• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving License

Lasanga Perera

Might as well learn the harder thing first. Its easier then trying to get rid of learned habits and relearning something when learning the harder thing.

Also, thats a pretty unfair generalization. Most of the lady drivers at my work place drive stick, and prefer stick. Complete opposite to the rest of life, but thats the way it is here.

I feel some people have no need to be able to drive a stick shift. For instance, my sis drives an auto and i dont see that ever changing.

If you spend most of your time on congested city roads, an auto makes driving a lot less painful.

And unlike the old days..autoboxes have come a long way. shifting lags are a lot less and you do get some degree of control with triptronic.

By all means...manual is the best even for me but some people dont really need that "added hassle" of having to shift gears, learn to balance the clutch and what not.

Good way to start driving is Auto because some people are scared to drive on the road so for people like that they should drive Auto first and get used to the road and later you can learn Manual no big deal actually. Nowerdays all the good cars are auto.

Sri Lankan minds are really different. I asked a learners sometime back if I can learn Auto license they said I dont think its a good idea to learn auto because you wont be able to drive big cars later on.

The learners dont know anything lol! Specially many Sri Lankans think that girls should drive auto and guys should drive Manual. Its really foolish ;) You drive what ever you like! But its good to learn Manual also but some people learn manual and they drive auto now and they are telling they cannot drive a manual car now so whats the use?

I feel some people have no need to be able to drive a stick shift. For instance, my sis drives an auto and i dont see that ever changing.

If you spend most of your time on congested city roads, an auto makes driving a lot less painful.

And unlike the old days..autoboxes have come a long way. shifting lags are a lot less and you do get some degree of control with triptronic.

By all means...manual is the best even for me but some people dont really need that "added hassle" of having to shift gears, learn to balance the clutch and what not.

True 'nuff. But pays to know both, even for the girls. Might need it to cart some drunk friends home after a night out in an emergency ;)

• Like 2

Might as well learn the harder thing first. Its easier then trying to get rid of learned habits and relearning something when learning the harder thing.

Also, thats a pretty unfair generalization. Most of the lady drivers at my work place drive stick, and prefer stick. Complete opposite to the rest of life, but thats the way it is here.

first of all i'm not a fan of the auto trannies what i was say is when learning first it's easy to learn from a auto and then move to manual trannie because you get road control of the car and lose the fear factor at first.

there are some ladie drivers who prefer manual over automatic trannies i know few of them but when they get older or they drive mostly in city limits they prefer automatic's. the most of the lady drivers i know are prefer automatic over manual and if you go for a car sale and ask what trannie type female car buyers prefer they will say automatic. :)

and whether we like it or not there is a big chance that in few years there are not going to be any new manual transmission cars. :(

The traditional way was always better. Drive around a garden or deserted field to get the hang of the manual, then head for the road ;) But then, we did grow up with NFS and Test Drive ;)

And dude, I was referring to your post. You just said "ladies have problem learning manual gear cars at first." I said that was an unfair generalization, not that I think most ladies prefer manual.

• Like 1

i prefer auto, its easier to driver around and dont have problems on the highways as well, as ripper said automatic has improved alot..

do you have problems with manuals in the highway???

Edited by Reckless
  • Like 1

Me and my friends have been driving around without licenses for a while now. Recently we did get caught and the cop wanted to confiscate the permit and give a dadda kolla. However we managed to get out of it with a bribe. Coupla times we have gotten caught and the cops have been nice enough to let us go.. I too recently got stopped at an army checkpoint and they didnt create that much of an issue..

And about the whole auto/manual thing, i started with my dads auto and then started learning manual at a learners. Must say i prefer auto.I have driven a tiptronic mazda3 and that seems a perfectly capable system. That being said, i do know how to drive a manual, just prefer auto :P

thats quiet true, also even if we drive autos daily, we never forget how to drive a manual. besides you will never know when it will become handy.

most of the ladies I know drive small cars like indian marutis or altos or bultos that only comes with stick shift. Ive also seen ladies drive huge vehicles like prados, monteros and mercs with stick shift.

• Like 1

How could we? I'm sure nearly everyone has been looking up her profile on FB :P

But to get back on track, I miss driving a manual, there are more than enough reminders on my daily commute to work. I find myself planning overtake maneuvers further in advance than I would in a manual, simply because kickdown takes half a second too long.

How could we? I'm sure nearly everyone has been looking up her profile on FB :P

But to get back on track, I miss driving a manual, there are more than enough reminders on my daily commute to work. I find myself planning overtake maneuvers further in advance than I would in a manual, simply because kickdown takes half a second too long.

True every one has different Ideas :)

I find myself planning overtake maneuvers further in advance than I would in a manual, simply because kickdown takes half a second too long.

dude instead of kickdown, what about shifting to 2nd? is it bad for the gearbox?