• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving License

Lasanga Perera

hmm one anonymous user is following this topic, I wonder whos the sneaky bugger is :D

May be Peri ? :P

I don't subscribe to threads unless it looks like trouble and I might not be near a computer for some time. Need to keep refreshing the whole recent topics list constantly anyway.

Its actually " Tiptronic " :) and not all auto cars have this, so doubt using this is properly taught at the learners...

if you are an absolute beginner it can be tricky so need to be careful not to over rev the engine in the wrong gear, like when down shifting at high speeds.

Actually the term "tiptronic" is being hacked to death here in SL, not every car that has a manually shiftable automatic gearbox is a "tiptronic".

The proper term is "Manumatic", "Tiptronic" is the system developed by Porsche. Other manufacturers call it different names e.g- Honda- Multimatic, Hyundai- Hmatic, BMW-steptronic etc. Another common mistake made by Sri Lankans :sad-smiley-066:

• Like 1

Dude she's not here looking for private tuition :P and she's said it a couple of times.. she KNOWS how to drive....

Just some legal advice.

Just highlighting the risk dude........ knowing to drive in basic auto mode is different from using the tiptronic mode, I have seen cars where guys have busted the tranny by doing it the wrong way or accidently. Maybe in newer cars the system may not allow u to do this till it reaches the correct speed..... ?

Just highlighting the risk dude........ knowing to drive in basic auto mode is different from using the tiptronic mode, I have seen cars where guys have busted the tranny by doing it the wrong way or accidently. Maybe in newer cars the system may not allow u to do this till it reaches the correct speed..... ?

yes you can't change to higher gears as You want in new cars unless it reaches to the correct speed. Down shifting is auto.

Actually the term "tiptronic" is being hacked to death here in SL, not every car that has a manually shiftable automatic gearbox is a "tiptronic".

The proper term is "Manumatic", "Tiptronic" is the system developed by Porsche. Other manufacturers call it different names e.g- Honda- Multimatic, Hyundai- Hmatic, BMW-steptronic etc. Another common mistake made by Sri Lankans :sad-smiley-066:

I thought it was Mercedes who uses the term tiptronic. I remember seeing that on quite a few merc catalogs

I thought it was Mercedes who uses the term tiptronic. I remember seeing that on quite a few merc catalogs

The term is quite loosely used anyway in SL and by most agents,.... like we call any 4x4 station wagon a " Jeep " :)

I thought Honda's multimatic was for their version of the CVT ? The auto ViRS does not have a manual shift .

do you have problems with manuals in the highway???

what i meant was that with the new auto transmission systems you dont have much performance problems in the highway like we did in the past

• Like 1

Nope its Porsche's for sure, but they did license the term out to VW group so its possible that Merc bought the rights to use it as well.

Dudes ,

In Sri lanka trip tronic is mostly used when you are overtaking say you are trying to overtake a bus and your car takes time to pickup you put one gear up then it pickups fast as manul cars pickup.

I dont think trip tronic is good to use all the time because why buying an auto car if you want to drive the Auto car like manual :) now dont say Auto cars dont have a clutch I already know that.

Dudes ,

In Sri lanka trip tronic is mostly used when you are overtaking say you are trying to overtake a bus and your car takes time to pickup you put one gear up then it pickups fast as manul cars pickup.

I dont think trip tronic is good to use all the time because why buying an auto car if you want to drive the Auto car like manual :) now dont say Auto cars dont have a clutch I already know that.

Thank you very much for that valuable (not) lesson on how to overtake a bus.. But I'm sure you need to learn a few things yourself before using a tiptronic (NOT triptronic... cant you learn?) vehicle. When you need to overtake, you shift DOWN; not up. And you dont need a tiptronic to do that. Even a simple automatic can do the same. Please go read up on kick-down.

• Like 2

Dudes ,

:speechless-smiley-004:

Wrong, when you want to overtake you should downshift not upshift cause engines have their peak HP and Torque at higher revs. ( i know it says to upshift when you want to overtake in the drivers ed book but that doesnt apply to all situations) Up shifting will only gradually increase the speed but it wont give you the sudden urge of power that you get when you downshift. But if you have hit the rev limiter of the car then yes upshifting manually is a good idea since AT is designed to give more torque when you suddenly press the accelerator.

"now dont say Auto cars dont have a clutch I already know that."

Sorry lady but wrong again, auto cars do have a clutch. In fact they have more than one clutch, you just cant see it nor do you have a peddle to press it :)

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 2

Some automatic transmissions offer a switch that lets drivers select a mode, typically called “sport” or “performance,” that raises the rpm at which the transmission upshifts and usually makes it kick down more readily. The trade-off is a decrease in fuel economy.

:) Thanks for the info watchman.

Thank you very much for that valuable (not) lesson on how to overtake a bus.. But I'm sure you need to learn a few things yourself before using a tiptronic (NOT triptronic... cant you learn?) vehicle. When you need to overtake, you shift DOWN; not up. And you dont need a tiptronic to do that. Even a simple automatic can do the same. Please go read up on kick-down.

Most autos have L, 2, 3 selectable anyway, even without tiptronic.

do you have problems with manuals in the highway???

Definitely not on E01 but if you got stuck in an expressway in a developed country,for an hour ,two ,three or more hours,playing with the clutch is something beyond a nightmare.

I used to be a maniac manuel driver but after discovered the differance and auto boxes smooth power delivary,I never wanted to go back to manuels except for a little change may be.

Some automatic transmissions offer a switch that lets drivers select a mode, typically called “sport” or “performance,” that raises the rpm at which the transmission upshifts and usually makes it kick down more readily. The trade-off is a decrease in fuel economy.

:) Thanks for the info watchman.

i must say u should use quotes when directly quoting from the internet or other sources...

Start : About driving license

Now : How to drive a auto tranny & tiptronic

Next :speechless-smiley-020: ???

:man_in_love:

Start : About driving license

Now : How to drive a auto tranny & tiptronic

Next :speechless-smiley-020: ???

:man_in_love:

next-? =Only God knows