• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

406 Vs Gen 2

DUMINDU

hi all pls tell me pros and cons of 406 d9 executive mannual petrol and a gen2 . hoping to buy one or the other. currently usin a ceres 93'. im a daily runner about 60km/day. thanx.

Two very different propositions. If you search the forum there are a number of good threads on each which should give you all the information you need. Just remember, before you decide on a vehicle what you first need to think about is what you are going to use it for, for how long do you plan to own it and what are your priorities. Also most importantly your budget....

i agree don,

my budget is around 1.5 to two mil. i love the looks,. bit of performance, comfort and a tinge of elegance. 10km/l is ok for me. the problem is the spares and maintenance. thinking of the D9, i never used to a euro car. so the mechanics im not that familiar with. i saw in one thread d9 is not a good car for daily running, is that because of the maintenance cost? of course im hoping to keep it for another 2 yrs. some say d9 is inherited with some electronic malfunctions and sensor problems where he expenses are very high and not exactly mentioned the common ones. need to know a reliable place for repairs of a Peugeot. i live in awissawella. thanks for helping me guys.

i agree don,

my budget is around 1.5 to two mil. i love the looks,. bit of performance, comfort and a tinge of elegance. 10km/l is ok for me. the problem is the spares and maintenance. thinking of the D9, i never used to a euro car. so the mechanics im not that familiar with. i saw in one thread d9 is not a good car for daily running, is that because of the maintenance cost? of course im hoping to keep it for another 2 yrs. some say d9 is inherited with some electronic malfunctions and sensor problems where he expenses are very high and not exactly mentioned the common ones. need to know a reliable place for repairs of a Peugeot. i live in awissawella. thanks for helping me guys.

The D9 is an excellent daily driver, the problem is you almost need to find a good mechanic before you buy the car, as you need to have somebody with the correct technical knowledge to maintain them. Even something simple as not knowing where to jack up the car, how to take a certain part off can ruin the car. This is because most of our technicians are only familiar with Japanese cars and old Japanese cars at that. Also I am not sure if it does 10KM/L in City traffic, more like 7-8 maximum 9 on a manual.

Read up on the Gen 2 as well, there are a number of good topics.

The D9 is an excellent daily driver, the problem is you almost need to find a good mechanic before you buy the car, as you need to have somebody with the correct technical knowledge to maintain them. Even something simple as not knowing where to jack up the car, how to take a certain part off can ruin the car. This is because most of our technicians are only familiar with Japanese cars and old Japanese cars at that. Also I am not sure if it does 10KM/L in City traffic, more like 7-8 maximum 9 on a manual.

Read up on the Gen 2 as well, there are a number of good topics.

Don, if the Peugeot is so difficult to maintain in SL, does that mean that the ones kicking about are probably, to use your word, ruined (and hence for sale possibly)?

It's not being so difficult to maintain and I'm sure Don didn't mention anything about difficult to maintain. It's about finding the right person/place to carry out maintenance and let me add one thing, that is try not to be penny wise in maintaining these cars.

getting 10kmpl is very very optimistic though I've met owners claiming they get 11kmpl. The max I squeezed out of 1.8l manual is 9 kmpl and 8kmpl on a 2.0l auto. But on average don't expect beyond 8kmpl.

I saw OP was planning to buy an executive grade D9. Would be lovely car for daily driving with the options it has, however, I doubt whether you would be able to get a good executive for 1.5 mil, may be you should stretch towards 2.0 mil mark to get hold of a good executive.

Where's Peri to advise on Gen2?

Let me take the floor on Peri's absence.

As far as Gen2 is concerned, the max u r going to get is 9 km/l. 7-8 is pretty much normal for a Gen 2. The car is pretty good in handling and comfort is in par with many Euros. Definitely better than the mainstream Japs in terms of comfort. For a well maintained specimen, you may need to shell out around 1.7 mill and you can get hold of a 2005/06 B/N import for that price.

Spares are cheap and agent is alright. There is a guy I know who brings down Proton spares. His prices are ok. Can let u know the details if u decide to buy a gen 2.

ALWAYS... I mean ALWAYS look for the 1.6 litre version Brand New imported one. Avoid the Singapore imported cars and 1.3ltr cars like the plague.

A word of caution - recently, couple of finance companies auctioned off a number of Protons (Gen2, Impian and Wajas). Lot of baiyas bought them, so be a bit wary about cars that appear nice and shiny from outside.

All in all, its a nice car to drive and own. A real eye turner. Having said that, I have a lot of respect for D9 Execs too. If I had these two cars as my options, it will be a tough decision for me.

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Mr. Expert,

406 = Peugeot 406

Gen2 = PROTON GEN2

Crosswind.

'Crosswind',

I am not a expert I am a ordinary automobile technician. Thank you for your comment.

I requested that question as priority was to Peugeot 406 and there were number of posts were for same then you posted your reply about Proton GEN2.

Yes Topic starter wanted comparison of both cars. you did post about your opinion of proton. I should not have questioned same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Don, if the Peugeot is so difficult to maintain in SL, does that mean that the ones kicking about are probably, to use your word, ruined (and hence for sale possibly)?

Some will obviously be ShintaroX. To be honest this is the case with many cars in Sri Lanka, irrespective of whether you are European or not. Very few mechanics have the patience, the skill and the interest to do a good job and many vehicles are ruined as a result and as vehicles become more complicated the bigger the problem is.

I sometimes think I should give up IT and open up mechanic shop (which my mother actually suggested when I was doing my A/L's since I loved cars so much), at least I take pride in my work and am accountable for it. I remember many moons ago when my father bought a Mazda station wagon and I spent many hours in Delkanda and found even little things like the original mud guards, missing dashboard pieces screws etc and restored it to original condition. Then a couple of years after was dismantled for tinkering and the whole car was ruined. I was heart broken.

But with European cars it takes a different dimention. You genuinely need to know how to take something apart and have the right tools for it because some things are not so obvious, so you either need the service manual or need to be trained to maintain that particular model. I remember I once struggled for a while to find the fuse box in a Vauxhall (opel) only to realise its hidden behind some panel which requires a screw driver to take off. You also don't have a lot of room to operate so at times you need to drop the engine down to perform maintenance, just little things.

On a more positive note, I once went to the Police auctions to find a number of engine less 405's offered up for auction. But there was not a spec of rust on any of the cars :) That is build quality for you.

• Like 2

Where's Peri to advise on Gen2?

Peri just got back to Colombo after vacationing in the cooler climes, and is contemplating getting a new left leg after driving a first gen Discovery for something like 500kms. Or maybe I'll just visit a spa for a massage. Tho driving a police blue Disco does have side benefits, its just that I'm not enough of an asshole to take full advantage. Wut tu du, no?

But more on topic, I cannot compare a 406 and a Gen2, I've never driven a 406 so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment. My thoughts on the Gen2 are posted somewhere, a little searching should bring it up, tho I think Crosswind has managed just fine

thanks all of you guys..

still i'm worrying what to get. the main problem for me is to find a good chap to do the little little things when in need. the time is the biggest problem for me as a medical person. i live some 50km away from col and wont be able to drive (or toe) all the way to colombo like twice a week. pls name if yo know of a sound person(s). tks

'Straga',

It is your Opinion. For what reson I should be sarcastic. What do i gain.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hiya Sylvi, Please allow me to explain in simple terms on Straga's behalf. Straga wasn't being sarcastic when he was saying that Crosswind was being sarcastic about you and not that you're being sarcastic about Straga but Straga didn't say whether you are sarcastic or not and it is not his opinion about Crosswind's sarcasm, in fact it is fact! Got it? Good. Don't forget to say 'Dear Shintaro, thank you for explaining, love Sylvi'! I'm waiting for it now! Oh also if you know anything about the history of sarcasm within the automotive trade, please regale us!

• Like 1

thanks all of you guys..

still i'm worrying what to get. the main problem for me is to find a good chap to do the little little things when in need. the time is the biggest problem for me as a medical person. i live some 50km away from col and wont be able to drive (or toe) all the way to colombo like twice a week. pls name if yo know of a sound person(s). tks

Mate, personally I'd be too scared to buy one of these things before finding the right guys and living 50km away from col means a lot of miles. I dunno, choice is yours of course, but maybe something newer, easier to get going might be the choice, cos see the way Don describes it, these pugs (to satisfy harshansenadhir) are not difficult to maintain, but seem to require attention, money, certainly your interest and time. Do you have enough of all these components, doc?

thanks all of you guys..

first up, why are u worried about the car getting broken down twice a week? the key is to get a one in good condition and get it inspected by someone who knows the stuff, before u go for it.

With Gen2's you shouldn't have this kind of problems unless u pick up a lemon. A lot of internal components like the alternator for example, are from Mitsubishi, although Gen2 has a in-house developed engine.

One more fact to consider, because u are living a bit away from Colombo - Gen2 has low ground clearance (so does D9 exec) compared to many cars. So pls check that too.

Hiya Sylvi, Please allow me to explain in simple terms on Straga's behalf. Straga wasn't being sarcastic when he was saying that Crosswind was being sarcastic about you and not that you're being sarcastic about Straga but Straga didn't say whether you are sarcastic or not and it is not his opinion about Crosswind's sarcasm, in fact it is fact! Got it? Good. Don't forget to say 'Dear Shintaro, thank you for explaining, love Sylvi'! I'm waiting for it now! Oh also if you know anything about the history of sarcasm within the automotive trade, please regale us!

Dear Mr. Shintarox,

I have plenty of past regale stories as well as in the automotive trade, do not want to heart feelings of who are in automobile industry.

During my technical career I have come across Qulified automobile engineers requesting bribes. It is a shame for the professioN.

I do post to this forum because I grew up in automobile industry, Iike to be involved in technical matters and still active. I started As a technician under my late father, at present I have handed over my business to a young person, To carry on for the beneficent of future automobile user generation.

This post is not relavent to the topic only a reply to your post.

Best of luck.

Sylvi WIJESINGHE.

Mate, personally I'd be too scared to buy one of these things before finding the right guys and living 50km away from col means a lot of miles. I dunno, choice is yours of course, but maybe something newer, easier to get going might be the choice, cos see the way Don describes it, these pugs (to satisfy harshansenadhir) are not difficult to maintain, but seem to require attention, money, certainly your interest and time. Do you have enough of all these components, doc?

Oh thanks for the trouble you took in trying to satisfy me, but no need, cuz as a brand Pugs never have let me down and neither it did cost me a fortune to own. I've driven a Peugeot for more than 3 years when I was only a trainee employee who only could pocket out it's fuel bill (literaly no maintenance nor services!!) Again, from my experience of more than 9 years with the same brand, it's a matter of finding right people to maintain and spend right/wisely for maintenance.

One fact to mention, bought my newer addition, 406 Executive, in June last year till then i've only done the oil changes and change of a lower arm bush which was needing to be replaced even when I'm buying it.

thanks all of you guys..

Trust me you don't have to drive to a garage twice a week with a 406 and none of my 406s were ever towed except in case of an accident once. :)

I am using pug 406 2000cc automatic car for daily travel (around 60km/day). (fill the tank fully in twice a month is enough for me:)) Fuel consumption is around 8-9 km/l in average with AC in traffic. Yesterday i noticed that in E01, it shows 6L/100KM - means 16.67 km/l. :))

I had Swift 1.3 (old model), toyota AE110 (gas converted) and Nissan Wagen for the daily travel. I don't feel much differences in fuel consumption.

Edited by indikap
  • Like 1

I am using pug 406 2000cc automatic car for daily travel (around 60km/day). (fill the tank fully in twice a month is enough for me:)) Fuel consumption is around 8-9 km/l in average with AC in traffic. Yesterday i noticed that in E01, it shows 6L/100KM - means 16.67 km/l. :))

I had Swift 1.3 (old model), toyota AE110 (gas converted) and Nissan Wagen for the daily travel. I don't feel much differences in fuel consumption.

16.67 km/l? I'd say don't trust the trip computer all the time. ;)

Is this 6/100 figure, current fuel consumption or average figure.

thanx harsha and shintaroX for the comments.

about the ground clearance.. that'll not be a big issue the regular route of mine is ok generally and im using a ceres which does have a low clearence. any way im in the process of hunting THE tec and the car at the same time. wil see my luck! thanx guys

• 1 year later...
Let me take the floor on Peri's absence.

As far as Gen2 is concerned, the max u r going to get is 9 km/l. 7-8 is pretty much normal for a Gen 2. The car is pretty good in handling and comfort is in par with many Euros. Definitely better than the mainstream Japs in terms of comfort. For a well maintained specimen, you may need to shell out around 1.7 mill and you can get hold of a 2005/06 B/N import for that price.

Spares are cheap and agent is alright. There is a guy I know who brings down Proton spares. His prices are ok. Can let u know the details if u decide to buy a gen 2.

ALWAYS... I mean ALWAYS look for the 1.6 litre version Brand New imported one. Avoid the Singapore imported cars and 1.3ltr cars like the plague.

A word of caution - recently, couple of finance companies auctioned off a number of Protons (Gen2, Impian and Wajas). Lot of baiyas bought them, so be a bit wary about cars that appear nice and shiny from outside.

All in all, its a nice car to drive and own. A real eye turner. Having said that, I have a lot of respect for D9 Execs too. If I had these two cars as my options, it will be a tough decision for me.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hello, " ALWAYS... I mean ALWAYS look for the 1.6 litre version Brand New imported one. Avoid the Singapore imported cars and 1.3ltr cars like the plague"

why 1.3 ones are not good :), i thought due to the low engine capacity 1.3<1.6 fuel consumption will be lower. can you please explain bit more about this issue, and plus both 1.3 ones and 1.6 ones are selling at almost same price. and how to identified whether its imported from singapore or not, ?