• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Mazda Demio Thread

Lakshan Maduranga

Hello guys,

I'm planing on buying my first car; a 2009 (December) Mazda Demio. :) I have some questions in my mind. If you have enough time; please be kind enough to answer them. I already searched many previous threads, but couldn't find the exact answers I'm looking for. They may seem like stupid questions; please don't get all mad at me; (I've seen that attitude in previous threads) I'm a total stranger to these vehicle related stuff! Your kind assistance is highly appreciated. :)

1) I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to buy a car from a local car sale (Got a good deal for 2.9 Mil from a reputed vehicle trading company) or directly import one under my name. What do you guys think? What will be the cheapest option? (I won't be needing any assistance from a finance company)

And if your answer is to go for importing under my name;

i.I read I can only import vehicles which are only two years old; what do they mean by two years old? Do they mean since the year of made (YOM) or the year of registration of the car?

ii.What will be the duty (Some rough figure will be okay) I will have to bear?

iii.I have contacts in both Japan and UK; (Not in for business, they are there for education). Will they be able to send me a car? Which will be the cheapest; UK or Japan?

iv.Please suggest (PM me) any reputed/trustworthy vehicle importers you know.

2) If you had to choose between Mazda Demio and Toyota Vitz; what would you choose? and why? (Your personal opinion)

3) Please comment on second hand market of this car.

4) Please comment on fuel economy of this car. (Compared to vitz?)

5) Are there any known issues of this car?

6) Will I be able to find spare parts of this car easily? Who is the agent for Mazda cars in Sri Lanka?

7) Any general info you think I should know?

Thank you very much!!!!!! (For at least reading the whole thing)

Regards! :)

Have a good day!

Edited by Davy

My wife uses a Demio daily and it does 10km/lt for short distance trvelling. Never checked long distance. She bought it for 25.5 lacks in last July(YOM 2007). So far no issue, Fairly good pulling power and nice shape. It is comming with two types of gear boxes. CVT one does more on fuel.

Those days Tax for 3 year old car was around 13 lacks.

agent is car mart but they don't import Demios to my knowledge but spare parts are available at panchi.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for bumping up an ancient thread, thought this is the best place to ask my questions.

I'm on the lookout for a hatch for my parents and I was considering a Demio DE3FS (2007 - 2014). After calling up the best couple of ads posted on the AL classifieds, I found out that all of them have been sold real quick. It does look like the model has a good market. I have a few questions since I'm overseas and don't really get to see how these machines are doing on Sri Lankan roads. Plus this will be the first Mazda I'll be buying.

1. The Demio DE series underwent a facelift in 2011 according to my research, but I could not find any facelift Demios advertised. Arn't any of them around yet?

Pre-facelift (2007 - 2011):

newcar-demio-front-e1296720273908.jpg

Facelift (2011 - 2014): Note the change in the grille, bumper, fog lights:

205379_1.jpg

2. It looks like only the DE3FS (1.3L) is available locally (again, assumption made after going through online ads). Are there any DE5FS (1.5L) examples around?

3. The first Demio I called was a sport with tiptronic gears, red instrument cluster and a full bodykit with strut bars... off the factory. Unfortunately it was gone (this one). What are the chances of there being other Demios of this grade in the country? :)

4. Did an extensive search on trim levels and I found three for the Export model (Mazda 2) - Neo, Maxx and Genki. Neo being the basic and Genki being the fully loaded. But not for the JDM. And looking at the ads on the net, the options look very inconsistent. Does anyone know the actual trim levels of the JDM?

Sorry these are very focussed questions. Many thanks!

Edited by Davy

Well curiosity got th better part of me and checked the goo-net catalogs :)

the pre-facelift grades seem to be:

13C (A/T & M/T) + 13C-V(CVTversion)

13S

15C

15S

Sport

The pre-facelift apparently had some special editions/packages released as well

- Chiara - pretty much a 13C or 13C-V in a funky reddish color

- 13C Smart edition - Mazda's 90th anniversary package

- 13C-V HID edition

For the facelift the initial grades had been

13 SkyActiv

13C

13C-V

13S

15C

15S

Sport

the packages/editions at this stage:

- 13 SkyActiv Smart Stylish

- 13C-V Smart edition

- 13C-V Smart Edition II

Then the grade/trim levels were redefined as:

13 SkyActiv

13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Grace

13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Sport

13C-V Smart Edition II

15C

Sport

Later on introduced with

13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Magenta

13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Sport Dynamic Roof

taking away 13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Sport (later re-introduced towards the end of the production cycle) and 13 SkyActiv Shooting Star Grace

http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/MAZDA/DEMIO/index.html#201404

Well apparently the Sport is 1.5 :) so yes there are 1.5 L Demios since you found one :) If you are referring to the standard C or S grade/trim 1.5 L units...no idea. Going by what is on that list, which usually is pretty comprehensive (about 90%), seems like Mazda gave all the attention and love to the 1.3 variant.

EDIT: Going by the previous model's grades/trims, it could be that C is "CASUAL" and S is "Stylish"

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

1& 2 ) I am yet to see a facelifted demio in SL . May be coz of the hybrid craze people stopped importing demio's .

3. A new one pops up about once in two months in AL . However all the specimens I have seen are white.

4. I think there could be additional options offered by the dealer as well . Since there are ones with key less entry , smart key, steering mounted controls and HID lights though bit difficult to find. For instance my car is 1.3 one with the aero style bumpers just like the sports package.

http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda2/2007-06/exterior-styling/DF71V4051F/

Most of the demios I have seen in SL are very basic ones without the RPM meter and fog lights.

The new Demio , looks very pleasing . Japan car of the year I guess , though yet to see one in SL. :(

Edited by fookie
  • Like 1

Well curiosity got th better part of me and checked the goo-net catalogs :)

WoW! Talk about a comprehensive answer! Thanks a lot iRage! Knew it was something good when I saw your name before opening the thread. :)

So the white Demio was a 1.5 Sport! Should be a rare sight though! Too bad I missed it!

I guess I can now carefully go through the options of each car and get to know the actual grade. Out of all these grades, I don't think I've seen one with the SkyActiv or the one 13C-V with CVT transmission.

So, I will most probably go for a DE3 if another DE5 Sport doesn't pop up any time soon. It's difficult to find one (a DE3) that has all the bells and whistles though. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again!

Edited by Davy

1& 2 ) I am yet to see a facelifted demio in SL . May be coz of the hybrid craze people stopped importing demio's .

3. A new one pops up about once in two months in AL . However all the specimens I have seen are white.

4. I think there could be additional options offered by the dealer as well . Since there are ones with key less entry , smart key, steering mounted controls and HID lights though bit difficult to find. For instance my car is 1.3 one with the aero style bumpers just like the sports package.

http://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda2/2007-06/exterior-styling/DF71V4051F/

Most of the demios I have seen in SL are very basic ones without the RPM meter and fog lights.

The new Demio , looks very pleasing . Japan car of the year I guess , though yet to see one in SL. :(

Thank you!

3. Have you seen other Sport grade Demios besides the one that I've provided the link to?

4. Yes, you maybe right. The goo-net Catalogs shared by iRage above actually has indications as to which options were provided for each model year and some of what you have listed are optional. Hopefully I'll find a fully loaded model with the aero bumpers like yours. :)

I agree on the fact that most of the Demios are basic. I didn't actually know anything about the model before I decided to go for one. After looking around, reading up and going through ads I found out that the ones sold soon are the ones having fog lamps, the RPM meter and the double din player. All of the cars I came across that had multifunction steering did not have the double din screen. I didn't mind that because I found this and this online to address that. :) It connects to the multi-function steering as well (as per the specs).

Since you're an actual owner of the car, any comments that you'd like to make about the car in general? I'm not worried about fuel consumption. I heard that the car handles really well compared to the Vitz and Swift. How's the space inside? And all round visibility?

As for the new Demio, Col0nial Motors is bringing the export version (Mazda 2) down. You will see it on the streets soon I guess.

http://www.mazdalanka.lk/mazda-21.html

• Like 1

3 . Yeah , they pop in time to time , All the sports ones I have seen are white.

4. My ones does not have double din either , since the original player compliments the interior decided to keep it. It's a spacious car relative to it's size. No complains there. However it should not be a concern .

The car handles very well . Steering is very responsive and the road feeling is very good. You can really enjoy it :) May be I am biased but everyone wanted me to buy something else with a toyota badge. But I have not regrets buying this after 6 months of ownership.

You get height adjustment on the seats , so visibility is not a problem. However it could be little bumpy. But you get used to it . That's awesome , I do my services there , however did not see one when I was there last time.

A CVT one would do better in fuel in city traffic however not by much like 1~2 kmpl. My one does about 9 kmpl no matter how I drive.

Before buying just check the front engine mount or the so called gel mount . Could be bit expensive to replace at agents.

• Like 2

3 . Yeah , they pop in time to time , All the sports ones I have seen are white.

4. My ones does not have double din either , since the original player compliments the interior decided to keep it. It's a spacious car relative to it's size. No complains there. However it should not be a concern .

The car handles very well . Steering is very responsive and the road feeling is very good. You can really enjoy it :) May be I am biased but everyone wanted me to buy something else with a toyota badge. But I have not regrets buying this after 6 months of ownership.

You get height adjustment on the seats , so visibility is not a problem. However it could be little bumpy. But you get used to it . That's awesome , I do my services there , however did not see one when I was there last time.

A CVT one would do better in fuel in city traffic however not by much like 1~2 kmpl. My one does about 9 kmpl no matter how I drive.

Before buying just check the front engine mount or the so called gel mount . Could be bit expensive to replace at agents.

3. Good to know that more are out there.

4. I understand about the double din player. I just thought having one opens up options like having a reverse camera and stuff as well. Again, it's good to know that the car is spacious. My father is an average sized person, so I'm hoping he'll be comfortable.

As for enjoyment, it'll be my father who will be enjoying the ride then. I will definitely drive it when I come down for holidays. Watched a few reviews as well and the comments about the bumpiness was mentioned in more than one review. I too assume that it's not something to worry about much, especially because my father will just be driving the car to work about 20km a day (return trip) and maybe a quarterly trip outstation towards Kurunegala, so it should be fine. Fuel is also not much of a concern because he is provided a good portion of fuel by his company.

Thanks for the pointer about the mounts. Most 2009 - 2010 Demios that are up for sale have done between 40,000 - 60,000kms on average, so depending on where and how the car was driven, your point maybe valid. I contacted C0lonial Motors to inquire about spare part availability and they replied saying that they cannot provide information without me providing them a chassis number. It actually looks like C0lonial Motors has built up a good reputation though, regardless of how long C@r M@rt was the agent for Mazda. Apart from the agents, I believe M@zna Motors in Pepiliyana will also undertake repairs for the car. They're supposed to be good.

Thanks again!

LOL you are welcome..

Thank you!

4. Yes, you maybe right. The goo-net Catalogs shared by iRage above actually has indications as to which options were provided for each model year and some of what you have listed are optional. Hopefully I'll find a fully loaded model with the aero bumpers like yours. :)

As for the new Demio, Col0nial Motors is bringing the export version (Mazda 2) down. You will see it on the streets soon I guess.
http://www.mazdalanka.lk/mazda-21.html

What you get on goo-net caalogs is pretty much the manufacturer trims and packages/editions. As fookie mentioned there might have been additional bundles which the dealer might have given out. However, I haven't known Mazda dealerships in Japan to go crazy with these like Toyota dealerships.

I have seen a Mazda 2 with the body kit and wheels...no idea if it was an actual sports package or just a dress up.

My uncle in-law ordered a diesel Demio in late October and he got his car second week of January, so the new Demio started getting delivered only recently. You do see quite a few of them for sale now but I guess no one is bringing them over because there isn't a Hybrid option and for the permit there are quite a few other larger alternatives.

• Like 1

Let me add my 2 cents here.

1. I've see only 1 face-lifted one in all my life. I guess it should be very difficult to find.

2 & 3. I came across 3 DE5FSs in AL during last 12 months. All were in white as fookie said.

4. Again, most Demios in SL are basic ones as fookie said. I've found a 2007 DE3FS with CVT, HID, factory alloys and multi-function steering about a year ago (which I bought :sport-smiley-004: ). Rare one to find though.

Demio is bumpier compared to other cars in the category. It's not bad as long as you stick to the original shocks at least to the front. Using KYBs to the front was worst thing I've done to the car. So, my advice is to use originals at least to the front.

I owned a Maruti 800 and Corolla AE100 previously. Those are the only cars I have experience with. Demio is a better car by a country mile. Two of my friends who own a Toyota IST 2004 and a Honda Civic EK3 1998 drove my car. They loved the Demio over theirs as far as the handling is concerned.

Colonial Motors and Mazna Motors are taking a good care of Mazdas. Nothing to worry in that department.

Finally the fuel figures. It returns me about 9km/l in Colombo. I drive in the heaviest of traffics with heavy throttle to drop my wife to the office in time :speechless-smiley-006: . I guess the figures are not bad considering that. I got 19.55 km/l @ 90km/h on the Southern high way. It has always given me 16+ km/l in outstation regardless of how I drive (I keep records with "My Cars" mobile app. So I have all figures with me. :sport-smiley-003: ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me add my 2 cents here.

1. I've see only 1 face-lifted one in all my life. I guess it should be very difficult to find.

2 & 3. I came across 3 DE5FSs in AL during last 12 months. All were in white as fookie said.

4. Again, most Demios in SL are basic ones as fookie said. I've found a 2007 DE3FS with CVT, HID, factory alloys and multi-function steering about a year ago (which I bought :sport-smiley-004: ). Rare one to find though.

Demio is bumpier compared to other cars in the category. It's not bad as long as you stick to the original shocks at least to the front. Using KYBs to the front was worst thing I've done to the car. So, my advice is to use originals at least to the front.

I owned a Maruti 800 and Corolla AE100 previously. Those are the only cars I have experience with. Demio is a better car by a country mile. Two of my friends who own a Toyota IST 2004 and a Honda Civic EK3 1998 drove my car. They loved the Demio over theirs as far as the handling is concerned.

Colonial Motors and Mazna Motors are taking a good care of Mazdas. Nothing to worry in that department.

Finally the fuel figures. It returns me about 9km/l in Colombo. I drive in the heaviest of traffics with heavy throttle to drop my wife to the office in time :speechless-smiley-006: . I guess the figures are not bad considering that. I got 19.55 km/l @ 90km/h on the Southern high way. It has always given me 16+ km/l in outstation regardless of how I drive (I keep records with "My Cars" mobile app. So I have all figures with me. :sport-smiley-003: ).

Thank you for the response.

1. Makes sense as to why the facelift version is nowhere to be seen on ads. Like fookie has said above, it could be due that importers are reluctant on bringing down non-hybrids. Especially when it comes to hatchbacks since there are options like the Fit Hybrid and the Aqua.

2. There's more in existence then than I initially anticipated.

4. Lucky you. Hopefully I'll find a similar one. I found out that the factory spec fog light kit is also available on eBay, similar to the double din conversion kit. So I'm wondering whether it's okay to go for one without them. The tachometer is a must and CVT is nice to have.

Glad to know that the agents and third party workshops are good as well. It's just about finding a good example now.

4. I have come across quite a few so called basic Demios which got techometer (like this). I think you can easily go for something like that and fix the bells and whistles you want on top of that. My one too got a double din conversion kit installed on it.

• Like 1

4. I have come across quite a few so called basic Demios which got techometer (like this). I think you can easily go for something like that and fix the bells and whistles you want on top of that. My one too got a double din conversion kit installed on it.

That's actually the second car I called and this too is sold. :( This actually is not a basic version right? It does have fog lamps, double din dash, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers and so on. The only thing I see missing are projector headlamps and multi-function steering.

I'm currently doing exactly what you said and looking for one with a tachometer... and CVT possible. If it has fog lights and the double din dash, then great! If not, I'll probably buy the kit and install them I guess. Did you fix the double din conversion kit after you bought the car or was it there when you got it? I hope the multi-funciton controls work on the aftermarket player; I believe they do.

Yeah, my bad. It was not a basic one. One of my friends at the office had a Demio which had the techometer, but the rest of the car was basic. I thought this one was the same. Btw, auto headlamps and auto wipers are standard options.

Double din was there when I bought this. I got the original too from the previous owner. The conversion was done by Pet#o Lanka. Yes, multi-function works fine with the current player.

• Like 1

Just a thought Davy, are you open to a Ford Fiesta, which is kind of the same car with a Ford badge on it :)? I think they go for a bit less....

But then again since its for your family and you are abroad, maybe its best to have something for which parts (in this case body parts) are everywhere....

Yeah, my bad. It was not a basic one. One of my friends at the office had a Demio which had the techometer, but the rest of the car was basic. I thought this one was the same. Btw, auto headlamps and auto wipers are standard options.

Double din was there when I bought this. I got the original too from the previous owner. The conversion was done by Pet#o Lanka. Yes, multi-function works fine with the current player.

Thanks, Good to know that the dash can be locally converted.

Just a thought Davy, are you open to a Ford Fiesta, which is kind of the same car with a Ford badge on it :)? I think they go for a bit less....

But then again since its for your family and you are abroad, maybe its best to have something for which parts (in this case body parts) are everywhere....

Thanks for the suggestion The Don. I actually thought about this, but I couldn't find any Fiesta hatchbacks around. About spares, yes it's kind of an important factor and I'd rather have my father find spares easily. He used to love getting grease under his fingernails, but not so much now.

Thanks, Good to know that the dash can be locally converted.

Thanks for the suggestion The Don. I actually thought about this, but I couldn't find any Fiesta hatchbacks around. About spares, yes it's kind of an important factor and I'd rather have my father find spares easily. He used to love getting grease under his fingernails, but not so much now.

Ford agent didnt import any fiesta hatches until 2014 or so. If I remember correctly there are only about 1 or 2 of them. Fiesta comes with a 1.4ltr engine unlike the Demio. I think one of them has the voice command system also in it. All fiesta cars in sl are fully loaded ones.

• Like 1

Ford agent didnt import any fiesta hatches until 2014 or so. If I remember correctly there are only about 1 or 2 of them. Fiesta comes with a 1.4ltr engine unlike the Demio. I think one of them has the voice command system also in it. All fiesta cars in sl are fully loaded ones.

Thanks! The few hatches that are around should be facelift examples then. They've taken a good looking car and made it look even better. It's very popular in Australia and the two door Fiesta ST is also seen occasionally.

Anyway, I'm guessing the price of the fiesta hatch is gonna be a bit over my budget at the moment though.

The new ones are facelift. The older ones are pre-facelift (all sedans). You can actually get hold of a 2011 Fiesta for like 2.4 mill. And if you live in Australia, maintaining the car will be very easy since you can find cheap spares and the agent doesn't mind installing owner-supplied spares. The agent has been successfully house-trained :)

The new ones are facelift. The older ones are pre-facelift (all sedans). You can actually get hold of a 2011 Fiesta for like 2.4 mill. And if you live in Australia, maintaining the car will be very easy since you can find cheap spares and the agent doesn't mind installing owner-supplied spares. The agent has been successfully house-trained :)

Good to know. :) There's actually one 2011 Fiesta sedan on the classifieds for 2.8M.

I just checked the agent's site, and the facelift that they have in SL seems to be different (in terms of looks) from the one in Australia.

This is the facelift version in Australia:

14160890711148622824.jpg

They haven't updated the website. What's in the showroom is exactly same as the one you have posted. There aren't many of those in Sri lanka though. May be 2.

What's on the site is the pre-facelift one. There are quite a few of those on the roads. All of them are sedans. The one advertised here is actually a beautiful colour. U need to keep that waxed and polished to show the real looks of it.