• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Civic Cold Starting Cvt Transmission

ms.leena

When my car is not in use for a while, I have to "warm" it up for about 20-25mins before I pull off. If I don't do that, the gears will not engage unless I press the gas pedal to about 2000-3000rpm, and then it jerks really hard before moving. While driving though, I have no problem. The problem only occurs when the car is cold. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

definitly this should be a gear box oil problem. have you done oil change every 25000kms? use only honda cvt gearbox oil.

agreed, i think its an oil issue as well. make sure the level of oil is right.

25,000km ? Stafford says to do it ever 20,000 but its recommended for 15,000 if the car is normally driven in heavy traffic.

• Like 1

My humble 2 cents, fellow autolankans: I had the exact same problem OP described. Changing the oil only Burnt an 8000 rupee hole in my pocket. Had to repair the gearbox.

It happens because the oil filters and pressure washers in the box have degraded. The oil then isn't pushed through the mechanicals of the box when it's "cold" and more viscous. It needs the engine rpm to develop more pressure, and then it suddenly shoots thru when u pass 2000-3000. Once the oil heats up, the viscosity lessens and the jerk goes away.

Basically the filters and washers need to be replaced. And if you keep driving the car with this problem, the ratchets on the cvt torque-transfer cones will wear out fr, further worsening the problem, causing the belt to slip, damaging the belt, and eventually making the car less efficient (the latter, to my petrolhead heart, being the least of the aforementioned worries)

My box was bad when I bought the car. Learned the hard way. RepaIred it, and replaced the torque transfer cones as well. Belt was in good nick. Cost 22k. A new box is much more than that and you wouldn't know the condition of a recon part til u use it...

Just my experience I'm sharing. I don't mean to contradict anyone here. But I lived and breathed EK3 for quite some time. And the fact that it fetched 19.25 on the market speaks for how lovingly I maintained it.

• Like 1

My humble 2 cents, fellow autolankans: I had the exact same problem OP described. Changing the oil only Burnt an 8000 rupee hole in my pocket. Had to repair the gearbox.

It happens because the oil filters and pressure washers in the box have degraded. The oil then isn't pushed through the mechanicals of the box when it's "cold" and more viscous. It needs the engine rpm to develop more pressure, and then it suddenly shoots thru when u pass 2000-3000. Once the oil heats up, the viscosity lessens and the jerk goes away.

Basically the filters and washers need to be replaced. And if you keep driving the car with this problem, the ratchets on the cvt torque-transfer cones will wear out fr, further worsening the problem, causing the belt to slip, damaging the belt, and eventually making the car less efficient (the latter, to my petrolhead heart, being the least of the aforementioned worries)

My box was bad when I bought the car. Learned the hard way. RepaIred it, and replaced the torque transfer cones as well. Belt was in good nick. Cost 22k. A new box is much more than that and you wouldn't know the condition of a recon part til u use it...

Just my experience I'm sharing. I don't mean to contradict anyone here. But I lived and breathed EK3 for quite some time. And the fact that it fetched 19.25 on the market speaks for how lovingly I maintained it.

This may happend due to bad maintanance only right? changing oil and filers may lead the long run without any issue

• 7 months later...

I also have a same kind of problem in my ek3

From where did you get it fixed ? and any contact number please...

• 9 months later...

Hi ,

I have an ek3 VTi and earlier I had the same problem , when the engine is cold I had to wait for sometime or I need to get the rpm around 3000 or so to get the car running.

But like 2 days ago , when I am driving at lower gears , the car vibrates and that goes away when I reach around 60Km/h .

Anyone had a similer problem before ?

pls help

thank you -

found out one of my front tyres are causing the problem , need to replace and thus the vibration... :(

and abt the gearbox problem , i heard that a new kind of oil is there to replace the origional Honda CVT along with some filters and stuff costing around 18000.

anyone have any idea abt that ? or done the same with any results ?

thank you -

found out one of my front tyres are causing the problem , need to replace and thus the vibration... :(

and abt the gearbox problem , i heard that a new kind of oil is there to replace the origional Honda CVT along with some filters and stuff costing around 18000.

anyone have any idea abt that ? or done the same with any results ?

Sam9 I would never ever recommend any other CVT oil for Honda EK3 CVT box (Multimatic). And leaving Honda original oil for some other brand will most likely cause severe damage for your gear box.

Above discussed issues seems to be early signs of CVT gear box failures in EK3. Get it diagnosed properly before it's too late.

And as Komi rightly said, changing oil only will not help to solve the problem. May be you'll feel good for couple of days but it will not solve it. As a Honda lover, EK3 is my personal favorite. And there are few good Vi and ViRS with CVT boxes left in the country. Please don't ruin them.

• Like 1

Yes I know, and really appreciate your interest on ek3.

its a risk to do that and that's why I am looking for anyone who has any experience by any chance.

The car never gives any trouble and runs like a baby except for this annoying thing after every cold start and I am in the look for the best option.

I called Embuldeniya Auto-box repair person and told will cost around 50 000 for a CVT repair and he suggest for a new box costing at least 80k . :o

The car never gives any trouble and runs like a baby except for this annoying thing after every cold start and I am in the look for the best option.

I called Embuldeniya Auto-box repair person and told will cost around 50 000 for a CVT repair and he suggest for a new box costing at least 80k . :o

As I remember about year or year half ago there was about one month shortage for Honda CVT oil at agents. Few guys actually stopped running their ViRS for couple of weeks as they reached the oil change period. If you already have this don't keep using the car.. take it to proper place or agents to rectify it.

Reason for the jerk is that CVT oil don't produce enough torque to rotate the output shaft in the gear box. This can happen only in two cases, either you used the car too long without oil change, or as Komi said the internal parts are not functioning. In either case the best option is to inspect it before running in this condition.

As I remember about year or year half ago there was about one month shortage for Honda CVT oil at agents. Few guys actually stopped running their ViRS for couple of weeks as they reached the oil change period. If you already have this don't keep using the car.. take it to proper place or agents to rectify it.

Reason for the jerk is that CVT oil don't produce enough torque to rotate the output shaft in the gear box. This can happen only in two cases, either you used the car too long without oil change, or as Komi said the internal parts are not functioning. In either case the best option is to inspect it before running in this condition.

My car had this problem when I bought the car like an year ago but I did not see it when purchasing. The oil was bad and did a change just after the purchase from the agent , and the morning jerk was there . I think the previous owners had already given the cvt box a hard time already. My oil is new and had run like 7000/-kms since the change .

Anyway like you suggest I need to do a proper gearbox checkup rather than running at this situation.

Yes its clear then that previous owners have not done the maintenance properly. Any way as per your description I think you have either EK3 Vi or ViRS with manual standard or sports mode selection options. Still this is a good ride. Good luck with the repair.

honda need to hire a better engneers to design there transmissions. I just love their engines but some transmissions are nighmares no matter how well you maintain or how you easy you drive it.

My past experiences

05 Civic Hybrid CVT: bad starter clutch

05 Honda odyssey: bad tranny

00 Acura TL: bad tranny

if you own a honda always use genuine honda ATF and change it earlier than factory recomendation.

Bad luck , the car is not moving now

When I put to D , it does not move , when I change the gear for R , still the D is blinking .

Has anybody come across with such scenario and any recommandations on a place to fix it and cost it took ?

Will I need to swap a gearbox ?

Bad luck , the car is not moving now

When I put to D , it does not move , when I change the gear for R , still the D is blinking .

Has anybody come across with such scenario and any recommandations on a place to fix it and cost it took ?

Will I need to swap a gearbox ?

Oh sad indeed. Going through your thread shows that you had early symptoms of gear box issue too. Topic started in 2012 october. So if you drove the car all this period with the issue or temporary remeady, now it may be beyond reparable. Best is getting it checked at Agents and get a picture of what really went wrong.

BTW I just sold my EK3 after 4 and half years of taking care of her. :(

• 1 month later...