• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Subaru Legacy B4 Info.. Help!!!

B4Crazyyy

Hi guys....

I'm on the lookout for a good B4... As a first time Subaru user:

1) Is the B4 TT tiptronic a good car??

2) The blue car put up for sale today.. Anybody know the history of this car??

3) What;s the going price of such cars??

4) Anybody know of a B4 TT manual for sale?? If so, how much would it approx cost??

Would appreciate some help.... Any help... :)

Cheers

B4Crazyyy

well i had a b4.. had to sell it since i moved to canada.. i think the new owner is selling it.. it should be around the 2mill mark. possibly lower.. but a well maintained manual one is hard to find.. most don't sell those.. the tiptronic is ok far more responsive. but you need to take care of her well.. if not she aint gonna please u either...

1) Yeah, It's kind of a rapid saloon (will smoke the other saloons on the road :box2: ), it drinks a lot too.(around 5k's per ltr) :sport-smiley-003: > non turbo will do 7-8.

2) No, ain't got no records. :D

3) Goes around near 2mil...

4) Well, you know, whether it's a manual or an auto, the person who's gonna buy it have no fuel concerns at all. The manual will be much responsive for sure. Can't expect a huge price difference between a manual and an auto in this kinda saloon.

Well, you have come to the right place..... but before you buy please go through the Subaru section as you will find a lot of info. And if you are still willing to go ahead with it all the best. I have given a few brief answers to what you have mentioned.

) Is the B4 TT tiptronic a good car?? Yes

2) The blue car put up for sale today.. Anybody know the history of this car?? I have no idea who owns that car, but best is you call up the guy and ask him who maintains it, and you can speak to them directly.

3) What;s the going price of such cars?? Anything between 2 to 2.5,

4) Anybody know of a B4 TT manual for sale?? If so, how much would it approx cost?? Few vehicles, but not impossible to find.

1) Yeah, It's kind of a rapid saloon (will smoke the other saloons on the road :box2: ), it drinks a lot too.(around 5k's per ltr) :sport-smiley-003: > non turbo will do 7-8.

4) Well, you know, whether it's a manual or an auto, the person who's gonna buy it have no fuel concerns at all. The manual will be much responsive for sure. Can't expect a huge price difference between a manual and an auto in this kinda saloon.

I get very close to 6 kmpl ( tiptronic) , a manual TT will do better. But you just need to forget about the fuel economy. I burn close to 300 lts of 95 oct, fuel per month. I was using the wurth octain booster on top of it, but had to give up due to the fuel increase.

There is a big price difference between M/T and Tiptronic, at least a gap of Rs 200 or Rs 300k , but its still worth it since you get 15bhp more + will do better on fuel, which will pay back for that extra amount u spend.

well i had a b4.. had to sell it since i moved to canada.. i think the new owner is selling it.. it should be around the 2mill mark. possibly lower.. but a well maintained manual one is hard to find.. most don't sell those.. the tiptronic is ok far more responsive. but you need to take care of her well.. if not she aint gonna please u either...

Ado why is he selling it? Wasn't that long since he bought it right?

I get very close to 6 kmpl ( tiptronic) , a manual TT will do better. But you just need to forget about the fuel economy. I burn close to 300 lts of 95 oct, fuel per month. I was using the wurth octain booster on top of it, but had to give up due to the fuel increase.

There is a big price difference between M/T and Tiptronic, at least a gap of Rs 200 or Rs 300k , but its still worth it since you get 15bhp more + will do better on fuel, which will pay back for that extra amount u spend.

Sucks, eh, to cut corners to maintain a money pit?

Now, if you had a Alfa V6, designed by Giuseppe Busso, you would not have to worry about these Octane Boosters and what not, pump 90 or 95, get about 9kmpls outstation and about 6.5-7 in the City... all for less than half the price of your car... :)

Did I mention that I saved up enough to drop 4 KONIs also in the Alfa... :) For the same price as the 300 litres of 95 Oct you pumped last month... :)

• Like 1

Ah.. talking about the dead guy again...

The B4 can take 95 fairly well so its not necessary to use Octane booster, thats why I am trying to tell the OP he needs to just forget the whole kmpl numbers.

Yes, the dead guy. But what a man he was when he was alive.

Giuseppe Busso (April 27, 1913 - January 3, 2006) was an Alfa Romeo and Ferrari technical designer. Born in Turin, he graduated as an industrial designer, and In 1937 began working for Fiat in its aviation engine department. In January 1939 he moved to Alfa Romeo where he worked under guidance of Orazio Satta Puliga. His main responsibility was racing car engines.

In 1946 he became technical director for Ferrari and took part in developing the Ferrari 125 Sport 1.5 L V12 engine. Busso was back at Alfa in 1948 and worked there until 1977. He was in charge of mechanical engineering for all of the Alfa Romeos. He took part in creation of the Alfa Romeo 1900, Giulietta, Giulia, 1750, 2000 and Alfetta. With the 1900, Busso introduced the 4 cylinders Alfa Romeo Twin Cam engine. Another creation of his was the Alfa Romeo V6 engine which was designed in the early 70s and introduced in the 1979 Alfa 6.[1]

He died in Arese, Milan, just 3 days after the stop of the production of his V6 engine.

One day when you get biored and get off that high horse of yours, I might even take you (in a totally non gay way, of course) on the highway and let you listen to the music of this amazing engine at 6500rpm and 200Kmph+ ... :)

BTW, 95 in SL is not exactly 95, you knew that, right? One of the reasons for such bad fuel consumption in many of these JDM cars is the fact that our RON ratings are lower than what it should be, That's why it is always recommended to buy cars tha were were imported to SL by the agents themselves and not JDMs as these cars have the low quality fuel package, which can include different injectors fuel filters and timing adjustments.

But you knew that already, I suppose. :)

If you had a blue B4 as well, and up for sale a few months ago, I might've contacted you too.. Is maintaining a Subaru as expensive as "people" say it is ??? That's something I'd like to know from one who's has had a Subaru in the past, specifically a B4.... & thanx for ur time..

A coupla more questions for all you guys, while thanking all of you for your invaluable input.....

1) Anybody know of a good B4 up for sale ?? I would prefer a TT, and a manual (if I could afford it), since I don't see the point in driving a non-turbo B4 ...

2) Maintenance Costs...... Maintenance Costs......... Is it as extremely expensive as people say it is ???? I would really like the opinion of a Subaru/B4 user.....

Thanks once again guys for the previous replies...... Appreciate it....

But thats a lot of car, isnt it? :)

he had one o those smart cabs, but wanted to buy a B4 and keep the smart cab too. but then hmmm.. wifey wants to drive a smaller car i think.. and he cant afford to get another one.. and smart cab he uses a lot to go to kandy i think... so there u go... thank god my wifey doesnt care.. she liked her swift.. and thats that..

A coupla more questions for all you guys, while thanking all of you for your invaluable input.....

1) Anybody know of a good B4 up for sale ?? I would prefer a TT, and a manual (if I could afford it), since I don't see the point in driving a non-turbo B4 ...

2) Maintenance Costs...... Maintenance Costs......... Is it as extremely expensive as people say it is ???? I would really like the opinion of a Subaru/B4 user.....

Thanks once again guys for the previous replies...... Appreciate it....

ok let me put it to you this way.. if you want to run a B4 you will need to do the maintenance properly... the first service at senok cost me around 18K as i remember.. but didnt have to change the diff oil as the previous owner has done that... expect around 24 to 28K for all oils and filter changes if that is needed. but most likely u will not need to change the fuel filter and air filter at every service.. again subjective of where u are gonna drive it.

and i think they say the oil is good for a good 8000K to 12K. not sure about this..

break pads will cost you at senok around 20K a pair. but it will last u sometime. so when buying make sure u check all these things. the gearbox has has be treated with utmost respect if u are gonna go for for the sportronic... u treat it well it will treat u back the same way..

tires.. its usually 17's low profile.. again ur choice.. roadstones the cheapest but i dont recommend it will set u back around 30K i think with a discount.. but i had pirelli's in it.. that will be around 50 a pair i think.

so when u are buying check the condition of the tires. because u know how much they are gonna cost u.. and they are important.. condition of the break pads and other parts. when the oil change was done and the records.. what ever u do.. u need to go to the agents and get a scan and a test drive done by them before u buy..

and oh yes.. its a twin turbo vehicle assuming u are gonna buy this.. the cooling system in these i found to be very temperamental so get that checked as well.. maybe because of the intense heat we have in SL.

prices are subjective to change.. and usually upwards in SL.. these were 2011 prices.

• Like 1

I bought http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=66265 back in January (Previous user has left without putting down the ad). Following is based on my experience.

A good friend of mine has a tiptronic, I have driven his car quite a bit too (Spirited driving and cruising both). Tiptronic is slower (15hp down on stock anyway) and is less fuel efficient. My manual does 6+kmpl under a combination of traffic, cruising and spirited driving. My friend's tiptronic does 5+kmpl.

Prices range from 1.8m to 2.5m depending on condition. I paid 2.3 since agent highly recommended the condition and history of my car + it's a manual.

Positives...

Decent speed and handling (better on paper than most V6s and I6s)

Leg space is generous compared to regular cars

Build quality is better than regular cars

Looks quite good in my eyes

More comfortable than WRXs

Boxer note, pronounced by Fujitsubo exhaust is such a delight to the ears

Negatives…

Noticeably lower G-forces (driving thrills) than STIs (blame the lower torque and higher weight than STIs)

Engine is “relatively” poor at high revs (blame the lack of forged pistons of STIs), subjectively I prefer the much slower but creamy smooth engine of my wife’s Cefiro

Much less wide than rival mid-sized saloons like Cefiro, on paper B4 is only as wide as an Axio. This means rear passengers get cramped-up when you dump in a baby seat into the back (Personally this is a very big problem for me)

Less comfortable than rival mid-sized saloons like Cefiro

Parts are expensive

Hidden harder plastics here and there demean the build quality

ok let me put it to you this way.. if you want to run a B4 you will need to do the maintenance properly... the first service at senok cost me around 18K as i remember.. but didnt have to change the diff oil as the previous owner has done that... expect around 24 to 28K for all oils and filter changes if that is needed. but most likely u will not need to change the fuel filter and air filter at every service.. again subjective of where u are gonna drive it.

and i think they say the oil is good for a good 8000K to 12K. not sure about this..

break pads will cost you at senok around 20K a pair. but it will last u sometime. so when buying make sure u check all these things. the gearbox has has be treated with utmost respect if u are gonna go for for the sportronic... u treat it well it will treat u back the same way..

tires.. its usually 17's low profile.. again ur choice.. roadstones the cheapest but i dont recommend it will set u back around 30K i think with a discount.. but i had pirelli's in it.. that will be around 50 a pair i think.

so when u are buying check the condition of the tires. because u know how much they are gonna cost u.. and they are important.. condition of the break pads and other parts. when the oil change was done and the records.. what ever u do.. u need to go to the agents and get a scan and a test drive done by them before u buy..

and oh yes.. its a twin turbo vehicle assuming u are gonna buy this.. the cooling system in these i found to be very temperamental so get that checked as well.. maybe because of the intense heat we have in SL.

prices are subjective to change.. and usually upwards in SL.. these were 2011 prices.

Thanks man... Great Help..... I'm taking down notes as I go along.... Thanx again....

Cheers.....

I bought http://www.autolanka...ad.asp?ID=66265 back in January (Previous user has left without putting down the ad). Following is based on my experience.

A good friend of mine has a tiptronic, I have driven his car quite a bit too (Spirited driving and cruising both). Tiptronic is slower (15hp down on stock anyway) and is less fuel efficient. My manual does 6+kmpl under a combination of traffic, cruising and spirited driving. My friend's tiptronic does 5+kmpl.

Prices range from 1.8m to 2.5m depending on condition. I paid 2.3 since agent highly recommended the condition and history of my car + it's a manual.

Positives...

Decent speed and handling (better on paper than most V6s and I6s)

Leg space is generous compared to regular cars

Build quality is better than regular cars

Looks quite good in my eyes

More comfortable than WRXs

Boxer note, pronounced by Fujitsubo exhaust is such a delight to the ears

Negatives…

Noticeably lower G-forces (driving thrills) than STIs (blame the lower torque and higher weight than STIs)

Engine is “relatively” poor at high revs (blame the lack of forged pistons of STIs), subjectively I prefer the much slower but creamy smooth engine of my wife’s Cefiro

Much less wide than rival mid-sized saloons like Cefiro, on paper B4 is only as wide as an Axio. This means rear passengers get cramped-up when you dump in a baby seat into the back (Personally this is a very big problem for me)

Less comfortable than rival mid-sized saloons like Cefiro

Parts are expensive

Hidden harder plastics here and there demean the build quality

This is the first time I've gotten such explanatory responses to any of my queries anywhere..... lmao........

I guess I've got my mind set & my questions answered..... Well, as for the problem with space, I might not have much of a problem since I'm single, hence don't see the requirement for a baby-seat in the back.......

And yeah.... I will keep these in mind....

Thanks mate..

Cheers........

This is the first time I've gotten such explanatory responses to any of my queries anywhere..... lmao........

I guess I've got my mind set & my questions answered..... Well, as for the problem with space, I might not have much of a problem since I'm single, hence don't see the requirement for a baby-seat in the back.......

And yeah.... I will keep these in mind....

Thanks mate..

Cheers........

Then why not go for a 2 seater like Honda Integra Type R? Beautiful high revving engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone has any idea of the history of the Gen 1 Legacy Wagon for sale on the SUnday papers? According to the seller its a H Registration. Guy sounds a bit dodgy with some strange names for the car. WTF is a B3 engine?