• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2002 Puegeot 206 Petrol Consuption

TheFlyingFox

Hi Guys,

i recently invested on a 2002 Peugeot 206 1.4L Automatic. full servised and changed all 4 plugs with NGK. i get about 7-8kms to the litre (95 octant) in the city. Is it normal? i thought it should do at least about 9.

Went outstation and it did about 11.

how's the gear changing of the AL4 tranny? does it waits till the engine revs more or it swiftly changes the gears?

should do around 10-12 for a manual one. Dont know any exact figures of an automatic one though.

Gear changes at ~ 2500rpm if your good with the accelerator. Its a 5 forward.

Its a standard 206. not a SW

so 7-8 is normal on a Auto? If its normal i can be in piece. Otherwise please tell me what to do.

Thanks

gear chaning is bit late. should change at 2000 if you're light on the pedal. i'm not saying 7-8 is normal but towards a bit high consumption side. However, don't have facts or first hand information, assumed therefore, provided that my 406 auto does about 6-7 me being heavy on the pedal all the time.

Harshan, how should an AL4 gearbox be serviced?

According to manufacturer it's service free, rather sealed for life. But most of the cases the gearbox failed in relatively lower mileages. Therefore now its recommended to change gear oil in 35,000 miles intervals. Have seen some forums suggest oil changes in 25k miles if used in stop go traffic. What we usually do is change gear oil around 30k intervals along with the filter and oil inside the torque converter should be completely changed. Dont know exactly what I do is correct but the 406 lasted well in the same way with previous owner and with me close to one year.

• Like 1

According to manufacturer it's service free, rather sealed for life. But most of the cases the gearbox failed in relatively lower mileages. Therefore now its recommended to change gear oil in 35,000 miles intervals. Have seen some forums suggest oil changes in 25k miles if used in stop go traffic. What we usually do is change gear oil around 30k intervals along with the filter and oil inside the torque converter should be completely changed. Dont know exactly what I do is correct but the 406 lasted well in the same way with previous owner and with me close to one year.

So you guys are going on miles rather than km? What if a vehicle is only sparingly used so takes 5 years to get to 25K miles?

So you guys are going on miles rather than km? What if a vehicle is only sparingly used so takes 5 years to get to 25K miles?

That's a killer for al4 gearbox as per our experience. Should put the vehicle in frequent use if you want to avoid valve sticking issues and what not. This was proven correct when I was using the 307, it ran solid. Then 406 joined the fleet and 307 was hardly used except for very random use my bro did. Not so long in that way and tranny packed up.

This was also told by Aruna who maintains my Peugeots. In fact he warned me and said to use the 406 frequently after the golf joined and knowing I would run Golf often than 406 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the gear oil change in around 30k is there a oil filter in the gearbox? To change the oil inside the torque converter do you have the take the whole thing apart? I mean is the torque converter built into the gearbox?

Thanks in advance

Regarding the gear oil change in around 30k is there a oil filter in the gearbox? To change the oil inside the torque converter do you have the take the whole thing apart? I mean is the torque converter built into the gearbox?

Thanks in advance

There is a filter unit attached to the oil pump inside the gearbox. To change it, you have to take the gearbox out and valve body side opened. The torque converter is attached to the ply wheel by three bolts and can be seen once you take the box out. Yes, to change the oil inside the torque converter, you have to remove the box and then take the converter out.

• Like 1

The Al4 gearbox is pretty hectic,I've seen many al4's with so many issues ranging from clutch slips to knocks.The gear oil should be changed every 25000 kms ,if you're running on local roads .Make sure its the AL4 genuine oil you use and that the oil change is done by a professional . As i recall it holds 4-4.5 ish litres and if you drain the complete gearbox including the torque converter then probably close to 5 litres of AL4 oil.

• Like 1

I do agree with some comments about premature tranny oil changes here. Pug's auto box is very sensitive and needs TLC for better results.

Few steps will give you relief...get a full tune up done,change tranny oil using an ATF changer..

If results are going to be the same, you can do a little off the book method to help gear changes, simply back off the peddle gently and slightly to enhance the upon reaching normal changing speeds. that will help gear change in sort of a manual way. continous revving up will not help changes. do that and see if the consumption reduces, if so get the auto box serviced.

MINIACE

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I will take it to the garaj end of the month and take the whole thing apart and do the needfull.

@ Shehan : 5 liters would be enough for the whole thing? I thought for the ATF method more gear oil is needed. last time i checked a litre was ~4000 rupees at car mart. Anywhere you know where i can get it cheaper?

That was the cheapest i've heard . Last time my friend had to do an oil change and CM was outta stocks so they had to outsource it . A litre ended up being rs7000 a rip off .I heard its pretty expensive else where better check .5-5.5 litres would be enough for a complete change including the Torque converter , else its like 4