• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fb15- Attaching A Passenger Side Airbag

sbr

Question

My FB15 car is a basic model which does not have a factory fitted passenger side airbag. I am planing to attach a passenger side air bag to this car. An expert please help me on the following problems i have.

1) I wonder whether it is possible to do this ?(currently there is a dummy pannel covering the place where the passenger air

bag should be)

2) Can we just buy a passenger side air bag and plug it ? What other modifications/ parts do i need to have other than

providing power to the new air bag ?.

Experts please help on this. ..Appriciate if any one could recommend a good place for this modification

16 answers to this question

The only place anyone should be recommending you do this is at the Nissan agent where presumably they have trained technicians who know how to replace airbags that have deployed (i.e. activated). I cannot stress this highly enough but do NOT attempt fitting one yourself unless you absolutely know what you're doing. If you're asking the question here (do I just plug it in?) you should not attempt it. Airbag modules need to be handled with extreme caution as they can be set off just by ESD (electrostatic disharge) at the pins and so must have the pins shorted out till the very last second it is plugged in to the wiring loom.

You can be hurt *very* badly if you don't take extreme care to ensure no voltage (static or otherwise) is applied to the connector's pins & it blows in your face. Good luck!

PS If you're curious to know exactly what's involved, download the workshop service manual for any recent car and have a read through the pages dealing with airbag replacement and disposal.

But I say let the Darwinian process take place. You go and fix one machang!!!

true, true. I guess and "aftermarket" airbag system would increase the value for 200k right?

If I were OP I would get a really good life insurance policy on my wife or whoever sits on the passenger seat the most..... Just saying.

Edited by jdnet

My FB15 car is a basic model which does not have a factory fitted passenger side airbag. I am planing to attach a passenger side air bag to this car. An expert please help me on the following problems i have.

1) I wonder whether it is possible to do this ?(currently there is a dummy pannel covering the place where the passenger air

bag should be)

2) Can we just buy a passenger side air bag and plug it ? What other modifications/ parts do i need to have other than

providing power to the new air bag ?.

Experts please help on this. ..Appriciate if any one could recommend a good place for this modification

As some members have alluded to, fixing of an air bag is not a simple case of buying a used air bag and panel and placing it in place of the dummy panel. First you have to understand how the air bag system works. The air bag system is controlled by an air bag ECU which gets input from a number of sensors located around the car. Now this sensor array might be different from a single air bag version. The ECU maybe different, the wire harnesses maybe different, plus say that you have sourced all of this the used air bag might not actually work (air bags have a finite life time and need to be replaced after a while. The air bag ECU should indicate when it is due).

So if you just want one for vanity purposes then its a simple job, but if you want it to actually work, that might prove to be a lot more difficult. The only thing going for you is manufacturers tend to use same components on different vehicles in an effort to reduce cost, so you might find the wiring and the clips are already there, but you won't know until you start because frankly I don't know anybody who has done this before.

As some members have alluded to, fixing of an air bag is not a simple case of buying a used air bag and panel and placing it in place of the dummy panel. First you have to understand how the air bag system works. The air bag system is controlled by an air bag ECU which gets input from a number of sensors located around the car. Now this sensor array might be different from a single air bag version. The ECU maybe different, the wire harnesses maybe different, plus say that you have sourced all of this the used air bag might not actually work (air bags have a finite life time and need to be replaced after a while. The air bag ECU should indicate when it is due).

So if you just want one for vanity purposes then its a simple job, but if you want it to actually work, that might prove to be a lot more difficult. The only thing going for you is manufacturers tend to use same components on different vehicles in an effort to reduce cost, so you might find the wiring and the clips are already there, but you won't know until you start because frankly I don't know anybody who has done this before.

My only question is, WHY????

Understood. Never thought it is going to be a such complex process. The actual intention was to get more security to the passengers considering the fact that i regulary use the highway these days. Anyway thanks all for your valuable comments..

• Like 1

Understood. Never thought it is going to be a such complex process. The actual intention was to get more security to the passengers considering the fact that i regulary use the highway these days. Anyway thanks all for your valuable comments..

Just wear seat belt and you will be fine. The main thing that will keep you from dying is not the airbag, it's the seatbelt. When your time comes you gotta go. You could die of many other things.Unless you want to live in a bomb shelter for the rest of your life, I think it's best to not worry about dying.

just check the wiring of your car ........if it s there, then it s not going to be a big job,,,,, i think it should be there. once i have converted a basic mazda bj5p in to a one with power windows and retractable mirrors, and the wiring was there - so it was just a plug in, (but i didn t touch the air bags there ) ............you will have to find an experienced electrician who is familiar about the ECU work, and let him examine your car....... he will tell it

just check the wiring of your car ........if it s there, then it s not going to be a big job,,,,, i think it should be there. once i have converted a basic mazda bj5p in to a one with power windows and retractable mirrors, and the wiring was there - so it was just a plug in, (but i didn t touch the air bags there ) ............you will have to find an experienced electrician who is familiar about the ECU work, and let him examine your car....... he will tell it

ah another "expert"

Listen. Power windows and airbags are two completely different things. For power windows to work you don't need sensors or an ECU that can signal (for the lack of a better term) it to work. If you don't know what you are talking about please don't post b.s. ok? now please try not to come bacck crying like the other "experts" here.

"just check the wiring of your car ........if it s there, then it s not going to be a big job,,,,,"

This just made me laugh. Thanks.

Where will you find the accelerometers?

You guys think that the airbag is a toy, eh? You think it's something that a place like Chamara Stickers can put up like Wanker Mirrors and a 3M tint or a set of chrome door handles?

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1

If you're THAT concerned for safe being of the passenger it is more practical to sell the car and buy another that has dual air bags.OR as JD said just keep the car and wear the seat belts mate that should keep you safe 99% of the time.Also no amount of extra air bags can save you if you drive like a moron.