• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dialog Tv Or Peo Tv

pontiac_gto

Currently i'm using Peo tv facility from S1T. But the connection is giving some problems. Sometimes the signal is lossing and wait for few minutes. So i planned to move to D1alog TV. But I have heard that also giving some signaling issues. So please help me to decide.

Thanks

Edited by pontiac_gto

Currently i'm using Peo tv facility from S1T. But the connection is giving some problems. Sometimes the signal is lossing and wait for few minutes. So i planned to move to D1alog TV. But I have heard that also giving some signaling issues. So please help me to decide.

Thanks

I encounter this at times too. Didn't bother too much since it was not a serious one. 99% of the time it works fine.

I do not know about DTV but the reasons for having PEO are, 1) I got the connection free. 2) TSTV

Dont know much about peotv but heard that it has some extra channels than DTV plus the recording feature. Only problem that I've encountered with DTV is the signals get weak when its raining, have to wait about 5-15 mins for it to get back up. very annoying when you are watching a good program. other that that picture quality and service is reasonably good. Also LBN is available in some places, heard they are good too.

Members,

I was one of the few subscribers who subscribed for POTV.

Before SLT inaugurated the system I was invited for the demonstration at BMICH. 6 to 10 months before they commercially launched POTV.

On existing telephone line I had ADSL so got a free connection as far as I remember.

Then the system was excellent better than all the other systems available at that time in Srilanka.

Now I have two connections for last six months POTV is giving trouble. Difficult to start have to be on line with the remote on the hand for 5 minutes to picture to come up. The picture quality had deteriorated get few different colored squares dots and blank picture no proper sound. Picture stop with the sound for few seconds and start again.

One connection is very bad. I have on and off ( Restart) number of times the modem near the monitor to get a good quality picture on this connection I have all problems.

One connection corrected by changing the port it is working satisfactory.

I had complained for last 6 months number of times to the help desk. The repair team come and say they will change the port and do a line test one technician said the truth that there is a drop on the line due to this they have problems, more and more POTV subscribers had increased no replacement modems are available. So we have to incur this type of problems until they improve the POTV service till they get their new equipment.

My ADSL is OK working perfectly I get a average speed of .9 MB some times go more than 1 MB. Three computers work very well.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I've had many Peo TV users in our office (more than a dozen) start complaining recently about the delay, pixelating and the picture getting stuck. This seems to be a recent glitch, might be caused by congestion in their distribution network or a misalignment in their hub. If people complained to SLT, I'm sure they will fix it - it's not like they've run out of bandwidth or suddenly had their customer base grow by 50%!

With DTV (or any other satellite based DTH) the rain interruption is a given and over time, I've grown to tolerate it. It only becomes a problem when an interesting rugby game or an F1 race finish is in progress :)

I still believe the variety and the quality of channels in DTV is far better than Peo. It's just the fact that DTV has reached its limits and Peo TV has the potential to grow much more in terms of quality, innovation and quantity - that works in favour of Peo.

I've had many Peo TV users in our office (more than a dozen) start complaining recently about the delay, pixelating and the picture getting stuck. This seems to be a recent glitch, might be caused by congestion in their distribution network or a misalignment in their hub. If people complained to SLT, I'm sure they will fix it - it's not like they've run out of bandwidth or suddenly had their customer base grow by 50%!

With DTV (or any other satellite based DTH) the rain interruption is a given and over time, I've grown to tolerate it. It only becomes a problem when an interesting rugby game or an F1 race finish is in progress :)

I still believe the variety and the quality of channels in DTV is far better than Peo. It's just the fact that DTV has reached its limits and Peo TV has the potential to grow much more in terms of quality, innovation and quantity - that works in favour of Peo.

'vishkid',

Your office members are correct, there is some other problem in their SLT end because I have two connections on two floors on my flat. One connection working perfectly after changing the port. other one too they changed the port number of times but the service never improved I suspect the control modem is defective.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I was one of the few subscribers who subscribed for POTV.

Before SLT inaugurated the system I was invited for the demonstration at BMICH. 6 to 10 months before they commercially launched POTV.

On existing telephone line I had ADSL so got a free connection as far as I remember.

Then the system was excellent better than all the other systems available at that time in Srilanka.

Now I have two connections for last six months POTV is giving trouble. Difficult to start have to be on line with the remote on the hand for 5 minutes to picture to come up. The picture quality had deteriorated get few different colored squares dots and blank picture no proper sound. Picture stop with the sound for few seconds and start again.

One connection is very bad. I have on and off ( Restart) number of times the modem near the monitor to get a good quality picture on this connection I have all problems.

One connection corrected by changing the port it is working satisfactory.

I had complained for last 6 months number of times to the help desk. The repair team come and say they will change the port and do a line test one technician said the truth that there is a drop on the line due to this they have problems, more and more POTV subscribers had increased no replacement modems are available. So we have to incur this type of problems until they improve the POTV service till they get their new equipment.

My ADSL is OK working perfectly I get a average speed of .9 MB some times go more than 1 MB. Three computers work very well.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Wow, they wasted their time and money inviting you to their shindig as you can't remember the name! lol

Hi, I got both peotv and dtv.

Yes, peotv is not resposive as dtv, it even takes 2 -3 of seconds to change a channel. There are some occurrences of the waiting signal message recently but are not that frequent to cause a hassle to me. It's far more stable than the adsl connection. For me peo is a more stable than dtv coz dtv loses the reception due to raining. Also when the reception is lost, peo normally recovers within a minute.

When viewed side by side image quality in peo is better than in DTV. Also dtv has reached their transponder capacity so they cannot add anymore channels without dropping some.

TSTV is also a big win for peo (unfortunately for sri lankan channgels only) and I doubt the recording facility on DTV will be able to compete with that.

On peo I miss the discovery science, but on plus side it has got the travel channel. About the customer service, they replace the peotv router even if its busted due to lightning, a big plus if you got adsl too.

If you are really into this, there's about a 5 second delay in peo tv transmission compared to dtv, which has about a 3 second delay to the normal tv (on local channels).

I say stay with peo, if you've got adsl is it working fine ? Check your splitter and the other little plastic box to see if the wires are burnt inside it.

Edited by Amila G

Wow, they wasted their time and money inviting you to their shindig as you can't remember the name! lol

Fine lets say he did forget something he bought 6 months ago, due to his mind being overloaded with 50 years of automotive experience, all he has to do is just READ the threat title to know it.

I guess years of being a drunkard and a lab-rat for chemical disposal does stuff to your head...

I use the TV mainly only for the sports channel and Start World. Star World is available on TSTV (also Ten sports) which means i can watch the shows any time i want (within 2 days)

Yeah those two channels on TSTV is a huge plus for me aswell.Not to mention the sinhala programmes/dramas and news you can catch up on from all the local channels.They now have Sirasa and all the other MTN channels too.And they enable it on other channels temporarily when there's something special on like the IPL or a world cup.

Cons:-yes it gets stuck from time to time and you have to reset the router.The time it takes to change the channels is a bit long bit I've gotten used to it...and it has no Discovery turbo.

Just want to know, has anyone being able to put up a SAT Dish with a decorder and catch any of the free international channels that are being transmitted via the satellite? Surely SL must be in the range of a foot print from many satellites.

Would love to know.

Just want to know, has anyone being able to put up a SAT Dish with a decorder and catch any of the free international channels that are being transmitted via the satellite? Surely SL must be in the range of a foot print from many satellites.

Would love to know.

You can get DishTV, which is just some dude whose guys come by and sets the same up for you at your house. Two dishes, loads of channels (mostly Indian, but the usual suspects are all there) and plenty of HD channels as well, if that's your thing. It costs slightly less than DTV per month (you pay in 6 month installments) and about 12k to set up.

You can get DishTV, which is just some dude whose guys come by and sets the same up for you at your house. Two dishes, loads of channels (mostly Indian, but the usual suspects are all there) and plenty of HD channels as well, if that's your thing. It costs slightly less than DTV per month (you pay in 6 month installments) and about 12k to set up.

'SeanD',

I have tried number of people who offer above systems for last ten years. Then there were no SL Satellite broadcasts they have pay channels. But POTV was the best at the start. Slandered had deteriorated at present.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Would love to know.

I have tried this with my dad, way before DTV or PEOTV came out. he had a 1 big dish and another small one for c band and ku band. had no other equipment only the decoder 2 dishes and the LNB's. but got some information from the internet on how to align and the correct directions. I remember running around moving the dishes trying to get hold of some satellites. It was frustrating but we eventually succeeded, got hold of about 8 satellites and about 70 FTV channels chinese, russian, french some english but mostly indian and some were HD I think. We were delighted when new channels and satellites appeared. from time to time some channels disappeared and new ones popped up and had to rescan to get hold of new channels. Then all of a sudden DTV came out and we moved to that. Still have the rusted old dishes LNB's and the decoder. I'd say its a interesting hobby if you have the equipment and time.

I am waiting for DTV to show MTV sports and Sirasa TV.. I do not know why they can not show it while PEO tv can show it..

yeah me too, but like some members said DTV might have reached their satellite transponders limit, so even if they come to an agreement with MTN they will have to drop some channels to make room.

anyone knows if DTV, PEOTV or LBN will give HD quality anytime soon?

Members,

Twenty years ago I tried to receive satellite TV channels from a large garden umbrella covered with small wire mesh fiber glassed cote with a LMD Getting help of a person who was a college of mine in USA laboratory who was in electronics, we were able to download number channels as "RECLESS" said in his post..

At That time it was fascinating to watch those 200 or more TV channels from other countries some were black and white some had color.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

I've been a PEO Tv user since 2009, and I've only experienced 3 major issues. Once, the ADSL died altogether, they came on the same day I reported it and fixed it. The next was when lightning took the router out last year, they came the next day and replaced it even though it was already a year past warranty expiration. Most recently was a drop in the bitrate despite the fact that the line condition was fine and everything was connecting at 3.5/128. They took a day and a half to fix this (reported Friday evening, fixed by Sunday).

Other than these issues, I've been satisfied with the service, especially considering that my entire phone bill with _all_ the services comes to <5k a month. My only experience with Dialog TV is when I have to go stay at Thulhiriya, and then my friends and I play drinking games based on how often the picture blacks out.

I personally think LBN is the way to go if its covered in your area. I used it for about 7 years when I was in Wellawatte. No problems whatsoever. Sadly they don't cover Borella which kinda sucks.

I am waiting for DTV to show MTV sports and Sirasa TV.. I do not know why they can not show it while PEO tv can show it..

DTV had a discussion with MBC a long while back and MBC backed out boasting that they do no need DTH to keep their popularity.

However that proved to be a classical foot in mouth because most of the DTV subscribers stopped watching Sirasa and MTV channels without bothering for a separate antenna. LBN and PEO subscribers too ..

As a damage limitation MBC went back to PEO to get listed but DTV might not hv been interested, even if they could hv made transponder space. I know for a fact that most of the DTV subscribers on the DTV blog do not want MBC on board due to the nature of their shows and their aforementioned attitude.

But Dialog do hv a space problem as well, so MBC might come on board if Dialog gets more transponder space - but that's a big if.

anyone knows if DTV, PEOTV or LBN will give HD quality anytime soon?

DTV unlikely - if they cannot mange the SDTV channel quota, where will they find space for HD?

Other's hv great potential.

I have tried this with my dad, way before DTV or PEOTV came out. he had a 1 big dish and another small one for c band and ku band. had no other equipment only the decoder 2 dishes and the LNB's. but got some information from the internet on how to align and the correct directions. I remember running around moving the dishes trying to get hold of some satellites. It was frustrating but we eventually succeeded, got hold of about 8 satellites and about 70 FTV channels chinese, russian, french some english but mostly indian and some were HD I think. We were delighted when new channels and satellites appeared. from time to time some channels disappeared and new ones popped up and had to rescan to get hold of new channels. Then all of a sudden DTV came out and we moved to that. Still have the rusted old dishes LNB's and the decoder. I'd say its a interesting hobby if you have the equipment and time.

Yes, it is a vey interesting subjact and it give you a better picture of what's happening in the world around us than what shown on our local channels. Sorry, to say but the local channels don't cover any international news, they run thought the int'l. news in 60 sec's like the larger world does not matter to us in Sri Lanka.

I think we should be more knowledgeable about whats going on, and I just cannot understand why we still are 20-30 yrs backwards when it comes to integreting with the rest of the world on the technological front.

Edited by panhida