• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kandy Night Races

pontiac_gto

dude i got a haircut 2 days before the race. should have seen me before the hair cut with the red tint :P

hey schiffer you look like thappeta gadol adda wage nice look for you btw. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The kandy night race will be held for the 3rd consecutive year on a grand scale on 17th and 18th may 2013.

Rehearsals will be held on the 17th and the race on 18th from 6pm onwards.....
Live coverage by CARLTON SPORT NETWORK (CSN)

Maximum security is provided by the sri lanka army. The night races are held as a coordinated effort of SMSC and KORAC..

Join in the live experience and celebrate speed.....

Tickets will be available at the gate (Rs 100/-)

Entries and further details
Contact

KORAC -
Race Chairmen .
Rohan Dhammapala
Race Secretary.
Asitha Wijetunga

SMSC -
Joint president .
Porf. Oscar Amarasingha
Joint secretary
Dimuth babaravanage

• 1 year later...
Interesting majority of the sponsors are state owned entities. Here a question for all you Kandy boys, what are your thoughts on the night races? There's lot of talk on it in the press these days.

My opinion ..... Kandy City should'nt be a place for these night races. There are list of reasons from my point of view. Some will agree, some will disagree.

• Like 1

my opinion, There should be night races. Yes kandy is a heritage city but that doesnt mean there aren't petrol heads here. some who just doesnt have the chance to go to colombo to view races.

you see that on the race day when whole families come to watch the races cheering and just being happy for once and the streets are filled with people

Kandy is sort of lifeless most of the time, we dont get much events here and its just for 2 days (practice and race day) and that too at Night.

so why not let the kandy people enjoy just for 1 night out of a whole year.

Edited by Schiffer
  • Like 3

I agree with Schiffer, its just 2 nights what real harm could it do to the city? But imo its wise to avoid the roads surrounding the Dalada Maligawa. Would be interesting running around the kandy lake road say upto Ampitiya junction, by passing the city.

Anyways seems like they have given the green light :)

Prelate allows Kandy night races for the last time
Tuesday, 24 June 2014 18:10
emailButton.png printButton.png

Ven60.gifAsgiriya Chapter Mahanayake the Most Ven. Udugama Sri Buddharakkitha Thera said today he would allow the night races to be held in Kandy this weekend for the last time after considering a plea made by the organisers on the heavy costs of organizing such races.

Ven. Buddharakkita Thera told the media after attending an almsgiving at the Kandy District Secretariat for 52 Buddhist monks that he had earlier protested over the motor races, but had consented to it after a plea by the organizers who had made all the arrangements at a massive expense.

The prelate said he would never consent to night races to be held in Kandy in the future and pointed out that the motor races would be held only in the Bogambara grounds and the roads around the prisons and not on any of the roads surrounding the Sri Dalada Maligawa. (J.A.L. Jayasinghe)

http://www.dailymirror.lk/news/48850-prelate-allows-kandy-night-races-for-the-last-time.html

• Like 1

my opinion, There should be night races. Yes kandy is a heritage city but that doesnt mean there aren't petrol heads here. some who just doesnt have the chance to go to colombo to view races.

you see that on the race day when whole families come to watch the races cheering and just being happy for once and the streets are filled with people

Kandy is sort of lifeless most of the time, we dont get much events here and its just for 2 days (practice and race day) and that too at Night.

so why not let the kandy people enjoy just for 1 night out of a whole year.

Kandy is one boring city.......

Watched it, on TV. Seems to be it's all about getting the pole position. I was eager to see some drifting in the clock tower bend, isn't it perfect bend for that..

Edited by MkX