• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Timing Belt Change- "diy Fail"

blkr6

I changed the timing belt on my very first car. My aunty bought this car back in 1991 and i bought it as my very first car and i fell in love with it and decided to never sell it. For the past 10 years and 90k miles i have procrastinating my timing belt change. Finally my Water-pump decided to go out on me so i changed the water pump, timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and all the seals after 21 years and 150k miles (241km) of driving. i was going to do a DIY for you guys but after my camera was covered with grease and not having extra set of hands didn't help, so i said heck with it and continued my project. I do apologize for that.

Car: 1991 Toyota Camry with 3SFE engine, 150K miles. Original everything except Shocks, Radiator, CV joints, valve cover gasket and now water pump etc...

camry010.jpg

Engine before removal

SAM_0021-1.jpg

i use the break-a-bar and the starter motor to remove the crank bolt (21 years of bonding couldn't break with just a ratchet

SAM_0022.jpg

150k Mile/21 year old belt

SAM_0026-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

Edited by blkr6

You seem to be quite the risk taker, running for 21 years without a belt change is suicidal..... you are quite lucky it did not give way.

Where are u from ?

Stop being dramatic, its not suicidal... :)

The 3S FE is a non-interference engine, me thinks, Blkr can correct me.

So a broken T Belt is an annoyance, rather than reason to commit suicide.

Jeez... some people... ;)

• Like 3

Stop being dramatic, its not suicidal... :)

The 3S FE is a non-interference engine, me thinks, Blkr can correct me.

So a broken T Belt is an annoyance, rather than reason to commit suicide.

Jeez... some people... ;)

you are right!

wow that car is CLEAN for that age, you must be in a sunshine state. Good job

Thanks, i took a good care of it. it was a sunshine state this winter in virginia but other winters not so lucky.