• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Claiming From Offender's 3Rd Party Insurance

monty

Guys,

During an accident what is the process involved with claiming for damages from the offender's 3rd party insurance? Suppose someone knocks down my vehicle and I decide not to go to police, can I still claim for damages from the offenders 3rd party? How soon can I get a settlement?

Anyway, I can claim from my own insurance to get things fixed. But if then the offender just gets off without a penalty for his fault. Also, if the process involved with claiming for damages from the offender's 3rd party insurance is too complex then you will be wasting your time. I think this is one reason some people (specially 3-wheel and private bus buggers) drive as though they don't really care whether they knock down a vehicle or not, knowing very well the other party will always claim from their insurance to fix damages caused.

Once a car rear ended my vehicle and I did not want to go to police. The offender checked with me whether I had a full insurance and after the insurance agent came and estimated for a full claim, the bugger just slipped away saying "Sorry"! :unsure:

Of course the other option is to demand for spot cash (which will never work with 3-wheel and private bus drivers me thinks ).

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Well... claiming from 3rd party is a tedious and PIA process. YOu need to report to the cops the accident, get that offender to admit in courts that he was at fault. Collect the courts report, contact his insurance company, then get them to start the investigation/processing procedure. All the while you cannot fix your car... ;) Trust me, the insurance company will NOT, I mean will NOT settle it. they will drag it for months or years.

If you want to teach the bugger a lesson, I am afraid all you can do is take it to the cop shop and lodge a complaint and rasthiyadufy the fellow at courts.

But then if you play the cards right at the moment of the accident you can get away with some cash or even an assurance to fix the damage.

I had a 3 wheeler fellow rear end my car some time back and instead of wanting to rip his head out since it was the Alfa,, I was courteous and in the end he ended up getting my car fixed through his brother who is a D*MO bodyshop guy who does work on the side. Car is as good as new, no aggravation and all walked out happy.

Same thing happened to an office colleague who was rear ended by a three wheeler. He did the same thing and he got his vehicle fixed in 72 hours through a party known to both of the people involved. (Everyone knows everyone in COlombo... :))

No cops, no anger, and no bad blood.

So basically, it all depends on how you play the cards. If the guy looks like he is trying slip away then you have no choice but to call the cops and take him to the cop shop, most will try to avoid it and come to a settlement. But at no time should you get angry or lose control. You take control of the situation and play it the way you want.

• Like 5

Macahng Getting the claim from that guys Insurance is not that easy...

1.Police will file a case against him at traffic courts.

2.After that you need to file a case against him & his insurance company in district courts asking for the claim..

So better off in getting settled that place itself.....

Well... claiming from 3rd party is a tedious and PIA process. YOu need to report to the cops the accident, get that offender to admit in courts that he was at fault. Collect the courts report, contact his insurance company, then get them to start the investigation/processing procedure. All the while you cannot fix your car... ;) Trust me, the insurance company will NOT, I mean will NOT settle it. they will drag it for months or years.

If you want to teach the bugger a lesson, I am afraid all you can do is take it to the cop shop and lodge a complaint and rasthiyadufy the fellow at courts.

But then if you play the cards right at the moment of the accident you can get away with some cash or even an assurance to fix the damage.

I had a 3 wheeler fellow rear end my car some time back and instead of wanting to rip his head out since it was the Alfa,, I was courteous and in the end he ended up getting my car fixed through his brother who is a D*MO bodyshop guy who does work on the side. Car is as good as new, no aggravation and all walked out happy.

Same thing happened to an office colleague who was rear ended by a three wheeler. He did the same thing and he got his vehicle fixed in 72 hours through a party known to both of the people involved. (Everyone knows everyone in COlombo... :))

No cops, no anger, and no bad blood.

So basically, it all depends on how you play the cards. If the guy looks like he is trying slip away then you have no choice but to call the cops and take him to the cop shop, most will try to avoid it and come to a settlement. But at no time should you get angry or lose control. You take control of the situation and play it the way you want.

Great advice VVTi...thanks for sharing your experience...exactly as I assumed the 3rd party claiming process would be.

As you said the best approach would be to take control of the situation and try to get it settled then and there. cheers mate!

Macahng Getting the claim from that guys Insurance is not that easy...

1.Police will file a case against him at traffic courts.

2.After that you need to file a case against him & his insurance company in district courts asking for the claim..

So better off in getting settled that place itself.....

Thanks 3000cc. Yes, seems that's the most sensible thing to do.

i faced a similar situation recently. a bus trying to overtake several vehicles right on the zebra crossing knoked my back door and side mirror. driver refused to pay any money. the bus owner came and he was a real thug.he refused to pay any thing as well.i immediately called police and made an entry.bus was taken to police and they said it'll be detained for sometime.but when i hung out in the town and heading back to home( abt 1.5hrs later) i saw the same bus full with people taking its next turn.later i found out owner is central province ch#%f mi%&sters cousin.

police told me the tedious story of claimig damage from 3rd party and the best is to claim it from my own insurance

friends i have 1 more question regarding this.suppose my car is fully insured.i bang some other vehicle and that vehicle owner is calming money from me. is it possible to claim that money from my insurance company cos my car is fully insured? it will be helpful if some one can share something about this.

thanks...

friends i have 1 more question regarding this.suppose my car is fully insured.i bang some other vehicle and that vehicle owner is calming money from me. is it possible to claim that money from my insurance company cos my car is fully insured? it will be helpful if some one can share something about this.

thanks...

how did the accident happen do you hit that vehicle from behind,front or side any ways to claim money to that vehicle you need to go to the police station and go to the court and accept that you are guilty and then the insurance company will pay the money to that vehicle owner. at least that what the insurance guy told me i was in same same kind of situation like you what i was done is claim insurance for my damage and pay the other party. :)

how did the accident happen do you hit that vehicle from behind,front or side any ways to claim money to that vehicle you need to go to the police station and go to the court and accept that you are guilty and then the insurance company will pay the money to that vehicle owner. at least that what the insurance guy told me i was in same same kind of situation like you what i was done is claim insurance for my damage and pay the other party. :)

tanks dude.got it.better to claim for my vehicle and pay for the other from my pocket he he....

Guys,

During an accident what is the process involved with claiming for damages from the offender's 3rd party insurance? Suppose someone knocks down my vehicle and I decide not to go to police, can I still claim for damages from the offenders 3rd party? How soon can I get a settlement?

Anyway, I can claim from my own insurance to get things fixed. But if then the offender just gets off without a penalty for his fault. Also, if the process involved with claiming for damages from the offender's 3rd party insurance is too complex then you will be wasting your time. I think this is one reason some people (specially 3-wheel and private bus buggers) drive as though they don't really care whether they knock down a vehicle or not, knowing very well the other party will always claim from their insurance to fix damages caused.

Once a car rear ended my vehicle and I did not want to go to police. The offender checked with me whether I had a full insurance and after the insurance agent came and estimated for a full claim, the bugger just slipped away saying "Sorry"! :unsure:

Of course the other option is to demand for spot cash (which will never work with 3-wheel and private bus drivers me thinks ).

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Few years back while turning in to a main road, a trishaw donkey came from no where and knocked the front of my new cab. My bumper/foglight got damaged. As like anyone I was so hot tempered @ the time, I felt like ripping his guts out!! Anyway for once I kept my cool and asked for his license/insurance. And the only thing he had was his national id!! Can u believe it!! no license & insurance!! :angry2: . When I asked him for money, he showed me his empty purse.. So I took his driving license & trishaw key. Told him to wait, and I went to the local hardware shop & got the biggest chain & padlock they had. Then I went back & padlocked his trishaw to the nearest lamp post!! I told him that the only way I would return his id & key was only if he paid me for the damages!! So I came back that evening to find that he had got brought along a buddy of his from the local police and had cut the padlock & taken his trishaw away!!

Anyway my best advice is next time, specially if a trishaw hits u. 1st make sure u remove ur vehicle plates, then go & beat the shit.. out of the trishaw driver!! Trust me, its a better feeling than going away empty handed!! :)

Few years back while turning in to a main road, a trishaw donkey came from no where and knocked the front of my new cab. My bumper/foglight got damaged. As like anyone I was so hot tempered @ the time, I felt like ripping his guts out!! Anyway for once I kept my cool and asked for his license/insurance. And the only thing he had was his national id!! Can u believe it!! no license & insurance!! :angry2: . When I asked him for money, he showed me his empty purse.. So I took his driving license & trishaw key. Told him to wait, and I went to the local hardware shop & got the biggest chain & padlock they had. Then I went back & padlocked his trishaw to the nearest lamp post!! I told him that the only way I would return his id & key was only if he paid me for the damages!! So I came back that evening to find that he had got brought along a buddy of his from the local police and had cut the padlock & taken his trishaw away!!

Anyway my best advice is next time, specially if a trishaw hits u. 1st make sure u remove ur vehicle plates, then go & beat the shit.. out of the trishaw driver!! Trust me, its a better feeling than going away empty handed!! :)

And at no point did it occur to you to call the police yourself? pretty stupid move you made if you ask me. It sounds more like something sylvi would do.

• Like 1

that is very good advice, to get you jailed. Before beating the shit out of a person, there are lots of things to get the situation resolved,

Oh dear... that's like the dumbest thing I have heard. Beating up a another person is a jailable offense. No excuse. You will go to jail. YOu will lose your job, you will lose your anal virginity, all for what? A bit of metal and plastic?

Smart thing would have been for you to call the police, which is the normal legal requirement. Get them to intervene and do what was needed.

Instead, you spent money buying a padlock and chain and then ended up looking like a j***a$$, while the offender came and had a good hiken puna at your expense and went off. Did he at least return the chain and padlock? :)

UPDATE. Regarding my friend from office who had a smiliar brush with a 3 wheeler, the guy actually fixed his car, painted it and all are happy. 3 Wheeler claimed from his insuerance, and the tailgate of the car was painted to what it was before the accident.

Edited by VVTi

All talk. I bet if that driver took out a metal pole and tried to beat you up you would be on your knees blowing him.Next time someone scratches mummy's car, call the police ok? Unless you like the idea of bieng a corpse in a canal.

Once my experience wasn’t tiresome at all. A car rear ended my car once, the damage wasn’t bad, but he was blaming me for stopping my car all of a sudden. I actually had to do it because the car in front did a turn without a signal or courtesy. The argument went on and I also didn’t want to let go simply he was talking big. Went to the police station and logged a complaint against him. That’s all my hassle, police took the case there on. He had to appear in courts for two sessions, pleaded guilty for the offence, had to pay 4000/- plus to the courts, and instructed the insurance company to settle damages on mine. Got a copy of the case through a lawyer that I know, but I didn’t claim it since it was too small damage and hardly noticeable.

All he had to do was to say was “sorry”.