• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

About Lancer Cb2A 1994

hrm

Question

Hi friends,

I had recently bought above car (Lancer CB2A) and this is my first car. It was a 1994 brandnew manual transmission with 4G15 engine (Carb). It has about 164K logged. Had done few running repairs like clutch adjustment , fixing radiator fan issue recently and didn't had any more troubles for now. Previous owner said the timing belt was replaced recently and also had new battery and tires.

Just want to know whether there are any known issues exist for this particular model and also would like to hear some expert advices from you guys on maintaining her. I'm not a daily runner and use the car only in Weekends.

Thanks in advance !

4 answers to this question

Hi friends,

I had recently bought above car (Lancer CB2A) and this is my first car. It was a 1994 brandnew manual transmission with 4G15 engine (Carb). It has about 164K logged. Had done few running repairs like clutch adjustment , fixing radiator fan issue recently and didn't had any more troubles for now. Previous owner said the timing belt was replaced recently and also had new battery and tires.

Just want to know whether there are any known issues exist for this particular model and also would like to hear some expert advices from you guys on maintaining her. I'm not a daily runner and use the car only in Weekends.

Thanks in advance !

Hi HRM,

I own a Mirage which is roughly based on the same chassis though my one has a 4G91 engine in it. If it was my car this is what I would do.

1. Change the timing belt and water pump etc if the previous owner did now show you a receipt for work done with the mileage recorded on the receipt. This job will cost about 10-15K but will save you a lot of hassle and worry and I recommend anybody to do this when they buy a new car.

2. Get the radiator cleaned, doesn't cost a lot of money but at this age its probably a little clogged up. Again will save you hassle particularly on longer journeys. Get it refilled with either water mixed with coolant or 100% coolant as your car will be sitting for long periods and this will help slow down oxidation.

3. Service the air conditioning system and the compressor. The original rotary compressors on these Lancers are a bit fragile so you need to take good care of them.

4. Park the car in a shade away from direct sunlight. The dashboard plastics deteriorate quite badly due to UV and in many examples the vents etc have fallen off. If your car still has them protect them like gold as they are like gold dust to find to replace (I did this in my car)!

5. Keep an eye on rust patches, easier to fix these up when they are small and not very wide spread. Seal any leaks straight away!

6. Service the car at least every six months even if not being used. Use a mineral oil not a synthetic as this seems to work better in vehicles that don't get a lot of use.

To be honest these are fairly reliable robust cars, just take care of her like you would normally do and should give you many years of happy motoring.

• Like 1

Hi HRM,

I own a Mirage which is roughly based on the same chassis though my one has a 4G91 engine in it. If it was my car this is what I would do.

1. Change the timing belt and water pump etc if the previous owner did now show you a receipt for work done with the mileage recorded on the receipt. This job will cost about 10-15K but will save you a lot of hassle and worry and I recommend anybody to do this when they buy a new car.

2. Get the radiator cleaned, doesn't cost a lot of money but at this age its probably a little clogged up. Again will save you hassle particularly on longer journeys. Get it refilled with either water mixed with coolant or 100% coolant as your car will be sitting for long periods and this will help slow down oxidation.

3. Service the air conditioning system and the compressor. The original rotary compressors on these Lancers are a bit fragile so you need to take good care of them.

4. Park the car in a shade away from direct sunlight. The dashboard plastics deteriorate quite badly due to UV and in many examples the vents etc have fallen off. If your car still has them protect them like gold as they are like gold dust to find to replace (I did this in my car)!

5. Keep an eye on rust patches, easier to fix these up when they are small and not very wide spread. Seal any leaks straight away!

6. Service the car at least every six months even if not being used. Use a mineral oil not a synthetic as this seems to work better in vehicles that don't get a lot of use.

To be honest these are fairly reliable robust cars, just take care of her like you would normally do and should give you many years of happy motoring.

Thanks for your valuable comments bro. really appreciate them ! could you also recommend what types of engine oil/ brake oil are best suited for this model? currently I use Lanka S*p*r Pl*s and didn't know much about break oil types available

Thanks for your valuable comments bro. really appreciate them ! could you also recommend what types of engine oil/ brake oil are best suited for this model? currently I use Lanka S*p*r Pl*s and didn't know much about break oil types available

I use Mobil Super XHP (Its called Mobil Super 1000 or something, service stations will know) but any mineral oil of 5W40, 10W40, 15W40, 20W40 should be good enough for your car. The recommended brake oil is Dot 3 or 4 so nothing special there. But if you get some time flush the entire brake system and replace the fluid (if you want with Dot 4). Brake oil tends to absorb a bit of moisture and over time this causes the hydraulic fluid to become less effective and the brakes spongy. Having said that ask your mechanic to check the status of the brakes as well.

Things just tend to get ignored when you use the car sparingly. If you use it everyday you notice the difference straight away and can get it attended to.

I use Mobil Super XHP (Its called Mobil Super 1000 or something, service stations will know) but any mineral oil of 5W40, 10W40, 15W40, 20W40 should be good enough for your car. The recommended brake oil is Dot 3 or 4 so nothing special there. But if you get some time flush the entire brake system and replace the fluid (if you want with Dot 4). Brake oil tends to absorb a bit of moisture and over time this causes the hydraulic fluid to become less effective and the brakes spongy. Having said that ask your mechanic to check the status of the brakes as well.

Things just tend to get ignored when you use the car sparingly. If you use it everyday you notice the difference straight away and can get it attended to.

;) ;) :agree: