• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Paint Faded Away

syj

Question

Hi guys....

I kept me car, covered with a car cover not under a roof. Unfortunately, it was caught to a shower and also I could not remove it later. 2 days later, I removed it and observed that paint of some areas were faded away. OMG...It looks so bad....I asked from my friend and later I used compound to remove it. But attempt was totally unsuccessful. Please guys.....I am now looking for your expert advice............Please/////.

15 answers to this question

yep as harshana said better show it to a good painter someone who knows what hes doing :) this is just a stupid thought but have you tried leaving it under the sunlight for a while :D

maybe you should stand out in the sun yourself? seems as though you have a vitamin D deficiency that's causing cognitive impairment.

Hey guys...,

I did not have any deficiency of Vitamin D...Thanks for concerning my health care by the way.. You know I kept my car parked at outside which did not have any shelter for 3-4 days. But so far, I could not find out any positive solution for this matter unless re- painting. Please guys...tell me something to do positively for my matter.....

Hey guys...,

I did not have any deficiency of Vitamin D...Thanks for concerning my health care by the way.. You know I kept my car parked at outside which did not have any shelter for 3-4 days. But so far, I could not find out any positive solution for this matter unless re- painting. Please guys...tell me something to do positively for my matter.....

Unfortunately there is no miracle cure for this type of issue other than re-painting. Trying to rub it off and stuff like that will only make it worse.

Did u get the paint job done recently ? if so please tell us the place so we can all avoid this place. But it could also be that the car cover u are using had some chemical or something. But u did mention that it got wet, and u still left it on and the sun would have baked the cover on to the paint... some of the cheap car covers sold in the pavement may not the that reliable, and even the best paint work will not be able to protect against melting plastic....

• Like 1

blame should go to the paint work. Don't try to apply compound or sand papers, you'll see the previous coat of the paint. Rangerover was spot on with that question. Better consult a good paint shop or a good painter.

harshana, i remember you had posted that you painted a pug 504 in 2009, i think it was your one.....who did the paint job . When you say full piant job does it go for the tinkering as well . I am looking for a guy who will do a good paint job in my car which is of similar age like the peugoet 504, any info on this guy ,is he good?

Edited by rameez

i'll just add my 2cents.

This was happen to me also when i had a Toyota DX. i show it to a Paint men. what he did was he washed it with car wash & keep it to dry under direct sun light. after apply a thing like brasso, it'a not brasso. it's coming with a white colour bottle cost is around 400-500 & rubbed it with a soft cloth after apply some wax job was done. didnt do any paint job. you just contact a good paint men & get his advice.

• Like 1

I need some advice: I had a brief encounter with a garage wall and my front bumper came out the worse for wear. The mild (friendly almost...:D) contact with the wall caused the front bumper to flex and although this didn't cause any lasting distortion in the painted plastic, the clear coat cracked / fractured around the point of contact.

Normally I would reach for my wet and dry compound and a clean rag, but my gut tells me this would make it worse...what do you gentleman recommend I do?

Edited by Kavvz

I need some advice: I had a brief encounter with a garage wall and my front bumper came out the worse for wear. The mild (friendly almost... :D) contact with the wall caused the front bumper to flex and although this didn't cause any lasting distortion in the painted plastic, the clear coat cracked / fractured around the point of contact.

Normally I would reach for my wet and dry compound and a clean rag, but my gut tells me this would make it worse...what do you gentleman recommend I do?

The question is whether it was just the clear coat or whether other layers were involved. To be perfectly honest the paint used on plastics is pretty flexible so I'm not sure why only the clear coat will crack like that.

Personally if it was just the clear coat, I will rub down to the layer below and simply apply another coat of clear coat again. But if the crack is deeper, you will first need to examine whats actually behind. It could be Cataloy.

The question is whether it was just the clear coat or whether other layers were involved. To be perfectly honest the paint used on plastics is pretty flexible so I'm not sure why only the clear coat will crack like that.

Personally if it was just the clear coat, I will rub down to the layer below and simply apply another coat of clear coat again. But if the crack is deeper, you will first need to examine whats actually behind. It could be Cataloy.

No I got this one new, so its free of filler. I guess I just hit it at a bad angle? (Upon closer inspection there looks like there is some abrasion and scruffing as well now that I've had time to examine it).

So you suggest rubbing down the edges with some 3000 grit and seeing what gives? That seems to be the consensus online as well: I guess I could give it a shot. It can only get better, as currently it sticks out like a sore thumb. (Its on the front bumper and is the length and width of three fingers)

Should I start with compound and then move onto sandpaper? Online DIY suggestions leave out any mention of compound. Is this because rubbing with compound would make it worse? Or is it because its beyond the point where rubbing compound would help, where one might as well just cut to the chase and go at it with sand paper?

Edited by Kavvz