• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smoked Headlights

prvnrox

Question

guys anyone know a place to buy smoked headlights for a civic ek3 96-98??? or can anyone help me to find a place to smoke my headlights with a tint film(smoke film)??i asked several tint places they said they dont tint headlights and none of them are using a heat gun so i guess they cant tint the curves anyway.appeciate ur help guys! thank you!

not only the bulb bro...you would burn the holders coz of the heat generated by the high watts bulbs..try to fix a reliable holder with relay ..Motorcade sells an entire hella branded set for 3k with out bulbs..

yea i get u pericles.just want for the look.thought if i change the bulbs to good ones the visibility wont be a prob.dont u think??

I'm just asking a question coz I don't understand why you would want to do it. Your car, your money.

Just curious as a recorder of light.

guys anyone know a place to buy smoked headlights for a civic ek3 96-98??? or can anyone help me to find a place to smoke my headlights with a tint film(smoke film)??i asked several tint places they said they dont tint headlights and none of them are using a heat gun so i guess they cant tint the curves anyway.appeciate ur help guys! thank you!

'prvnrox',

Kleenpark do use the heat gun heat and paste tint. AS moderator said your head light will not give enough light with a tint on the head lamps.

You may have to use extra two lamps on the buffer wihith HID kits for better lighting to get a good look on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

yea i get u pericles.just want for the look.thought if i change the bulbs to good ones the visibility wont be a prob.dont u think??

Have you realized how a tint keeps the burning hot sunlight OUT of your car? Have you realized how hot your headlights get after a few hours of being on (without any tint)?

Now Imagine all that heat and MORE being locked inside by the tint. Now think of all the plastic parts in there that can (and will) melt in that intense heat.. Oh, and you want to use higher bulbs; So say you use 100W bulbs instead of 55W bulbs. So now you can almost double the amount of heat.

:)

In short, DON't do it.

• Like 4

Easliy do-able as a DIY job but from what i heard i doubt the OP might be able to pull it off.

There are two ways to do it yourself, the wrong way is unfortunately also the most common way which is people color the headlamp cover.This method causes a lot of problems, heat buildup low light etc. Like this (just an example) 36079d1282535104-06-300c-smoked-headlights-100_0548.jpg

The right way to smoke a headlamp (or the most sensible way without a compromise in visibility) would be to only color the outer ring part of the reflectors within the light like this

01393479_p8160040.jpg

But to do this you would have to know how to bake the light and open the case and so on.

Then there is the third alternative, e-bay has plenty of smoked headlights for ek3's (http://www.ebay.com/...id=322828690221)

Then the final option would be to take it to a mod place like Dumi*** International or macvud and replace your current lamps with one of their smoked aftermarket lights.( i say ebay is the best for this cause you would have a bigger selection)

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

Dumi##a Bodykit guy does this, just google him on the net, the place is in Homagama or somewhere.

Kleen park does the clear film for the head lights, and they maybe using the heat gun, so they maybe able to try it out with the normal light, if u are willing to take the risk.

thank you guys for the valuable responses!!! anyways having double thought after the experts views.ah for anyone elses information on smoking headlamps,autopal at narahenpita does it with the tint film and they give a 7 years warranty :)

thank you guys for the valuable responses!!! anyways having double thought after the experts views.ah for anyone elses information on smoking headlamps,autopal at narahenpita does it with the tint film and they give a 7 years warranty :)

They probably garuntee the tint; not the drop in lighting or the heat damage caused to other parts of your lights..

But you seem so keen on doing it.. please go ahead...

They probably garuntee the tint; not the drop in lighting or the heat damage caused to other parts of your lights..

But you seem so keen on doing it.. please go ahead...

Gotta agree: It seems really counter productive to smoke your headlights over and then expect to drive / see / react in time at night on a B road where there is no street-lighting. Probably not much of a concern if you drive real slow or drive only during the day. However a better option overall might be to consider what 'The Stig' posted where you'd colour the outside ring of the reflectors instead.

Edited by Kavvz

do the sense spray paint and upgrade to HIDs. HIDs produce less heat and they are brighter. i have tried that on my brothers motorcycle and he 50k miles on that thing in two years mainly commuting at night

yea um also trying to the painting of outter rings as stig has mentioned.but reluctant to take the risk of taking off the lenses cuz i fear whether it is possible to seal them back in the original way.tinting the headlights as most of u guys say brings more disadvantages.btw guys would it look odd on a maroon colour car? i mean does the smoked headlights go with a maroon car?? :

What's a good place (in or around Colombo) to get this done? Somewhere the techs know what they're doing (don't take the lights off the car) and use a good quality vinyl film? Can someone point me in the right direction, pls?

Cheers!

Guys, any place in Kandy to tint headlights(with vinyl/pvc film) in kandy? Does this stuff really prevent hazing/yellowing due to UV rays? I've seen a lot of cars with a blue tint recently. I wanted to get the stuff down from ebay, but I don't have a hot air gun or any prev experience putting on film.

Thanks in advance....