• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Datsun: Coming Back?

ash

It's been more than two decades since Nissan Motors phased out its Datsun brand to strengthen its own company name.

But times and circumstances changes and here we are with Nissan now planning to wake up its old Datsun brand from the dead, according to a report from Japanese business daily Nikkei that was forwarded by Reuters.

Datsun-1%2B-%2BCopy.pngThe newspaper said that Nissan wants to use the Datsun brand name on a new lineup of low cost vehicles tailor made for emerging markets starting from 2014. The move is reminiscent of Renault's decision to buy out the Romanian automaker Dacia in 1999 for the same purpose.

Nikkei said that Datsun's new range of vehicles will be priced at around 500,000 yen (equal to US$6,200 or €4,630 at the current exchange rates) and at launch will be manufactured and sold in India, Indonesia and Russia.

Nissan officials told the newspaper that they expect annual sales of around 300,000 units.

c/o CARSCOOP

6142020002large.jpg

datsunhistoricscarscoop.jpg

• Like 3

Bring back the low cost, economical and reliable Datsuns!! Its a historic brand in Japan and I believe the name Dat had roots with the first Japanese car. So Nissan gets its own three brand names. Infiniti (premium), Nissan and then the low cost Datsun.

Latest;

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/261679/

wow this is good news thanks for sharing ash. :)

Oh well, not great news if they gonna roll out low cost FWD junk.. Passos, Yarisses, Altos, Bultos and the like.. That market segment is flooded with choices already..

For heaven`s sake why cant any manufacturer do a cheap RWD car anymore.!! A sub 20k dollar RWD car..!! why cant they resurrect the Datto 1600 or the b210..!! :(

Oh well, not great news if they gonna roll out low cost FWD junk.. Passos, Yarisses, Altos, Bultos and the like.. That market segment is flooded with choices already..

For heaven`s sake why cant any manufacturer do a cheap RWD car anymore.!! A sub 20k dollar RWD car..!! why cant they resurrect the Datto 1600 or the b210..!! :(

Yep why not bring in a Roadster like that on Ash's article. Hope the old Sylvia's will make a come back.

thumbs up to that Bro....i mean why cant these buggers go for a decent RWD brand with all the modern stuff in the package like maybe a more modern B210

i'm guessing the building cost is the main factor they all gone FWD and i all so hope they build cheap affordable RWD cars but sadly there is a high chance they build FWD cars under datsun name. :(

Yep why not bring in a Roadster like that on Ash's article. Hope the old Sylvia's will make a come back.

amen to that. :grinning-smiley-003:

• 2 weeks later...

i'm guessing the building cost is the main factor they all gone FWD and i all so hope they build cheap affordable RWD cars but sadly there is a high chance they build FWD cars under datsun name. :(

Yes I know that the cost is a major fact. The sub 25,000 dollar car market segment is huge in the world market. If a FWD mid sized sedan is going for 21k dollars, I cant understand why they cant do a RWD for 24k. Surely buyers will pay the extra 3k for driving pleasure, I know I would. It doesn't have to be a rocket ship or a fancy coupe, but an honest RWD mid sized car. And it`ll surely give freaking over-priced Bimmers a run for their money..!

• 1 year later...

Well thought of resurrecting this thread.

Got bad news for the people who were expecting the old school cars to come back; http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/datsuns-revival-wont-be-nostaglia-play-147825

And it is noted that the platforms will be off the Lada's.

On a side note I was watching the qualifying of the WTCC first round and the Lada's seem to do ok in their first go. One car ran very well even with a full side on impact and was 9th in qualifying, says a lot about the car.

Surely for that price a manufacturer should be able to resurrect the Morris Minors etc etc which could be fixed by any maka baas at the remotest area of the country!!!

Not that everything in Wikipedia is correct but this is what it says about the "Datsun" name. Trust this is true as I remember reading similar kind of story in a magazine article around the time Nissan was phasing out Datsun name.

"Datsun is an automobile marque. The name was created in 1931 by the DAT Motorcar Co. for a new car model, spelling it as "Datson" to indicate its smaller size when compared to the existing, larger DAT car. In 1934,[1] after Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. took control of DAT Motorcar Co., the last syllable of Datson was changed to "sun", because "son" also means "loss" (損) in Japanese, and also to honour the sun depicted in the national flag, hence the name "Datsun" : Dattosan (ダットサン, Dattosan?).[2] Nissan phased out the Datsun brand in March 1986. The Datsun name is most famous for the 510, Fairlady roadsters and later the Fairlady (240Z) coupes. On March 20, 2012, it was announced that Nissan will revive the brand for use in Indonesia, South Africa, India and Russia.[3]" [unquote]
Edited by HardHat

Not that everything in Wikipedia is correct but this is what it says about the "Datsun" name. Trust this is true as I remember reading similar kind of story in a magazine article around the time Nissan was phasing out Datsun name.
"Datsun is an automobile marque. The name was created in 1931 by the DAT Motorcar Co. for a new car model, spelling it as "Datson" to indicate its smaller size when compared to the existing, larger DAT car. In 1934,[1] after Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. took control of DAT Motorcar Co., the last syllable of Datson was changed to "sun", because "son" also means "loss" (損) in Japanese, and also to honour the sun depicted in the national flag, hence the name "Datsun" : Dattosan (ダットサン, Dattosan?).[2] Nissan phased out the Datsun brand in March 1986. The Datsun name is most famous for the 510, Fairlady roadsters and later the Fairlady (240Z) coupes. On March 20, 2012, it was announced that Nissan will revive the brand for use in Indonesia, South Africa, India and Russia.[3]" [unquote]

I think the first part is a bit doubtful, Nissan was a Manchurian company and after the war they took over DAT and renamed it Datson meaning son of DAT. DAT where the first letters in the names of three people who financed the production. It was later that they changed the name to Datsun.

This part was off an old Readers Digest that I have at home will try to attach a pic of the story.

Edit: Well you dont need the RD mag here's the full story; http://www.datsunhistory.com/home.html Check the history part.

Edited by Gummybr

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...