• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vw Golf Mk1 Diesel

Boothebee

Guys im planing on buying a Volkswagen Golf Mark 1 Diesel. Can anybody tell me how much one of those would cost in Sri Lanka these days. And if anybody out there uses one can u please tell me the practicality and issues u have with them. And even about a MK1 petrol would do.

Thank you in advance..

send a pm to forum member harshansenadhir he owns a volkswagen golf mark 1 diesel i think he might able to help you on this matter

btw next time please use normal fonts fella good luck.

A good solid car I rekon but finding a well preserved specimen would be tough.

Have seen many ill treated, Jap engine transplaned specimens being sold anywhere from 400k to as high as 650k. There are ones in exceptionally good condition and being quoted very high prices, say around 1 mil. All depending on the condition, the engine and the gear box. Turbo engined, 5 FWD, Power Steering models usually quoting over 650k.

There are few common issues, at least the ones I know of.

1. Front lower arm and the chassis (like) component where lower arm is being fixed is getting corroded and most of the cars with after market modifications to prevent it or repairs after it's being broken.

2. The opening in the firewall/bulkhead for the clutch cable and also act as a hinge point tend to rupture apart. This was a common weakness and may not be there in the ones where some tinker work has been done.

Also the engines blocks are very sensitive for overheating and you should prevent overheating at any cost as I heard. hope this helps and I know very little about Golfs as yet, specially I'm still studying the electrical system which is bit complicated. Negative pulse operated relays in certain accessories and the LED based indicators in the panel are still confusing me :)

Edited by harshansenadhir

thanks alot mate.. Ill be buying one soon.. Found a few, as u said pretty ill treated.. so Im looking for something in a better condition.. Wanna do the resto parts by myself.. Now im driving a Daihatsu charade G11, a pretty good car but slightly under powered to be using AC while carrying cupla ppl in the back. that's why Im tryna get a golf..and I have always adored golfs and drove one some 3 years and had been crazy about them since.

can you tell me a bit about it on the long run? as in fuel costs and reliability stuff.. and are there any engine swap options for them like a 1.9TDI or something?

thanks again.. :)