• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problems With Vios

Mkms Alwis

Question

Hi guys....

Im very new to this forum and have seen lots of good issues were discussed in the past..... so i thought this is the best forum to discuss my issues with my car.... sorry for my ignorance............

Recently i bought a Toyota VIOS Grade E year 2003..... its a Mannual Car and It has done already 79000 kms.

I did a engine tuneup at Toyota Lanka and do the regular service. But now I'm experiencing the following issues;

1. at the first start (cool start) RPM increases upto 2000 and comes back to 800 after a 1 min.

2. in a normal drive, when i puch the clutch to shift gears RPM increases to around 2000 and backs to 1000

3 in a slope it is difficult to clutch balance with the AC on. Engine trys to stop.

I hope experts will help me to solve these issues....... Thanks in advance.....

7 answers to this question

Hi guys....

Im very new to this forum and have seen lots of good issues were discussed in the past..... so i thought this is the best forum to discuss my issues with my car.... sorry for my ignorance............

Recently i bought a Toyota VIOS Grade E year 2003..... its a Mannual Car and It has done already 79000 kms.

I did a engine tuneup at Toyota Lanka and do the regular service. But now I'm experiencing the following issues;

1. at the first start (cool start) RPM increases upto 2000 and comes back to 800 after a 1 min.

2. in a normal drive, when i puch the clutch to shift gears RPM increases to around 2000 and backs to 1000

3 in a slope it is difficult to clutch balance with the AC on. Engine trys to stop.

I hope experts will help me to solve these issues....... Thanks in advance.....

1. The first start in the morning is where the ECU makes the car run a bit rich to heat up the internals as quickly as possibnle. This is to heat up the engine ASAP. This is normal on almost all cars. Nothing to worry at all.

2. That will got something to do woth the way you press and release the clutch pedal, Or it could be that your clutch plate/pressure plate needs changing soon. Get someone else to drive and see.

3. This could be related to the above conditions. Ask from the previous owner about the clutch replacement details.

Doubt if anythin is wrong with the car.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 2

I concur. The engine is behaving normally. As for the speed increasing when you press the clutch, your clutch balancing obviously needs to be improved.

You need to depress the clutch smoothly while letting go of the accelerator, otherwise the engine will increase rpms when the load is removed with the accelerator still in the same position. Your last issue will disappear when your clutch balancing prowess is improved.

• Like 3

1. The first start in the morning is where the ECU makes the car run a bit rich to heat up the internals as quickly as possibnle. This is to heat up the engine ASAP. This is normal on almost all cars. Nothing to worry at all.

2. That will got something to do woth the way you press and release the clutch pedal, Or it could be that your clutch plate/pressure plate needs changing soon. Get someone else to drive and see.

3. This could be related to the above conditions. Ask from the previous owner about the clutch replacement details.

Doubt if anythin is wrong with the car.

Thanks a lot Mr VVTi for ur valuable input.... Im new to mannual cars as i had a AT car previously.........

I concur. The engine is behaving normally. As for the speed increasing when you press the clutch, your clutch balancing obviously needs to be improved.

You need to depress the clutch smoothly while letting go of the accelerator, otherwise the engine will increase rpms when the load is removed with the accelerator still in the same position. Your last issue will disappear when your clutch balancing prowess is improved.

really appreciate your valuable thoughts..... as u said i thing its something to do with my clutch balancing...... need to improve it........

Guys, i have another small issue. apprently i have to replace my engine mounts.... so i checked with Toyota Lank* , but they said they have mounts only for AT vios cars..... Mounts for Mannual Cars seems to be diffrent from Auto.... I checked with GS Au** as well.... they told me the same story....

Can u suggest me a place to look at...... hw can i resolve this matter.............. Plzz....

You have not mentioned your issue. why you want to replace engine mounts?

regarding your first issue.

RPM increase : normally RPM is slightly increase when the cluthe is depressed. make sure you have fully released the accelerator to avoid too much RPM increase.

Engine Stop : you will need to replace clutch pate and pressure plate. will cost you around 30k for genuine. actual ODO meter reading may not be 79k becasue most car sale owners turn the ODO meter backword. so I think clutch is worn out. is your clutch hard to press? does clutch engage near the top possition of the clutch? do you feel the car vibrates when try to pickup in stop and go traffic?

Thanks a lot Mr VVTi for ur valuable input.... Im new to mannual cars as i had a AT car previously.........

Mr? Just VVti would be enough, thank you very much... :)

and yo9ua re welcome.

I had a car with the same engine so I am familar with the morning rev up. With the 1NZFE you need to keep an eye on sludge though. Change your oils at least 500Kms before the schedule and ensure the filter is a good quality filter, even if it costs more.

Why do you need to repalce the mounts? What are the symptoms?

Edited by VVTi