• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Small Crack In Windscreen !!

Ian Chan

Hey guys.. I just noticed a small crack in my windscreen which i believe has happened due to a small stone. It has gone to the windscreen middle layer (paper) but can't feel it from inside.. It's about 3mm.. I need to know if there's anything i can do without replacing a windscreen ? I heard that when you go on bumpy roads it spreads and destroys the windscreen, is this true ?? :speechless-smiley-019: Thanks in advance!!! :mixed-smiley-024:

Hey guys.. I just noticed a small crack in my windscreen which i believe has happened due to a small stone. It has gone to the windscreen middle layer (paper) but can't feel it from inside.. It's about 3mm.. I need to know if there's anything i can do without replacing a windscreen ? I heard that when you go on bumpy roads it spreads and destroys the windscreen, is this true ?? :speechless-smiley-019: Thanks in advance!!! :mixed-smiley-024:

Try calling Samarasinghe windscreen house,dunno if they do repairs though...Or see if our Sylvi sir would find it in his heart to help you out without ripping you off.

Is it a crack or a chip? And how big is the crack / chip?

Depending on the nature of the damage you could even buy a repair kit and do it yourself. Repair kits cost about US$ 20. Check out this link for a good guide to the process. Some kits come with their own instructional video or you could refer to youtube for instructions as there's a ton of videos available.

Until you repair the windscreen avoid driving on bumpy roads as you mentioned, and avoid subjecting the windscreen to sudden temperature changes (parking it in the sun, then garaging it etc.) for this may cause the crack / chip to spread.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

I also had a small chip on my windscreen due to a stone thrown from the front vehicle. But anyway i changed the windscreen. I claimed from the insurance. If you have "Special windscreen cover" it wont effect your existing no claim bonus as well. I had no issues with the insurance company as well. They asked me to go to the company and replace the windscreen and they did all payment related things.

KMeeg.

I also had a small chip on my windscreen due to a stone thrown from the front vehicle. But anyway i changed the windscreen. I claimed from the insurance. If you have "Special windscreen cover" it wont effect your existing no claim bonus as well. I had no issues with the insurance company as well. They asked me to go to the company and replace the windscreen and they did all payment related things.

KMeeg.

Care to mention the insurance provider?

It's actually a small chip.. I prefer to do something without replacing a new one. the chip is about 4mm * 44mm big.. Thanks for the Windshield repair kit thing.. :sport-smiley-003: I'll keep searching a bit more.. :speechless-smiley-004:

check with kleenpark. You don't want to ignore the chip. I did and now have a crack running halfway through my windshield.

I had 2 small cracks in mine as well and there's a person in Kollupitiya (Mr Jayasinghe) who fixed it for me. He does all the work for Prestiege also and will be cheaper when approached directly. I can't remember his number but it was in a house on the sea side near NTB

in 2000 i bought a toyota corsa with small windscreen crack ,he said that its because of a small stone & he told me that he used some glue & filled it.he guaranteed me that crack wont big..usually i used that car around 3 years without any problem of that crack.i think that glue thing is a good solution :-)

in 2000 i bought a toyota corsa with small windscreen crack ,he said that its because of a small stone & he told me that he used some glue & filled it.he guaranteed me that crack wont big..usually i used that car around 3 years without any problem of that crack.i think that glue thing is a good solution :-)

'osanda19',

Some times that will work but due to temperature changes you cannot predict what will be the end result of glue filled crack.

There are special resins formulated to use on Windshields. which is cured by UV Rays forcing into the crack.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

seriously? selling a car because you got a tiny crack in the windshield? Just ignore sylvi's b.s. and get the crack fixed. I've had a couple fixed on previous cars ( not in S.L) and had no problems at all. Both were subjected high heat and cold (-25f to 100f) No problems with the cracks for the years ive had the cars. The job needs to be done right and the glue epoxy needs to be injected under a vacuum. Just go to KP and see if they can do it. It should be good for years, if not the life of the car. If it does crack, you can always change the windshield. A lot cheaper than buuying a new vehicle. And please stop making ridiculous statements.

Maybe, but i would feel better with a new windshield itself.. I mean especially with the half ass jobs our srilankans are known to do, why take a chance?

why not? it's not going to kill you. If there is a problem you will notice it way before it turns into a safety hazard,

• 2 years later...
I had a small crack about 8mm on front windscreen. This happened while parked at Kandalama Hotel. I thought I need to repair the windscreen. However I got it repaired for 5000/= from following place. They are doing a proper job. Worth for the price.

http://srilanka.novusglass.com/

Ah, got the windscreen damaged during the annual trip? :D

BTW, the contact given is none other than our forum member, Sylvi.

I had a small crack about 8mm on front windscreen. This happened while parked at Kandalama Hotel. I thought I need to repair the windscreen. However I got it repaired for 5000/= from following place. They are doing a proper job. Worth for the price.

http://srilanka.novusglass.com/

Why you had to come in your own car? they didn't give transports?