• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer Cs3 Clutch Not Working

Gayans87

Hey Guys,

My Lancer had an issue with its clutch today morning, I started it as usual to leave to work and found out that the clutch was very loose and found it very difficult to shift between gears... I open the bonnet every morning as a practice to check on the water and oil situation on which ever car I decide to take out to office, and I was quite sure there was no issues with the clutch fluid in the car....

I had to shut down the engine and start it back up to get the pressure on the clutch back up again so that I could get back home.... There were no oil leaks of any sort in my garage.

My assumption was that the clutch washers might need to be replaced... I faced a similar issue with my toyota crown along time back...

I'm not sure if this could be the issue and look forward to find out if anyone else had gone through the same mishap before... The car will be hitting UM today to get this issue sorted out...

Please advise me on your opinion...

Sometimes when clutch washers go..especially the master cylinder...you wont notice leaks!

It's the slave cylinder that tend to "show" leaks.

If the color of the oil is dark/black...chances are your seals are kapu!

If your ok with mechanicals biits...it's a DIY fix!

If it is the washers, you r lucky, but Lancer CS models have this issure with ther clutch pumps. It fails with out warning if that is the case it would cost u around 16,000 to replace one. Clutch pump comes sealed with the arm and it is not possible to mend it, hence you will have to replace new.

Check it with your mechanic and see.

Hey Guys,

My Lancer had an issue with its clutch today morning, I started it as usual to leave to work and found out that the clutch was very loose and found it very difficult to shift between gears... I open the bonnet every morning as a practice to check on the water and oil situation on which ever car I decide to take out to office, and I was quite sure there was no issues with the clutch fluid in the car....

I had to shut down the engine and start it back up to get the pressure on the clutch back up again so that I could get back home.... There were no oil leaks of any sort in my garage.

My assumption was that the clutch washers might need to be replaced... I faced a similar issue with my toyota crown along time back...

I'm not sure if this could be the issue and look forward to find out if anyone else had gone through the same mishap before... The car will be hitting UM today to get this issue sorted out...

I will get this sorted out by a normal mechanic unless the car is under warranty. UM has a habit of exaggerating problems and replacing entire units that can be safely repaired.

Hey Guys,

Hi Machan

Last year i had the same issue with my CS1. The symptoms are, when you press the clutch you get a humming noise and when shifting gears, you hear a "whrring" like sound. Then the clutch pedal feels very light almost like its hanging by a thread. The issue was a failed clutch plate and the clutch pump as Harry aq mentioned.

You gonna have to buy the clutch pump from the agents and it last year it cost me Rs.17,500/- and the clutch plate non genuine around Rs.4,000/-. Total cost of the repair was Rs.24,000/-. One of my friends did the whole thing with all genuine parts (Clutch plate, preasure plate, clutch pump and some oil sealers) and it has cost him around Rs.60,000/- with labour charges.

I did all that when my car was having 80k on the clock.

Hope this helps..

Cheers!!

Hey Guy,

I couldn't get it to a mechanic on Friday, so I took it today morning... this guy has been looking into all our family cars for ages...

He suggested we should change the clutch pump washers. (the pump which is on the top) so I got to the spare part shop and found out that the washers cannot be purchases separately, It comes with the entire kit... Checked in a couple of places and got the same info from every person.

My only option was to buy the entire Kit which was 2700/- so I did it....Got back and the mechanic fixed it...

Sadly I still was not able to use my clutch :( the only other option was that the master pump which I think its called, should be replaced.

I was told that this was a sealed pump and there was no way to change the washers individually and I had to buy a new one. Spoke to a couple of guys from different places and found out that this pump is a bit on the expensive side and costs about 18,500/- (but its an ok price I guess...)

I was so sad knowing that I will not be able to do anything until Monday... The car is sitting in my garage until then :(

Apparently this pump is within the gearbox and the entire gearbox has to be brought down in order to replace the pump :(

I have replaced the clutch and pressure plates a couple of years ago so I hope they can be used for a little longer...Otherwise I'm gonna be screwed big time if I have to replace the entire system at once... $$$$ 30-60K that's not something I can afford immediately.

Will keep you guys posted with the update on Monday... Thanks again for your info guys... I wish I could have jointed this forum long time ago... Their is soo much I can learn and get advice from awesome people, just an added bonus...!!!!

Hi Mate

As i said earlier the clutch pump was Rs.17,500/- a year ago. Its fare now it has come up to 18,500/-. This part you cannot get from anywhere else but agents. Else local spare shops will be able to get it from Unit#d Mot#rs for you within couple of days.

You are correct, the said pump cant be repaired and you gonna have to buy the entire part. Yes, its located in the gear box and you'll have to bring down the entire thing.

In my case it took more than a week as rusted plugs of the bell housing prevented it from taking out. Had to apply break fluid to the joints over & over again to loosen the joints. Apparently this pump issue is common to CS models and its is advised that you change it when you change your clutch plates.

Cheers.

Hey Guy,

I couldn't get it to a mechanic on Friday, so I took it today morning... this guy has been looking into all our family cars for ages...

He suggested we should change the clutch pump washers. (the pump which is on the top) so I got to the spare part shop and found out that the washers cannot be purchases separately, It comes with the entire kit... Checked in a couple of places and got the same info from every person.

My only option was to buy the entire Kit which was 2700/- so I did it....Got back and the mechanic fixed it...

Sadly I still was not able to use my clutch :( the only other option was that the master pump which I think its called, should be replaced.

I was told that this was a sealed pump and there was no way to change the washers individually and I had to buy a new one. Spoke to a couple of guys from different places and found out that this pump is a bit on the expensive side and costs about 18,500/- (but its an ok price I guess...)

I was so sad knowing that I will not be able to do anything until Monday... The car is sitting in my garage until then :(

Apparently this pump is within the gearbox and the entire gearbox has to be brought down in order to replace the pump :(

I have replaced the clutch and pressure plates a couple of years ago so I hope they can be used for a little longer...Otherwise I'm gonna be screwed big time if I have to replace the entire system at once... $$$$ 30-60K that's not something I can afford immediately.

Will keep you guys posted with the update on Monday... Thanks again for your info guys... I wish I could have jointed this forum long time ago... Their is soo much I can learn and get advice from awesome people, just an added bonus...!!!!

Hey Gayans87,

I have a CS3A and I did a clutch replacement a few months ago. I'm a bit confused here as you have said that the clutch pump is within the gear box. My clutch pump is located right next to the brake master pump and is directly connected to the clutch pedal (the pump which is on top as you have mentioned). The component that's inside the gearbox is the clutch release bearing (fork) which cost me about 18,500 LKR (agents) when I replaced it, and yes it's sealed and the entire unit has to be replaced. :( This is the only hydraulic powered "pump" sort of component within the gearbox that I am aware of.

Clutch release bearing (what the mechanic is holding):

10clutchforkremoval.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck with the repair bro. Keep us posted on what's happening. :)

Edited by Davy

Hey Gayans87,

I have a CS3A and I did a clutch replacement a few months ago. I'm a bit confused here as you have said that the clutch pump is within the gear box. My clutch pump is located right next to the brake master pump and is directly connected to the clutch pedal (the pump which is on top as you have mentioned). The component that's inside the gearbox is the clutch release bearing (fork) which cost me about 18,500 LKR (agents) when I replaced it, and yes it's sealed and the entire unit has to be replaced. :( This is the only hydraulic powered "pump" sort of component within the gearbox that I am aware of.

Clutch release bearing (what the mechanic is holding):

10clutchforkremoval.jpg

Hopw this helps. Good luck with the repair bro. Keep us posted on what's happening. :)

Hi All

Yes Davy is correct. I've made a mistake by referrening the "Clutch release baring/Fork" as clutch pump. I inadvertently kept that in the mind and made the posts. All the other details are correct to my knowledge. Regret if i have made any wrong impression on the topic due to this glitch.

Kind regards

I think you guys have all missed the significance of Rippers post. Every hydraulic system of this sort is a master/slave type of system (hopefully you chaps paid attention during O/L science class so I won't try to bore you with principles). So the master cylinder/pump is located next to the brake system while as the slave is located inside the gearbox and is attached to the release fork. It seems it is the slave that fails, so what you are replacing is not the clutch pump, but the release fork and the slave cylinder assembly which comes as one sealed unit.

I think you guys have all missed the significance of Rippers post. Every hydraulic system of this sort is a master/slave type of system (hopefully you chaps paid attention during O/L science class so I won't try to bore you with principles). So the master cylinder/pump is located next to the brake system while as the slave is located inside the gearbox and is attached to the release fork. It seems it is the slave that fails, so what you are replacing is not the clutch pump, but the release fork and the slave cylinder assembly which comes as one sealed unit.

Yes exactly... :)

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry I think I made a mistake with the name of the clutch release bearing (I called it the master pump).

Anyways guys I had to replace the pump that's in the mechanic hand, 18,900/= at UM... fixed it and pumped the clutch a couple of times and it was good as new again, My clutch and pressure plates are fine and I didn't have to replace them as yet... :)

My car is back on its wheels and running as smooth as ever again :) all's well and i'm heading back to work tomorrow in my Lancer...

Thanks guys for your info, I'm not that good with technical terms so please excuse me if I have made any mistakes in any conversations above.... :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Machan

Last year i had the same issue with my CS1. The symptoms are, when you press the clutch you get a humming noise and when shifting gears, you hear a "whrring" like sound. Then the clutch pedal feels very light almost like its hanging by a thread. The issue was a failed clutch plate and the clutch pump as Harry aq mentioned.

You gonna have to buy the clutch pump from the agents and it last year it cost me Rs.17,500/- and the clutch plate non genuine around Rs.4,000/-. Total cost of the repair was Rs.24,000/-. One of my friends did the whole thing with all genuine parts (Clutch plate, preasure plate, clutch pump and some oil sealers) and it has cost him around Rs.60,000/- with labour charges.

Hope this helps..

Cheers!!

Do u remember the place where u bought the clutch pump.

because im looking for a place where i can buy Mitsubishi cs3 parts for a good price near CMB.

Do u remember the place where u bought the clutch pump.

because im looking for a place where i can buy Mitsubishi cs3 parts for a good price near CMB.

No wonder you can't find anything on the forum. Please read carefully.

Hi Machan

Hope this helps..

Cheers!!

• Like 3