level which would definitely increse the battery life.

Dear Experts,

i have nissan FB15 car. In 2010 i changed by battery to Amaron Sealed type one. ( 18 months warranty ). Then htwo months before 18 months suddenly car not start, Then i clam warranty and attach new Amaron Battery to Car in 2011 ( 18 months warranty ) .Then after yesterday my car not start again withing warranty period.

According to my point of view , My car is not heavily running and almost it running once or twice a month. According to my memory it not start since 3 or 4 weeks yet.

So i like to know , how frequently car should be start if it parked at home. What are the battery caring tips to protect battery in maximum duration ?

'Dhanushkapg',

Get a small battery charger 3 Amperes DC and connect to the battery when you do not use your car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Dhanushkapg',

Get a small battery charger 3 Amperes DC and connect to the battery when you do not use your car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi Thanks for reply.

Plz inform where i can find such battery chargers.

I like to know what are the tips behind better battery life?

Currently i am using Amaron Seal type battery ,What are the battery type or model better. ?

what are the best battery with long life ?

What are the best battery care tips ?

'Dhanushkapg',

Most of the imported maintenance free batteries are good if they are bad they cannot sell in srilanka market, few importers I personally know who imported batteries did stop importing batteries due to manufactures defects.

There is another important thing to consider that is the condition of the charging system of the car alternator will have to be in good condition.

Earthing of the battery will have to be done properly most batteries are earthed to the body by manufactures.

All vehicles I use a separate earth from the battery terminal to engine heavy gauge copper wire with two ends of the wire soldered with terminals.

Once month I test the voltage of the battery before starting the engine and after starting the engine. Voltage should not go more than 14.5 in 5 minute of running the engine.

Lead acid batteries you have to check battery water level every 30 days and the SG using a Hydrometer.and the voltage too. that also should be 14.5 Volts DC. Lead acid batteries normally last about 24 months. If you have a small battery charger after 12 months of the life of new battery then you will be able to extend battery life by 25% of the recommended time.

If any more information you want you post to A/L.

Sylvi Wijesinhe.

Specially since your usage is so infrequent and you havent started the car in 3-4 weeks the next battery you buy should be a normal battery. Thats because even if a normal battery discharges completely you can charge is up again, but with maintenance free batteries if it drains out completely it cant be brought back to its original state (of holding a charge).

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the chemistry behind this..

Just to add my two cents, if you get yourself an good old Sri Lankan made Exide battery, you can get a free emergency assistance from Exide's Battmobile service if you are around Colombo. On top of it, I've never had any issues with Exide batteries even if they are 2-3 years of age. Not marketing Exide here.

I have used 12V Amara Raja (Amaron) lead-acid battery banks in a another industry. They were terrible to say the least.

Edited by Crosswind

Just to add my two cents, if you get yourself an good old Sri Lankan made Exide battery, you can get a free emergency assistance from Exide's Battmobile service if you are around Colombo. On top of it, I've never had any issues with Exide batteries even if they are 2-3 years of age. Not marketing Exide here.

I second that. I've been using Exide ever since I bought my 1st car. Only time I had a battery problem is with my current exide battery which was a little low on battery acid and had a little trouble starting in the morning. took the car to br*wns battery joint, they filled it with acid, since then its running like a charm.

'Dhanushkapg',

Most of the imported maintenance free batteries are good if they are bad they cannot sell in srilanka market, few importers I personally know who imported batteries did stop importing batteries due to manufactures defects.

There is another important thing to consider that is the condition of the charging system of the car alternator will have to be in good condition.

Earthing of the battery will have to be done properly most batteries are earthed to the body by manufactures.

All vehicles I use a separate earth from the battery terminal to engine heavy gauge copper wire with two ends of the wire soldered with terminals.

Once month I test the voltage of the battery before starting the engine and after starting the engine. Voltage should not go more than 14.5 in 5 minute of running the engine.

Lead acid batteries you have to check battery water level every 30 days and the SG using a Hydrometer.and the voltage too. that also should be 14.5 Volts DC. Lead acid batteries normally last about 24 months. If you have a small battery charger after 12 months of the life of new battery then you will be able to extend battery life by 25% of the recommended time.

If any more information you want you post to A/L.

Sylvi Wijesinhe.

Dear Sylvi Wijesinhe.

How can i set earthing path to battery, Currently my battery not earthed,

How can i check alternator,? If alternator is low charge we can identify due weak start after long journey?is n't My car not seen such issue, But i never know alternator is over charging. Can i check it with multi meter

Dear Sylvi Wijesinhe.

How can i check alternator,? If alternator is low charge we can identify due weak start after long journey?is n't My car not seen such issue, But i never know alternator is over charging. Can i check it with multi meter

'Dhanushkapg',

To check your alternator you have to have ampere meter more than 75 amperes reading and a 30 volt dc meter. This has to be wired by an auto electrician.

You can get extra earth fitted to engine from the battery as I have explained early.

IF you want any more information please call me on 0712222420.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Experts,

Specially since your usage is so infrequent and you havent started the car in 3-4 weeks the next battery you buy should be a normal battery. Thats because even if a normal battery discharges completely you can charge is up again, but with maintenance free batteries if it drains out completely it cant be brought back to its original state (of holding a charge).

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the chemistry behind this..

Watchmen is right, fully charging and discharging a sealed led acid battery decreases its lifetime dramatically.

You wont have this problem with a normal battery.

well there is no such thing as "earthing a car" because you can clearly see that no part of the car that conducts electricity is touching the ground. Car batteries have a negative and a positive terminal and generally in most Jap cars the negative terminal is connected to the body of the car (grounded or ground wire in common terms), is this what you are asking about ?

"How can i check alternator" well i suggest you read up what i posted on this thread (http://www.autolanka...__fromsearch__1)

For not charging properly

You can test this yourself if you have a voltmeter. Connect the voltmeter to the battery terminals and see the voltage of the battery when the engine is off (it should be around 12-13 volts) then start the car and see what the voltage is (Should be around 13-14 Volts). If there is no rise in the voltage when you start the car or if you notice any sudden voltage changes and drops it quite possibly is a faulty alternator.

How to test for overcharging

...... a faulty voltage regulator (a part that's coupled with the alternator), some times too much voltage can also mess with the electrical system of a car. This too can be identified by you if you have a volt meter, like before connect the voltmeter wires to the terminals, then start the car and see the voltage when the car is at idle ( should be around 13 Volts) then slowly increase the rpm of the car gradually (race the car gradually). You should notice that the voltage will increase from the idle level up to a certain level and stop at a certain level, I.E after that point no matter how hard you race the engine (increase the rpm) the voltage should reach a maximum peak level and would not go above that(14.1Volts as an example). If this happens and the voltage doesn't increase after a certain level your regulatory is fine, if the voltage just keeps on increasing without stopping the fault is definitely with your voltage regulator. This part wont cost much, roughly around 3000-4000 Rs.

Other than the methods mentioned in the link i gave you the only visible signs of a faulty alternator is electrical issues such as lights flickering, electronic equipment acting weird. But the best way to identify would be by using a multimeter, if you dont have one i suggest that you get one cause multimeters come really cheap these days (only about 850 bucks for a chinese one) and will be helpful a lot in other issues as well.

Edited by The Stig

Dear Experts,

If your not using the car for longer periods, best bet is to hook up a small float charger aka battery tender and keep. I bought mine from ebay uk and got a friend to bring it down.

I have kept my mo-bike battery in good shape for 2-3years with "once-a-week" float charging. It has a sealed type battery and i start the bike once in a few months.

After 2-3years....battery will not hold charge though.

Dear Dhanushka,

There is a serial number which indicates the year of manufacture. I will try to upload a pic. Exide is a good battery and I agree with others for that. I used to have one for may March and unfortunately I have to replace it while on a restoration project. Any how like Sylvi said you better keep a domestic battery charger if you rarely start up the engine or run it. If you have a security system it will also increase the draining of the battery. I would recommend a normal battery since maintainance free comes will few down falls.

what are the Max charge can be obtain from alternator ?

I completely do not understand this question. If you are asking what is the maximum voltage that comes out of it, its 14V. (correct me if im wrong). You can check this if you go to a electrician or a local battery shop. They test in normal condition and with load.E.g. Lights on / AC on. So if there is a problem with your alternator you can find out that too.

Some say a battery's life span is abut 2-3 Years. But if you maintain it well i guess you can do well more than that.

Ohh by the way you can add few "Guagues" like battery meter / Amp Meter if you like. This will give you a basic idea of the battery and the charging system and it will give your ride a look also. :P(just a suggetion / People who do not agree with this keep your horses down)

Dilhan

How can i find battery manufacturing year ? Can u guess what are the best among exide and lucus

what are the Max charge can be obtain from alternator ?

'Dhanushkapg',

As most batteries what we get in the market (ON battery Shops) are under 1 year old. they move very fast. due to the number of vehicles on the road.

For me Exide is the best.

I can answer for your second question.

Alternators are marked with amperage. Normally alternator will produce 40 amperes without any difficulty. EVEN THEY CAN GIVE YOU A/C CURRENT TO LIGHT UP IF YOU DO CAMPING.

Please inform the reason you want to know about the safe charging rate of the alternator?

There are high amperage producing alternators in some vehicles. like BUSES SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FITTED VEHICLES SOME TIMES THEY HAVE TWO ALTERNATORS.

If you want a detail explanation about alternators please contact me 2573690/0712222420.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

If your not using the car for longer periods, best bet is to hook up a small float charger aka battery tender and keep. I bought mine from ebay uk and got a friend to bring it down.

I have kept my mo-bike battery in good shape for 2-3years with "once-a-week" float charging. It has a sealed type battery and i start the bike once in a few months.

After 2-3years....battery will not hold charge though.

Ripper

Can u post link that your car battery charger on ebay. I search lot of car battery chargers on ebay , i dont know whether they are working with 230 v

Members,

This post is not a advertisement and this project I have done for the A/L Members are looking battery charges. Specially not to make money.

I have build two batter charges Maximum amperage is 4 amperes. With a regulator to control the charging rate.Ampere meter to read the charging rate. real professional method with fuses and box complete. Regulator can control 1/2 Amp to 4 Ampers

This i did merely as small charges are not available in the market at a reasonable cost. if any members are interested please email me.

[email protected]. or contact me on my mobile 0712222420.

I on my earlier post quoted that a charger can be made with under Rupees 1000.00 but the transformer is costing more than that.

I did not log into the forum for some time as I was hospitalized due to a health problem recovered 90% now.Still under treatment.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

This post is not a advertisement and this project I have done for the A/L Members are looking battery charges. Specially not to make money.

I have build two batter charges Maximum amperage is 4 amperes. With a regulator to control the charging rate.Ampere meter to read the charging rate. real professional method with fuses and box complete. Regulator can control 1/2 Amp to 4 Ampers

This i did merely as small charges are not available in the market at a reasonable cost. if any members are interested please email me.

I on my earlier post quoted that a charger can be made with under Rupees 1000.00 but the transformer is costing more than that.

I did not log into the forum for some time as I was hospitalized due to a health problem recovered 90% now.Still under treatment.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hope your ok, get well soon. Cheers :)

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Wishing you a speedy recovery sylvi! Hope you're back to your joyful self ASAP/.