• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absobers

kmcsb

Im having eg8 and i feels my front ones got expired while comparing other eg8's..many people says tokico shocks going well with honda..is tht true.. I bought it nearly 2monrhs ago..when car parked , can seen front is lower then rear..therefore its diffiult to drive on broken roads.

So guys what do u think ???? if i need to replace thm wht should i buy.. What is the model number for suitable TOKICO.. Mine honda eg8 94 model..

Hw much woud costs and where the cheepest..

PEOPLE WHO USES EG8 KNOWS WHATS THE MODEL NUMBER IT SUPPORTS PLZ REPLY...

Then i can buy them from aboard..plz guys...

Im having eg8 and i feels my front ones got expired while comparing other eg8's..many people says tokico shocks going well with honda..is tht true.. I bought it nearly 2monrhs ago..when car parked , can seen front is lower then rear..therefore its diffiult to drive on broken roads.

So guys what do u think ???? if i need to replace thm wht should i buy.. What is the model number for suitable TOKICO.. Mine honda eg8 94 model..

Hw much woud costs and where the cheepest..

PEOPLE WHO USES EG8 KNOWS WHATS THE MODEL NUMBER IT SUPPORTS PLZ REPLY...

Then i can buy them from aboard..plz guys...

Cars will ride a bit low in the front especially when no load is there at the back. Shock absorbers at original spec don't determine the ride height of the car as they just absorb the shocks, they don't push the car upright. That is the job of the springs. Check things like shock absorber mounts, the tyre sizes, whether they are the same throughout and spring tension. If in doubt get your cars suspension checked out.

As for brand of shocks, I've always gone with KYB the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of shock absorbers for most Japanese cars. But no need to change shocks if they are not faulty.

'kmcsb',

Don had given you very good advice about your problem of the car, check all what he has told.

First of all get your shock absorbers tested to find out they are faulty or not.

KYB shocks they are good if the report says that shocks are bad.

Nalaka" 55 Hydepark corner contact number 2688109/ 2699613/ 2684301 has a shocksorber testing machine near arpico shoroom enter from Union place. In front of that KYB have their shock absorbers sales center.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Cars will ride a bit low in the front especially when no load is there at the back. Shock absorbers at original spec don't determine the ride height of the car as they just absorb the shocks, they don't push the car upright. That is the job of the springs.

Its funny how in Sri Lanka one of the " good " aspects of a car is the higher ground clearance, when in other countries people try to lower the cars....

Btw does anyone know where I can get hold of some good lowering springs ?

Its funny how in Sri Lanka one of the " good " aspects of a car is the higher ground clearance, when in other countries people try to lower the cars....

All down to the crappy roads we have :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Subaru+legacy+springs&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• 2 weeks later...

my problem is not the shocks being hard machan.I feel they have failed after one and half months time of installation.may be too soft then.

Why do you think they have failed? Have you noticed liquid leakage or does the car bounce around?

no machan when i put in a normal hole even normal speed eke some times the tyre hits the body with "dokos" sound

That is nothing to do with shock absorbers. What they do is when the spring gets compressed when you hit a pot hole it stops the spring from retracting too quickly absorbing the shock. Read up on line and you will understand what I mean. Your issue is more related to something like suspension bushes, steering components, shock or engine mount failure.

Take your car to your mechanic and ask him to investigate the cause of the noise. Tokiko is a good brand of shock absorber as long as you get the genuine item. I prefer hydraulic KYB units though.

changed my rear shocks to a pair of KYB's.the prob solved.but i cant still say they are bad cuz once a mechanic at stafford told me that it is not the way they put bolts to the tokico ones.so i dunno should see

Sounds like the Tokicos were installed incorrectly.

• 3 years later...

I recently replaced my shocks and I want to share the experience which might help you guys. And my vehicle is a FD4 2006.

Symptoms :

nose dive when it brakes (compare with car with good shocks, when you brake the nose dives a lot in worn shocks)

interior too much rattle when hitting potholes

bigger potholes it hits the damper and a thud sound comes

overall very uncomfortable ride

Decided to get KYB (japanese gas and cheaper than Showa which was stock)

Bought KYB and didnt fit (the fronts didnt fit the coil and exisitng rubber parts, but the rears worked cz that wasnt so complicated)

Returned the fronts and bought Showa (comes in honda packaging) from namaratne motors (cheaper than teckmotors or access)

And adjusted the rubber to fit the strut mold but fortunately there is a coil spot cut in the new ones (no other option)

There is an online KYB shock part find if you give your make model and year, so you can check with them if they have the correct part.

They said for toyotas its all fine, but for hondas they dont get the exact parts. So better be mindful about this.

• Like 2

I recently replaced my shocks and I want to share the experience which might help you guys. And my vehicle is a FD4 2006.

Symptoms :

nose dive when it brakes (compare with car with good shocks, when you brake the nose dives a lot in worn shocks)

interior too much rattle when hitting potholes

bigger potholes it hits the damper and a thud sound comes

overall very uncomfortable ride

Decided to get KYB (japanese gas and cheaper than Showa which was stock)

Bought KYB and didnt fit (the fronts didnt fit the coil and exisitng rubber parts, but the rears worked cz that wasnt so complicated)

Returned the fronts and bought Showa (comes in honda packaging) from namaratne motors (cheaper than teckmotors or access)

And adjusted the rubber to fit the strut mold but fortunately there is a coil spot cut in the new ones (no other option)

There is an online KYB shock part find if you give your make model and year, so you can check with them if they have the correct part.

They said for toyotas its all fine, but for hondas they dont get the exact parts. So better be mindful about this.

If it didn't fit, the replacement part was probably not right. Replacing shocks shouldn't be this complicated on a Civic.

• Like 1

When I gave the model, thats the part that was recommended by kyb (taas). And the guy in the workshop refused to install it saying that it doesnt fit with the coil's rubber ends.

But the guy from taas told it might work removing the rubber insulation bit. So I said I dont want to entirely remove the rubber part which was used to retain the coil from slipping.

That's why i opted for the Showa one even though it was a tad different. All the slots were identical, but only the coil retainer bit at the end was different. I have to admit that it is

not the exact same model number as the one I had, but namaratne guys said they have sold this for many fd chassis.

Best is to go to stafford and they will get you the exact part obviously but I didnt go because honestly I didnt have the money for it.

And even when I went for a cheaper options kyb also didnt have the exact part number mentioned in their part finder catalogue. They just claim that the one they had works, but

the workshop guys said they had few issues with hondas previously.

"Replacing shocks shouldn't be this complicated on a Civic." this is very correct when the specific part is available and when you can afford it :)

• 2 weeks later...

have you found a place ?

btw interesting information as I'm also waiting for my next Salary... Called Tass they told me they have them, but haven't been there yet.